Philips 37" 9986 ?

J

Jepsen

Does Philips 37" 9986 support progressive scan via Scart?

There are no Component input! :rolleyes:

Nope, but to get Component Prog Scan, the Philips comes with a Component to VGA and a VGA to DVI adaptor. Plug all of this together and you will get prog scan through DVI.

Richie.

and I just sorted my one out in this exact comby on the 32" and the results are simply stunning :thumbsup:

That means I dont get a better picture on an LCD Tv with my dvd player

that does not have DVI/HDMI input, then on my Crt?

Jepsen said:
That means I dont get a better picture on an LCD Tv with my dvd player

that does not have DVI/HDMI input, then on my Crt?

You probably will get a better picture, but you don't need a special dvd player with progressive output to do that. The TV already has the PixelPlus 2 system that upscales the PAL 50i signal to a progressive 1366x768 display.

You can connect an YPbPr progressive signal to the DVI-I connector but I doubt there will be a difference.
To get a really bette picture you need to wait for HD DVD or another HDTV source.

What cabling-combination is recommended/possible to connect Component to DVI on the Philips?

DVD-player - Component cable - C/VGA adapter - VGA/DVI adapter - Screen
DVD-player - C/VGA adapter - VGA cable - VGA/DVI adapter - Screen
DVD-player - C/VGA adapter - VGA/DVI adapter - DVI cable - Screen

To connect component, you can only use the first option (a component cable plus the supplied cinch/vga cable and the vga/dvi adapter).
I have connected a PC via a VGA cable and the VGA/DVI adapter and the TV assumes the signal is RGB in all cases (VGA modes, HDTV modes, etc).
The supplied adapter is cinch-female to vga-male so it cannot be connected to the player directly.

but you don't need a special dvd player with progressive output to do that. The TV already has the PixelPlus 2 system that upscales the PAL 50i signal to a progressive 1366x768 display.

You can connect an YPbPr progressive signal to the DVI-I connector but I doubt there will be a difference.

This is interesting. I'm not disagreeing with you Rob, but just to clarify..

Are you saying that by connecting a non Progressive DVD player to the RGB scart, that the TV will upscale this to a progressive display? Completely de-interlace it and display it as a 768p picture? News to me.....but marvellous if it's true. Somehow I doubt it. As far as I was aware PP2 just invents alternate line pixels to give a high resolution 'look'.

...prepared, and delighted, to be proved wrong...

Jimmy

AFAIK one of the first steps in digital processing is deinterlacing, either by the DVD player or the TV. All 100Hz TV's, plasmas and LCDs do this and that's why you often see artifacts. On plasmas and LCDs the image needs to be scaled too, introducing more artifacts. PP2 adds extra processing, to minimize these artifacts and to generally enhance the image.

Because of the way content is (or can be) stored on DVD, progressive might produce a better signal. The (digital) signal on DVD can be interlaced or progressive. Since RGB-scart does not support progressive signals, the player has to interlace progressive content. And the TV has to deinterlace it again. However, I doubt there will be much difference in PQ.

-edit- After a bit of Googling i found this:
http://www.research.philips.com/newscenter/dossier/naturalmotion/tvimages.html
It seems "Natural Motion" is just a fancy term for deinterlacing :).

- Jerry

jimsan said:
Are you saying that by connecting a non Progressive DVD player to the RGB scart, that the TV will upscale this to a progressive display? Completely de-interlace it and display it as a 768p picture?

As Jvwaard also wrote, yes. This is what makes the TV so expensive. There is a highspeed digital signal processing box that takes successive half-pictures, merges them into complete frames, and sends these to the display. This is what is required for normal over-the-air PAL content anyway.

Such processing has been required from the time that 100 Hz vertical scan was introduced to TV, and in the early days it was not implemented very well (mainly because it would have been too expensive). Digital processing has become cheaper and faster, and now it is possible to do it without the nasty artifacts seen on early 100 Hz TVs.

The TV will recognize content that has a 24/25 Hz framerate and is scanned to 50i (movie scanner) and treat it differently from real 50i content from a video camera.

Indeed Pixel Plus 2 also does upscaling to the panel resolution and sharpening of the picture in the process.

colinbarber said:
No Natural Motion is more than that. Look at the diagrams of the aeroplanes half way down the page to explain NM.
http://www.research.philips.com/newscenter/dossier/naturalmotion/judder-free.html
My goodness, that took a while to get through, especially when you have to read everything 3 times to get the idea. Wow, big respect to my wee Telly!

To go back to the bit about Interlace/De-interlace. It must be better to go Progressively directly to the TV without having to interlace for RGB then De-interlace in the TV. There is a definite improvement in motion smoothness on the Component 576p picture, probably due to the direct de-interlaced DVD to screen transfer.

Jimmy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom