Philips 37PF9731D vs Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000

monkey121

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying either the Philips 37PF9731D or Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000, but ........

I have heard the philips cant accept a 1080p source even though the screen does, is this true? (this sounds crazy to me)

and the sony suffers from clouding issues.

if anyone has any of these tv's please let me know what you think of it.

Would really appreciate your opinion as I am at a loss to what to go for!!

Many thanks

I'm not sure whether or not the Philips would accept a 1080p signal or not.

Personally my vote is with the Sony despite the atrocious number of defective/cloudy screens they have. The reason for that is that the Philips ones do not give you manual control over the Backlight brightness (the overall brightness of the screen).

That's just my opinion though, I'm sure the Philips LCDs have their fans. I'd just never buy a TV that didn't let you adjust its brightness!

I'm not sure whether or not the Philips would accept a 1080p signal or not.

Personally my vote is with the Sony despite the atrocious number of defective/cloudy screens they have. The reason for that is that the Philips ones do not give you manual control over the Backlight brightness (the overall brightness of the screen).

That's just my opinion though, I'm sure the Philips LCDs have their fans. I'd just never buy a TV that didn't let you adjust its brightness!

I didnt know you couldnt adjust the brightness on the philips!!
and the sony is £200 cheaper :)

On both TVs you can adjust a feature called "Brightness", but on an LCD that's only half of the story. "Brightness" changes the colour of the pixels, whereas "Backlight" (which the Philips doesn't have) changes how much light the screen is actually putting out. You need both (or a very good light sensor built into the TV) to get the best results :smashin:

If you read the 37PF9731D thread and Philips website

You'll find the earlier 37PF9731D models (how you tell this i am not sure) do have backlight problems :thumbsdow

The 37PF9731D can accept 1080P signals but displays them at 1080i :thumbsdow and crazy (the PS3 is out!)

The 37PF9731D does have nice features such as the media card reader and USB :smashin:

The philips is too expensive at £1500 :thumbsdow

Yes the 40W2000 does have backlight problems but there are good sets out there :rolleyes:

The 40W2000 is truly 1080P :smashin:

The 40W2000 is £1250 (ED) :smashin:

I was deliberating over the Philips and Sony before i bought the Sony 46W2000.

My only regret is that Sony have new models coming out in Summer :rolleyes:

I am thinking the Sony as the Philips cant display 1080P
can anyone else give me advice?

borofoga where did you seen the Sony for £1250?

Yeh I would deffo go for the Sony just got one myself, its just amazing! I got mine from Empire Direct for £1250 + £25 for delivery but you can pick up in near a store. Check out other stores they my include postage in the final price.

:smashin:

I am thinking the Sony as the Philips cant display 1080P
can anyone else give me advice?

borofoga where did you seen the Sony for £1250?

Sony can not display 1080p source, it can only 1080i source.

_

Yes it can, the Sony KDL-40W2000 can take 1080p over its HDMI inputs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom