Status
Not open for further replies.

jdl

Novice Member
First impressions :
1. Better black levels.
2. Better colours (more vivids).
3. Better connections.
4. The overall picture is far better for the SD signals, and just better for the HD signals.

I will come back with a full review, but to answer a possible question if this new set worth the money for replacing the 9830 the answer is :

YES:thumbsup:

T

tsuppi

jdl said:
First impressions :
I will come back with a full review, but to answer a possible question if this new set worth the money for replacing the 9830 the answer is :

YES:thumbsup:
Great! We'll be waiting for a review! I haven't seen one yet...

ml76

Standard Member
JDL & Chambeaj - Where have you seen the 37Pf9731D? I would like to view one before I purchase it, but I have been unable to find a retailer with one on display.

B

biglee

Do you think the reviews and impressions for the 37 carry over to the 32?

B

biglee

I'm waiting for my set to arrive directly from Philips (to replace the 32PF9830 they damaged), just getting a little impatient now. Just hope its worth it in the end.

B

biglee

You say the shop has the 32" in stock! Did you actually see it? If so what was your first impression of the set? And what about SD pictures? Where they OK?

Bluestraw

Is the 37/32PF9731 the direct replacement for the 37/32PF9830? I notice there is a 42PF9831 and I was expecting '9831' versions of the smaller ones too...? Maybe I'm just confused! :confused:

andykn

Novice Member
Bluestraw said:
Is the 37/32PF9731 the direct replacement for the 37/32PF9830? I notice there is a 42PF9831 and I was expecting '9831' versions of the smaller ones too...? Maybe I'm just confused! :confused:
I was when I thought the model nos made sense. The 42PF9831 does not have a 1080 panel, its a 768 one. I think the 37PF9731 has a1080 panel.

M

mTm

Hello
New member.
Have been reading many of the LCD forums and viewed many LCDs at my local high streets since March 06 - the models and prices have changed very fast.
From what I have seen so far the philips 9831 and 9631 are much better by far than the rest. Not seen a 9731 as yet.

A few weeks back I was close to buying a Sony V series after reading on one of the forums that it was the best for SD. However, I bumped into (i think) the 32" version of the philips 9631 and was silmply amazed by the quality against all the rest on SD.

My question(s) if anyone can help :lease:

1. Is this currently the best model for viewing SD and at a distance 10'? Taking into account motion blurr, black levels and viewing angle?

2. Any price recommendations with warranty as I have noticed Philips have had a few issues?

3. Are the menus without delay - I hate waiting on screen updates - have a bad flicking and teawking habit?

4. The 37PF9731 - on specs indicates that is a 1920x1080 screen , but, (I am assuming) its' highest resolution from sources is just 1920x1080i !
what is the point in having this combination ? was it a philips mess up because of processing? and finally will I be paying over the odds for this silly combination and therefore should go for the older 37PF9631?

Many Thanks

Current sources
Sky Digital (only one cable to the dish :( )
DVD (will up grade to an upscaler version if it makes a difference).
xbox

The Old Camper

Standard Member
To the owners of this set and xBox360 :

It seems that ClearLCD is disabled on HD signals, however it's main feature (the scanning backlight) should still work with HD signals.

Are HD games completely blur free or not (on YUV and VGA)? It is easy to check this in a FPS game. If yes, this set would be a no-brainer for gamers like me.

Thank you for your help!

Mr.Nice.Guy

Standard Member
Guys I want to order a 37pf9731 wit dixons it is only 1700 quid

http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=408705
but it is out of stock all the time :(

everywere else it is 2000 quid, has anyone actually ordered one from dixons and also received it?
Any suggustions were to buy at a reasonable price :D ?

peahead

Mr.Nice.Guy said:
Guys I want to order a 37pf9731 wit dixons it is only 1700 quid

http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=408705
but it is out of stock all the time :(

everywere else it is 2000 quid, has anyone actually ordered one from dixons and also received it?
Any suggustions were to buy at a reasonable price :D ?

Its not released until sep 5 according to some websites maybe thats why you cant order it from dixons.

B

biglee

I suspect that Dixons are waiting for stock from Philips like the rest of the world.

