Philips 37PF9731D/10 Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I bought my unit 37PF9731 from Empire Direct at the end of March. I've been impressed by the general picture quality, however I am noticing alot of green colour tinge on Scart or SVHS input's. This occurs mainly on dark pictures on white colours i.e. white hair or white tops in films.

I've played around with colour settings but don't seem able to get this right.

Has anyone else noticed this, if so what do you recommend as optimal settings?

Hi guys and excuse my ignorance but I have 2 questions:

(1) How can I set the time??

I have the 42pf9731 and I can't find any option in the menus. The only thing I remember is that the first time I opened the TV (8 months ago) it asked me if i wanted to adjust the time from the teletext. I said "yes" but now the clock is out of sync and I can't find a way to fix it.
My firmware version is the latest 89.

(2) How can we program the remote to work with our DVD-players, VCR etc.? Is there a table with codes?

TIA
George

As far as I know the time is always been set with Teletext.

(2) How can we program the remote to work with our DVD-players, VCR etc.? Is there a table with codes?

The standard remote does only work with other Philips players. So if you have a Philips DVD, a Philips VCR,... it will work. Otherwhise....sorry.

As far as I know the time is always been set with Teletext.

pwain thanx for the quick answer, but I don't think this is true.
I check almost all the channels (digital & analog) with teletext, and the time I am reading has nothing to do with the time in the reletext pages. :(

Any other suggestions. Please. I really miss the clock...

Hi
to answer to your question, yes i had 1 new every month since November...all of them had its own faults but all of them had the dark lines....this one had a problem with its software upgrade software which prevents me from upgrading the tv's software still have the .47 ;(
a nightmare......
and no TV for 2 to 3 weeks as sooon as A Novo get this for service...

Amazing! also that you were able to return the set so many times ;)
About your software update problem, I was wondering if you happened to come across this posting on a German Forum, which reads (I added a piece in RED which was present in the German translation, also in the translation it says that the TV found the software automatically but I think this will speak for itself when you get there):

My TV got stuck in the 0.87.0.0 firmware but I got some tips from Philips on how you can force the TV into upgrade mode.

- Unplug the power for the set (This has to be done by uplugging the plug
and not just switching the TV off with the switch on the side)
- Press the DVD button on RC to put the RC in DVD mode and press OK
- Press and hold the "down arrow" cursor key.then re -plug the set into the
mains electricity (while you holding down the down arrow)
- The "software Upgrade Application screen" will appear
- Insert the USB stick and select the new SW via the arrow keys on the RC.
(RC must be put back in "TV" mode before you can use the cursors keys)
- As indicated on the screen press the "red" button on the RC (Upgrade now).
- the upgrade will now start.
- after the procedure has finnished then : restart the set.

They also mention that autorun.upg should not be renamed, in case you felt the urge to do so :)

S.

@DuncanC

To be precise: I have not yet received confirmed information that the LK370D3LZ43 panel has been used in new sets, only that it has been used as a replacement panel. But I also have not heard the contrary, so I think you are right, it is probably wise to ask and be certain!

S.
(PS. Excellent contrib you made there yourself!)

Some questions about the media manager.

- Has somebody been able to play DivX 6?? Will there ever been support for version 6 with a kind of firmware update?

- If DivX 6 won't play...what's the best way to convert a Divx 6 to a DivX 5? Which kind of Mac OS X application is the best for this?

- Does the media manager support subs? I've tried SRT files but it seems not to be working.

I assume like me you have the /69 model with analogue tuners. My clock had lost 20 minutes over 6 months and I asked Philips and they suggestion to try teletext, but that didn't work. This is what worked for me:

Connect to a STB using a HDMI connection. The TV will get its time from STB.

:rolleyes:
I assume like me you have the /69 model with analogue tuners. My clock had lost 20 minutes over 6 months and I asked Philips and they suggestion to try teletext, but that didn't work. This is what worked for me:

Connect to a STB using a HDMI connection. The TV will get its time from STB.

River I have the /10 model 42pf9731D/10 and it has a digital tuner.
I don't have a STB. :(

Thank you anyway!

I may unplug the TV for a while. Maybe my Philips forget the time and re-try to read it from teletext. :rolleyes:

1) Confirm with the retailer that the set is 0707 or later (which i assume means that it was manuctured in the 7th week of this year and that those manufactured after this will red 0807, 0907 etc - is this correct?)
No the code is in YYMM format. BTW It can be found on the packaging. Look at the label on the packaging and the model number is in large text eg. 37PF9731/69. Near the bottom of the label (also in large text) is a 3 letter code. Below this code are 4 numbers, on mine its 06 35 and this corresponds with the serial number which is also on the label (written above the last bar code).

