1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 37PF5520D or Panasonic TH37PE50

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by firecrest, Sep 28, 2005.

1. firecrest

firecrest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all, In need of some help. Both Philips and Panasonic screens are almost same price about £1200.00, can’t make up my mind which one. considered Sharp but too expensive.

The screen will only be used as a TV (Sky +) and with a DVD player. I realise that the Philips is Hd and the Panasonic not, however as a TV I been advised the Panasonic will have a better picture now. With Hd not being a widely available for 3 to 4 years by which time I’ll possibly be looking to upgrade. I won’t being upgrading to a Sky HD box next year due to price and I not being interested in sports or Sky 1 etc. At the same time you never know how quickly the technology will develop.

I guess the question I’m asking which screen would be most people opt for if you wanted a good replacement TV for the next 3-4 years. I realise the pro’s cons of LCd v Plasma and not too worried about screen burn. Looks wise I think I prefer the Panasonic as it seems more compact without the speakers on the side.

Thanks.

2. data1

data1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Consider the Sharp LC37P50. It is around your price bracket.

Good on SD, with HDMI for some future proofing.

Far better connections than the Phillips.

3. firecrest

firecrest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am considering the sharp now. It seems to be a half way house, ie HD Compatible, not ready, is there a major difference.

Has anyone got one of these Sharp screens, can anyone comment on the picture quality.

Also in stock which is a big bonus.

4. HCK

HCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I am considering the Phillips 37" as I have seens the 32" which looks good, also the screen on the phillips is made of a tougher material , on most LCD's the screen is easy to damage. As I have kids this a tougher screen is a good thing. From what I uderstand you can do HDMI through DVI via an adaptor, you just dont get the sound (someone correct me if im wrong), so the lack of a HDMI socket is not a major problem.

Just my 2 pence worth!!