Mr.Nice.Guy

Standard Member
biglee said:
I suspect that Dixons are waiting for stock from Philips like the rest of the world.
Oh ok, just back from holiday didn't know about the delayed release and I was expecting it to be in the stores by now.
Hope that it will be available next month then :mad:

edit: I've been reading Dutch websites and a couple of guys already have the LCD:

You probably can't read it but just in case :), they seem to be pretty happy with it... basterds!http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1118104/last

L

lobyz

The Old Camper said:
To the owners of this set and xBox360 :

It seems that ClearLCD is disabled on HD signals, however it's main feature (the scanning backlight) should still work with HD signals.

Are HD games completely blur free or not (on YUV and VGA)? It is easy to check this in a FPS game. If yes, this set would be a no-brainer for gamers like me.

Thank you for your help!
hello, on the 42pf9831D, because response time improvement of clear lcd process is preserved in HD (only the video traitment is inactive), I can ensure you that the image render is fluid (without remanence) and imposing with the hd games of xbox360 :thumbsup:

jollyjoe

Standard Member
chambeaj said:
Grices of Ruddington
Nottingham
http://www.grices.co.uk/

They have the 42PF9831d and the 37PF9731d on show. The 32" units arrived today (2 or 3 in stock).
This is first time I've heard of anyone seeing either a 37 or 32pf9731, let alone having one!!

Im after a 32" myself - they sound like the business - so if anyone can tell me where i can see/purchase near London, (actually in stock, not cheap price on pre-oder) i would be very grateful. Otherwise a trip to Nottingham looks necessary.

B

biglee

chambeaj said:
The new Philips produces the most lifelike/vivid colours I've seen on an LCD television. Even 'Sin City' on Sky Movies last night looked great. Blacks were great, but colours such as the red (blood) still had energy/vividness (many other LCD TVs I looked at - the colours in dark scenes look flat and lifeless). The 9731 is the closest I've seen to an LCD TV which looks more like a high resolution CRT set. The 9731 has a distinct look/feel to the picture - good blacks front head on (although not as wide a viewing angle!), very vivid/detailed colours, good contrast/picture depth.

Just hoping now that I do not finding any nasties in the coming days because based on just watching Sky+ so far this is the best LCD TV I've seen to date.

You can now set picture settings such as contrast/brightness per AV input.

Also it looks as though aspect ratio switching now works for the HDMI input (need to double check this).

Sound quality is more than adequate for a TV sound system (clean and detailed, plenty of volume).

The design/looks of the set smacks of quality.

Hopefully future models will allow for the use of ClearLCD with HD signals.
I'm so pleased that you think the set is that good. I was worried that i had signed up to recieve a duff TV. Yours is the first review of the set i have seen. Thanks a million!

M

mTm

chambeaj said:
The new Philips produces the most lifelike/vivid colours I've seen on an LCD television. Even 'Sin City' on Sky Movies last night looked great. Blacks were great, but colours such as the red (blood) still had energy/vividness (many other LCD TVs I looked at - the colours in dark scenes look flat and lifeless). The 9731 is the closest I've seen to an LCD TV which looks more like a high resolution CRT set. The 9731 has a distinct look/feel to the picture - good blacks front head on (although not as wide a viewing angle!), very vivid/detailed colours, good contrast/picture depth.

Just hoping now that I do not finding any nasties in the coming days because based on just watching Sky+ so far this is the best LCD TV I've seen to date.

You can now set picture settings such as contrast/brightness per AV input.

Also it looks as though aspect ratio switching now works for the HDMI input (need to double check this).

Sound quality is more than adequate for a TV sound system (clean and detailed, plenty of volume).

The design/looks of the set smacks of quality.

Hopefully future models will allow for the use of ClearLCD with HD signals.
chambeaj
Many thanks for the review.
Reading many of your posts you have answered all my questions.
I will be ordering my 37PF9731 in the coming week - just hope there are enough to go around!:hiya:

The Old Camper

Standard Member
lobyz said:
hello, on the 42pf9831D, because response time improvement of clear lcd process is preserved in HD (only the video traitment is inactive), I can ensure you that the image render is fluid (without remanence) and imposing with the hd games of xbox360 :thumbsup:
Thank you!

Bluestraw

Chambeaj,

Could you be so kind as to let me know what mounting holes are on the rear of the TV? Specifically how far apart are the mounting points? If there is any way you could upload a photo of the back, that would be GREAT :) !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.