Thanks river, it's good to know exactly where the retailer can find the seriel.

Now that i know it's YYMM, if they say they have one that was made this week i won't think they're trying to sell me something that was manufactured in 1918 ;)

Cheers

Amazing! also that you were able to return the set so many times ;)
About your software update problem, I was wondering if you happened to come across this posting on a German Forum, which reads (I added a piece in RED which was present in the German translation, also in the translation it says that the TV found the software automatically but I think this will speak for itself when you get there):

They also mention that autorun.upg should not be renamed, in case you felt the urge to do so :)

S.

Hi

whats SW stands for? I didnt see this anywhere....

thank you ever so much, I will try this tomorrow....

Just to understand it better...

The backlight problem should been fixed when you TV has been manufactured on/after the seventieth week of this year.

But how exactly can you verify this date? I don't have the package box anymore.

Just to understand it better...

The backlight problem should been fixed when you TV has been manufactured on/after the seventieth week of this year.
The 7th.
But how exactly can you verify this date? I don't have the package box anymore.
Your Serial number is at the back of your set.
See: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4756662&postcount=1230
It is also listed in the Customer Service Menu (CSM), probably "AG...."
See: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4768451&postcount=1241
The four digits that make up the week code are yyww, so e.g. 0713 is week 13, 2007.

S.

Great...just unmounted mine TV to look up for the serial.

It seems that mine TV was manufactured at week nr. 11 of this year. :clap:

That's probably also the reason why I don't have any problems so far :thumbsup:

with limpitakis' help we put now several firmwares together.

Note: they are noted as firmwares for 42pf9831/69 and 42pf9831d/10, so at this time it's not sure if they work on the 37PF9731D/10.
limpitakis contributed the 0.48.xx ones though, which he used on his 37PF9731D as far as i remember him saying and as he described it in the descriptions of two of them.
hd-cass also compared the headers of the 0.89 fw of the 42*/69 and the 37*/10 set in post #1209 and they seem to be identical.
this is no guarantee though and if you wanna use them it's at one's own risk.

if anybody has still has the change-logs or firmware details or remembers/noticed differences on specific firmwares, i am happy to add notes to each.

0.89:
File Name: 42pf9831_69_fus_eng_0.89.zip
Description: 42pf9831_69_fus_eng_0.89
Size:25.2 MB (26,486,489 bytes)
Date: 15/03/2007
Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/7ns45j

0.88:
File Name: 42pf9831_69_fus_eng_0.88.zip
Description: 42pf9831_69_fus_eng_0.88
Size:25.3 MB (26,558,898 bytes)
Date: 02/03/2007
Link:http://www.sendspace.com/file/01qnfj

0.87:
File Name: 42pf9831_69_fus_eng_0.87.zip
Description: 42pf9831_69_fus_eng_0.87
Size:25.3 MB (26,556,287 bytes)
Date: 20/02/2007
Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/bmsh3t

0.48.30:
File Name: 42pf9831d_10_fus_eng.zip
Description: 37pf9831 firmware December 07
Size:25.1 MB (26,343,209 bytes)
Date: 05/12/2006
Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/y03zxv

0.48.27:
Description: 37pf9831 firmware 29-9-07
Size:25.0 MB (26,246,170 bytes)
Date: 29/09/2006
Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0n6kul

0.48.20:
Description: 42pf9831 firmware 14-7-06
Size:25.0 MB (26,311,444 bytes)
Date: 14/07/2006
Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3db8ws

btw.
all the philips firmwares are on this server
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/
where you can browse to your model number
unfortunately i couldn't find a folder where they keep the old ones...
seems like the only put there the latest ones.

with limpitakis' help we put now several firmwares together.
I think it should be added that AFAIK Philips advises against downgrading your firmware. If you still insist on doing it, I think in any case you should never downgrade to a version lower than the one that came with your set or the version that was on it after a repair. If you do, chances are you end up with a blank screen and a defective set due to a firmware-panel(code) mismatch and you'll have to send it in for repair at your own expense. This is just one case where I know it can go wrong, I have no idea if there may be other cases as well.

I thought a bit of warning would be in order :)

The upgrade instructions and firmware history can be found here.

S.

About my "I cannot set the correct time" problem with my 42pf9731D/10 v.0.89, posted earlier, I have a new (weird) development.

I unplugged my TV for a while, and when I opened it directly to a digital channel with Teletext, the clock set it self fine. But my joy didn't last long because after a few seconds and without me touching anything, it reset to the previous wrong by 1h and 3-4min time. :eek:

For a few seconds shows 23:15 and after that it changes without any apparent reason to ...22:12. (I didn't change the channel etc.)

