1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips 37pf9986 and denon 1910

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by killer10971, Jan 7, 2005.

1. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hi

i have just ordered the denon 1910 to go with my 37pf9986 , could someone let me know to use the dvi or the component output for best quality so i can start buying cables.

i am a new boy at this but i know that these are video only cables and i have a 5.1/dts setup , but i am looking to upgrade to mid level system so any opinions or reccomendations let me know

many thanks all

2. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not an expert, as i'm farly new to this AV lark myself, but.... the DVI cable should, theroretically at least, be better. Something about less digital-analogue-digital conversions. Although if it's hugely better than a well done component output/input is open for debate.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Denon outputs a pure 720p Digital Progressive Scan signal. (Also 1080i) Connect this via its DVI output to the TV's DVI input.

This allows the DVD to pick up digital info from the disk and bung it directly onto the screen digitally. Results will be, predictably, superb. Better than Component? Not much by all accounts, but will improve with increased digital streaming of HiDef discs.

You then need to connect the Denon to your AV amp via the optical or digital electrical outputs to provide the Audio, because DVI doesn't carry audio. As a backup to this also connect the RCA audio outputs from your AV amp to the RCA inputs on the TV. However, because this is an analogue signal you may have some synchronisation problems with the digital picture. Hook up the Scart too...

...and away you go!

Jimmy

4. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been getting some superb results with the 37PF9986 and 1910 using a DVI-DVI cable from Supra. Plus an optical digital cable from the 1910 to my Yamaha 5.1 amp.
    Having experimented with settings - I generally settle on 576p or 1080i via DVI with most movie DVDs, reverting to RGB Scart for watching DVDs of video based material. I got my Supra DVI cable from http://www.hificables.co.uk/ - I'm using a 2 metre cable which cost £40, and it is a high quality cable. They offer a range from 1 to 12 metres.
    (choose the shortest that will match your setup).

5. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    many thanks all

i thought dvi , could someone tell me the difference between dvi and dvi d cables as the way i read it dvi can only cope with certain resolutions.

so will a dvi cable be ok and should i try and keep everyting short as possible

cheers

6. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI comes in two flavours DVI-I and DVI-D. DVI-I accepts analogue and digital signals, DVI-D just digital. DVD players have DVI-D output. Flat panel TVs will usually accept DVD-D and DVI-I input (inc the Philips). It just means that the TV can accept digital and analogue signals. DVI-I is fully compatible with DVI-D and offers the same resolutions. For watching DVDs you need a DVI-D to DVI-D cable (this is what is normally supplied for Home Cinema use). Regarding cable lengths, a good quality DVI cable (such as Supra) is reliable up to 8 metres in length for 576/720/1080. Anything longer and only 576 is supported.