Philips 37PF9965C...Internal/External tuner???

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by muzzi, Mar 3, 2005.

1. muzzi

muzzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I have seen this TV on sale for £1400 new including stand. The retailer says that it has an internal tuner, but i can only find research material with an external tuner (e-box).

Was it ever produced with an internal tuner?

Does this sound like a good price for the old technology?

Cheers people.

Muzzi :confused:

2. BertM

BertM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think not. According to the service manual for the 37 and 42 inch 9965 models, the panels come with a variety of connections, but none with HF input.

I own a 42PF9965 which has a fairly good picture when used with an external scaler/deinterlacer (in my case a DVDO iScan HD). With the media box the panel suffers from colour banding and solarisation, but has the smoothest panning I have ever seen.
    So, yes, the screen itself gives good value for money, but quality with e-box is average.

But this is my opinion about the 42PF9965, the 37" panel might have different performance (same pixel count, but slightly smaller screen, but I don't know what that would do to the picture. Maybe a tad sharper?)

regards,
    Bert

3. muzzi

muzzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks Bert,

A friend of mine owns the 37" varient with the external tuner and by all accounts i don't think the picture is too bad with sky+. Tho granted, it's not as good as a CRT.

I'll give the retailer another ring tomorrow to try and get a final answer to see if it does or doesn't come with the seperate tuner.

i think i may have to take the plunge unless anyone knows of a better quality screen for the same money? :) :) :)

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't recommend those old Philips ALiS models - the picture quality isn't atrocious, but it's pretty poor. Digital Natural Motion is a great bit of trickery indeed, but is wasted on that model really.

Look at the '9946' range instead - for £1500 you can get the 42PF9946. I bought one the other week, and its great - it can't be faulted at its price. There is no external box, but connectivity is shall we say lacking - only one RGB Scart so you may need a small switching box.

5. muzzi

muzzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I know it's a bit of a sad thing to say, but the **PF9965 just looks better than the 46 model.

Is the remote with the 46 the same as the remote for the 65?

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean the styling/frame? or the picture quality?

I can't say I noticed any difference in styling between the 65s and 46s in the 42" versions.

I do know that the 37PF9946 has different styling (with the speaker shape) than the 42PF9946 - the 42 being sexier.

No idea about the remote - mine is a long, attractive silver affair with a lip to rest it down at an angle, if it helps.

7. muzzi

muzzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Superpixel,

I do mean the styling, in perticular the speaker grills.

Thanks for your advice tho, i'm currently looking at the 37PF9946 at RS for £1099. I think a 42" would be too big as i'm only sat 2.8 meters away.

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think 2.8m is sufficient viewing distance for the 42". Its definitely worth testing out if you agree too, because the 42 inch picture is inherently better to my eyes, is more pleasurable from a size view obviously, and has that styling you prefer...

the 42PF9946 definitely has more attractive speaker grilles than the 37" version, and I'm pretty sure theyre the same as the 9965.

Pop along to Currys and check both things out, armed with a DVD and measuring tape. If the analogue TV feed (change channels with switch on top of the screen, by the way! might save you hunting for it) looks fine at 2.8m then you know it's ok for you...