This is a total mystery to me. I checked ALL the channels digital and analog (AFAIK the clock synchronizes only with the digital ones, but I checked'em all anyway) and the the time wasn't the time of any teletext clock. :rolleyes:
(I thought if I find such a channel I will erase it and the clock will sync with another)

Any help guys? :lease:

I decided to purchase this TV in December 06, after reading all the good reviews about it (did not look at this site then) and had it delivered on 4 Jan 07. The backlight problem started to appear at the end of Feb/beginning of March 07.

I decided to e-mail philips customer support about the problem and was told that Anovo had a servicable solution for the TV. Anovo picked it up on 30 April 07 and are delivering it to me tomorrow (11 May) apparently fixed.

I am still not happy with the way Philips have let this problem just roll on and have not issued a recall notice for this TV. It is obvioulsy not an isolated incident and has affected a majority of this particular model. I have therefore written to the MD of Philips UK, Mr P Maskell (details are available on the Philips Website) explaining the problem and asking what Philips are going to do about the fact I have paid out nearly £2k for a TV and it needs repairing after only 2-3 months.

I have also explained that if I am not happy with his response then I may take the matter up with Trading Standards, as I think they have knowingly sold a product that is not fit for purpose, or I will see if BBC's Watchdog want to investigate the matter.

The 7th.

Your Serial number is at the back of your set.
See: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4756662&postcount=1230
It is also listed in the Customer Service Menu (CSM), probably "AG...."
See: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4768451&postcount=1241
The four digits that make up the week code are yyww, so e.g. 0713 is week 13, 2007.

S.

Sorry to go over old ground but just to confirm, that from the 7th week of this year that this problem has been permanently fixed now?

Thanks

Sorry to go over old ground but just to confirm, that from the 7th week of this year that this problem has been permanently fixed now?

Thanks

Your point being what stackers....

What about me and everyone who have had this tv since last year paying £2000 and over and having to have a so called top of the range lcd repaired... with all the hassle and time off work for somebody to come and collect it and then another day off for them to get it back to you..

im certainly not after an argument but you sound like philips customer care..

Your point being what stackers....

What about me and everyone who have had this tv since last year paying £2000 and over and having to have a so called top of the range lcd repaired... with all the hassle and time off work for somebody to come and collect it and then another day off for them to get it back to you..

im certainly not after an argument but you sound like philips customer care..

Think you've misunderstood me mate; i currently have the 32pf9830 model and I'm looking to upgrade to a larger LCD; with all the problems there have been (and i know how you feel as the 9830 had it's own brand of unique issues including power resets) i wanted to know if the issue had been resolved or if Philips were simply ignoring it.

Problem with Philips is that as far as the picture quality goes they are excellent but they do tend to release flawed products.

In short, no....i don't work for Philips or any other LCD manufacturer.

Think you've misunderstood me mate; i currently have the 32pf9830 model and I'm looking to upgrade to a larger LCD; with all the problems there have been (and i know how you feel as the 9830 had it's own brand of unique issues including power resets) i wanted to know if the issue had been resolved or if Philips were simply ignoring it.

Problem with Philips is that as far as the picture quality goes they are excellent but they do tend to release flawed products.

In short, no....i don't work for Philips or any other LCD manufacturer.

My apologies stackers, after just comming off the phone for what seems the millionth time to philips i totally misread your post..(red mist)...from what i can make out the new sets do not have the backlight problem, although im going to go for the 42" version and sacrifice the clear lcd..if the tv hadnt had the backlight problem then i wouldnt be changing the set and is the reason im sticking with the brand...sorry again :suicide:

My apologies stackers, after just comming off the phone for what seems the millionth time to philips i totally misread your post..(red mist)...from what i can make out the new sets do not have the backlight problem, although im going to go for the 42" version and sacrifice the clear lcd..if the tv hadnt had the backlight problem then i wouldnt be changing the set and is the reason im sticking with the brand...sorry again :suicide:

No worries, i understand where you're coming from; i was very fortunate with my 9830 but other members weren't so lucky :( the problem really for me now is that it's shrunk....OK, not physically but I'd like something bigger. I'm just wondering if the 42" version is the way to go like you say (is that 42pf9731?).

Actually after i re-read my post i could see how it could come across that i was a mole of some sort ;) anyway I'm going to be on this and the 42" forum and possibly Sony for a while so will see what happens.

Hope you get it sorted mate; like you i love the brand but at what cost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom