1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 37PF9965 vs. Panny TH37PA20

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zedzed, Jul 12, 2004.

1. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi folks,

This is my first post here - so be gentle :)

I'm considering buying a plasma - and 37" is the largest the Mrs. will allow! :-( Anyways - I'm looking at these two as they both seem to get decent ratings from the AV magazines.

I can't make up my mind which to get though - so I thought maybe you guys could help out? Does anyone have good or bad experiences with them? Oh ... and I know the TH37PA is the "old" model - so if I can afford it I guess I might go for the 37" Viera model.

Another side question - does anyone know if either of these models can support 720p? My brother works in the US, so if I can get a TV that supports this then I'll get him to bring me back an NTSC xbox - and then I can play games in 720p :)

Thanks in advance ^_^

ZedZed

2. johnny boy

johnny boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the philips 37 pf9965 for just under 1 month
    It's going back to the store because of lack of consistency in picture quality(ntl digital). Pictures are fine on studio shots but suffer greatly on dark scenes or outside broadcast sport(lots of pixel interference actually caused by the pixel plus).
    If its any comfort I have just ordered the 37 viera(friend has one and its an excellent picture) which you should be able to pick up for £2500 with table top stand.

Johnny boy

3. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    We bought the 37 viera about 5 weeks ago and are really pleased picture quality is generally great and the convienance of the whole thing with its built in freeview is brilliant all in all i would thoroughly recommend this plasma notwithstanding the horrifically expensive tv cabinet good luck