Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

philips 37 plama !

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by ian franklin, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ian franklin

ian franklin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I owned a Philips 37 plasma for 3 days, picture very bad, especialy on SKY.

I am now very happy have a Panny Viera 37, brilliant...as we all know. (PS COMET 1999 plus table and stand !)

Any comments on the philips

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    A little bit more info on why the picture was bad would be nice :)

also so that others can be helped, what, in your opinion, is better about the Viera than the phillips?
    Cheers.
    David.

3. ian franklin

ian franklin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks,

SKY was very ghosty, and grainy, SKy told me it was not compatible, and after a phone call to phillips so did they.

Also had grain and shosting on TV and DVD.

I felt sick looking at the philips in view of what it cost, I felt I made a masive mistake.

I complained and wanted philips to view the problems but just said i can have a replacement. Best news ever as I went straight for the panny after the recent price drop at comet

What is not better on pany, I cant name a thing.

4. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,608
    Interesting !

I have a PW5 and am very happy with the PQ. My dad just got hold of a 37" Philips on the cheap (not sure of the model) and the first time I saw it I couldnt believe how bad the picture was. I replaced his dodgy old scart leads, calibrated it as best I could with DVE and to my eyes it still looks awful (switched off Pixel Plus BTW).
    At the end of the day he's still happy but I cant go around there without my fingers (and eyes) twitching !

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    From what I have read on these forums, Phillips does not score very highly with the people here.
    A lot of people would say that the pixel plus technologhy is just not up to the job on a plasma. However I have never owned a phillips so I cant really give an informed opinion. All I can say is that when I had a demo of one in currys , on fast moving objects, the picture actually split in two :eek: I decided not to buy that one. I also own a Viera, and could not be more happy :thumbsup:

6. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, which model are you talking about.

I have the 42pf9966. PQ, Colors, Contrast is amazingly good, for analog feed and HD. Analog is even better then the latest PIO. HD feeds are equally good.

Recommendations:
    - I did turn of the PP2 though.
    - Don't sit too close. 3 a 4m minimum.

Greetz

7. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    All I can say is that you can't have set it up properly. My 37" Phillips is great on Sky (even Freeview), and DVD is blisteringly good. Took me ages mind you to actually work out the best settings. It can be a sod to set up, but pays dividends big time when you get it right. I've heard Pixel Plus 2 is even better - but haven't seen a demo. I suppose it is horses for corses, but I really can't see what all the fuss about Panasonic is. Compared to Phillips, with Pixel Plus, the picture on Panny screens I've seen are lacking in detail, and have detectable screen flicker.

8. mickjones49

mickjones49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned a 37PF9946 for a week. I bought the set becasue it had all of the features I wanted, including a wall bracket at the right price and from a reputable manufacturer. Overall I'm very pleased. The picure is good however I drive it, but best when coupled with a Tosh SD330E DVD player. Freeview is fine and better than the inbuilt RF tuner. I would agree that it takes some time fiddling with the settings to get the picture right, but the colour saturation and the contrast definition is excellent. black is most definately black on my set. The weakset point is skintone but this can be adjusted out. Solarisation does happen but I have yet to see a sub £3000 plasma where it doesn't.

If you want to know where the real dogs are look at the ouitput from the handfull of Korean own branded manufacturers. For around £1500 the Phillips is value for money in my book.

Mick :) :) :) :)