Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips 37 Pf 9986 Questions

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by mackers, Feb 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. mackers

mackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Firstly great :clap: forum and lots valid information to research on.

So I think (two weeks ago I though I had decided on the Sony KE-P 37 XS 1,could still be swayed on this though) I have made my decision and I'm going for the Philips 37 PF 9968 due to PIP and picture quality, but I had a couple of questions I can't seem find an answer to.

In a perfect world and when HDTV is available on SKY,cable , and terrestrial I want do have the perfect (i.e current buzz word of the week) digital connection of HMDI which I believe carry Video and Sound in digital format. Now my first question is that if I have a HMDI - DVI-i cable how is the sounds carried as DVI-I does not carry audio, or is it as simple as you can't do it ?

I have a Yamaha AV-receiver RX-V 450 (not the best I know and if I have to change I have to change) which has connections as per :

http://www.avland.co.uk/yamaha/rxv450/rx-v450.htm

Connecting :

Philips DVD 625 (just keep until the liteon becomes a little more stable)
    PS2
    Linksys WMA 11b
    Liteon HDD+DVD recorder http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/lvw_5045/lvw_5045.htm

And I would like to get the best picture quality from TV signal, that were I hoping the HMDI - DVI-i will come in, and also progressive scan from the DVD player. So how can I integrate a HMDI input in to the 9986 (don't want DAC - ADC need to be straight digital), and if it can't be done can anyone else recommend a set with PIP, HMDI for around the 2500 mark ?

And general an all in all of the best way to connect the all the above, as I have read so many things recommending one way or another that it would be nice for some quality input from this forum.

,Mackers

2. mackers

mackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I have found this rather useful link from Philip's which confirm my HDMI to DVI-I question :

http://www.flattv.philips.com/index.cfm?event=main&cat_id=1&subcat_id=4

But I still have issues deciding the best way to connect everything, as stated in my last post so I can get the best PQ & AQ from what I have, or spend a bit providing it will make a big improvement !!!

Any suggestions on this last point more that welcome.

,Mackers

3. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case, forget about the 9986.
    The first thing it does with the digital input is convert it to analog, then switch it just like the other analog inputs, and convert it back to digital.

Of course you won't notice this in the picture. But you want straight digital, and you won't get it with the 9986.

4. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How irritating - I imagine that is the "disappointment re:DVI input" referred to when 9986 schematics were discussed recently?

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should add an obvious question here really - are there any LCD TVs that take a raw digital input and keep it digital?

6. mackers

mackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that is true and I suppose where the Pioneer system of 'pure drive' comes into its own :

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_overview.jsp?category_id=413&taxonomy_id=62-63 (click on interactive display)

As that clam (clams are always difficult to prove) it's straight digital.

So this makes me think that I'm blowing the need for digital out of proportion a little. My last (of course more replies can generate yet more questions) bones of contention are as follows :

The 9986 does support HDTV, with correct source input, and this is some what future proof, correct ?

I still a little confused with the best way to itegrated with my current system, as I currrently have all audio/video using go through my AV and then component video back to my TV (scart cable RCA with just yellow RCA being used ) now this will will still work but is it the best way to set it up ?

Should I be using my optical audio !!! I getting lost in the mine field a bit, so if anybody can suggest the best to connect the following based on Inputs/Outputs (I don't mind button presses as I have the Philip's Pronto and can macro as much as I like) I will be most happy.

Yamaha RX-V 450 http://www.avland.co.uk/yamaha/rxv450/rx-v450.htm
    PS2 - Just game playing no DVD playback being used.
    Liteon HDD+DVD recorder http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/...45/lvw_5045.htm

,Mackers

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >I currrently have all audio/video using go through my AV and then component video back to my TV (scart cable RCA with just yellow RCA being used )

This sounds more like composite video rather than component video.
    The problem with AV amps is that they normally don't do any conversion.
    They just pass through the input signal to the output so you need to connect all possible output signals (composite, s-video, component) and then you have to select the proper signal on the TV depending on what you selected on the AV amp.

For me this is the reason not to buy an AV amp (besides the fact that I do not value the audio so much, stereo is fine for me).
    I use a 5-input SCART switch as a source selector, to extend the 3 SCART inputs of the 9986 and to provide RGB video to the second TV in the bedroom.

I am still studying the switching of HDMI/Component/VGA signals.