1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 37PF9965....things I wish I'd known

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mattie1972, Aug 13, 2004.

1. mattie1972

mattie1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are probably all way ahead of me here...

After doing what I thought was lots of research, I bought my 37PF9965 from John Lewis last month. It was ex-display for £1,800 with 5-year guarantee, so I was pretty chuffed. Plugged in my Arcam DV89, selected prog scan (on the Arcam) and I was less chuffed. Had my research including finding this web site I would have known Philips has a 'different' interpretation of progressive scan. Tried a component to VGA cable (thanks to Joe at TMF for loaning the cable), to send a progressive signal direct through the e-box without the digital processing...but that doesn't work. This was Philips response: "With regards to your query we can advise that we do apologise if you find the product information mis leading. The 37PF9965 will only accept an Interlaced signal via the component connections. Progressive Scan is only available when you connect using the VGA."

Unfortunately my research hadn't extended to finding out what an ALis panel is either. Apart from the energy saving, are there any good things about ALis? I enquired about returning the Philips for a Panasonic Viera 37PE30B? They want to charge me 15% handling, and adding a wall bracket (which the Philips included), and their price of the PE30B (£2,800) would mean £1,500 to swap (in other words, £3,300 in total for a 37PE30B). I'm not a big fan of that idea.

I know that Fujitsu, Hitachi and Yamaha ALis panels accept progressive inputs.
    How does that work when ALis is inherently interlaced? If I got a video scaler
    (like the DVDO Iscan HD or Ultra) to replace the Philips E-Box, could the
    Philips panel accept 720p and 1080i? Does anyone know if the Philips can accept a full resolution input of 1024x1024 from such a video scaler, and whether that would offer a marked improvement?

Having spent some time on this site, I know the Philips is not generally well
    regarded. On the whole I am still happy with it (but then, I don't know any
    better): Sky is a bit hit and miss, PS2 looks great through RGB, but I'm sure
    DVD movies should be better.

Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts.

2. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    With regard to the 15% handling charge, did you buy it from the shop or did you order the set online/by phone? How long have you had the set? If you ordered it by internet/phone and have had it less than 7 working days they cannot charge you 15%. This is straight from the horses mouth...my contact at John Lewis. Good luck.

3. db7000s

db7000s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Friend, I own a 42PF9965 and having gone through the same learning curve I can confirm that progressive scan through component (EXT5) is not possible. Only progressive RGB (EXT1 & EXT2) is supported.

Having tested and tweaked my display I can now say that the quality of a RF signal is dramaticaly improved via Pixel or Movie Plus.
    For DVD viewing I use a PC conected directly via the VGA conector. In this setup I do not have any streaks in dark images or problems with skin color tones.