1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 37pf5520...Anybody got an opinion

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Soapysoap, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Soapysoap

Soapysoap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, after having my first choice TV cancelled 3 times by different dealers as they can't get the stock I've turned my attention to the 37pf5520. Has anyone got any opinions on this sets picture quality. The connections issue I know about and am not bothered about the sound as I have a seperate system. Local comet, Currys etc are the usual waste of time as regards to evaluating the picture. Can't see any reviews of it anywhere, any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Soapy

2. HCK

HCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I'm after this also, I have seen the 32" version which looked better than some of the LG's and Samsungs that were on display although they were on a shared analogue feed. I also like the toughned screen, which no others manufacutrers seem to have bothered with. Im not too fussed about HDMI as you can get hdmi>dvi converters...from what I understand!

Anybody else got this screen ?

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    HCC November issue reviewed this one, so might be worth picking up an issue to see what they said.

Roughly speaking, they liked it but there were some image issues. It was a good panel 'for the money' (relatively cheap 37" panel)

4. HCK

HCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    great....im in Estonia...I dont think they do that here...will be back in the UK on wednesday though.....unless some wants to give us the theme of the review!!!!????

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    the theme was that for not much more than the 32pf7520, you can have a 37" screen.

The image had some issues about over processing things, but it looked OK on HD. black reproduction not fantastic.

Also slagged it off for only having one connector for three things - the DVI socket doubles up as HDMI/HDCP + component (via adapter) + VGA (via adaptor). Not good if you have lots of things to connect.

Basic summary was that its a big screen at a budget price, but the price is reflected in the quality of the images you get back.

IMO if you want that kind of size screen, you need to spend more (not huge amounts more) and get a better screen (eg JVC37DS6, Toshiba 37WT56/58, Panasonic 37PV500 plasma). Larger screens are *more* demanding of bad/low resolution signals.

6. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 37PF5520 and it's great. Image quality is excellent if you give it a good source, as with any LCD screen. On DVD's through component input, the set looks amazing. The toughened screen is a nice touch, feels more sturdy than many.

The connectors are an issue, but I reckon that will be the case with any current LCD screen. Even if they currently have separate component, VGA and HDMI slots, this still won't be enough once we get HDTV, HD DVD, XBox 360, PS3, Revolution and a host of other things we want to connect. We're all going to have to find multiple connectors, so don't let that put you off a great set which is excellent value for money.

7. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i also have the 37pf5520 and i really rate it.

picture is excellent and with the simple splitters you can get for the dvi (theres even a switch for about 30 quid mentioned in this forum elswhere) its not really a prob at the moment. i will soon be runnin x360 and sky hd as soon as they are both out and as 360 is analogue and sky is digital a simple cable splitter is fine.

for the 1250 quid u can pay at comet online at the mo this is a real steal

hope this helps

8. HCK

HCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    dvi switch...do you where in forums this was ?

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I saw this t.v. running a Hi Def feed in Comet yesterday. I had always thought this t.v. may not be bad for the money, however, even with Hi Def the blacks were the worst I have ever seen on an LCD, more like blues than blacks. The other down side is the size of this unit, with the speakers on the side it make this panel something of a beast. To put it in perspective it is 3" wider than the 40" Samsung LCD.

10. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems with the blacks here, I think it's your eyesight that's off.

11. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If that is the case then the same applies to the three other people who were with me and made the same comment.

13. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The Philips and Lg's do apear not as black especially when blacks are viewed at an angle
    Might be down to the protective difuser on the front of the panel ?
    Beware also some of the other sets may be set at 100% contrast !!...seen this a couple of times
    That's not the real issue though, It's the ability of a panel to show detail in very dark scenes shades of Blacks and Greys...a well known LCD problem

14. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    As I say I did look at this t.v. myself as a possible. However, it doesn't even have Pixel Plus never mind PP2 which on a set this size should be a must have feature. The other problem is the sheer width of it, what a waste of space to place two stonking speakers on the sides instead of underneath.

15. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hang on Faust ! we are talking value/performance and i think it's unbeatable!

It suffers none of the problems of Noisey Fans, Buzzing backlight, ImageTearing,Noise/interference on PC input etc...etc..Like some of the others

Personally I think most of the LCD's with the Speakers below look Terrible.

If they made them all with a minimal frame and detachable speakers I think everybody would be pleased,especially if You could fit them on the Sides or Bottom....Seems very Logical to me

16. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I hear what you are saying Jakus. However, LCD pictures with an SD source are not brilliant at the best of times and they need all the help they can get. Also the larger you go the worse the effect, so if anything needs extra processing help it is something of this size - that and the side speakers are my only gripes with this panel.

17. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I don't think Sky digital pictures would look much better with any amount of processing.. ;)

I have a Fix. go to Picture in picture about 15x10 and they look great.. :)

Take it easy

18. jsloam

jsloam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought this and very pleased

BUT the screws for wall racket are 800mm x 400mm

Anyone have a clue which wall bracket I need ??????

Was told RAW Universal PF1 but this doesnt appear to be wide enough by about 10cm

19. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Could You not just get hold of 4 aluminuim angle strips and make a custom bracket ? It would be very cheap and simple to do (if You are a bit of a DIY Person)