1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 37" 9986 Picture Problem

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by pacman, Jan 12, 2005.

1. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a 37" 9986 with Sky (Amstrad box), a really old DVD player and an even older VHS recorder.

Most of the time the picture quality is excellent but under certain conditions when watching Sky I can see diagonal banding. This is most apparent when viewing a solid colour such as a blue sky scene (Discovery Wings) or when you get those splash screen that say ...Back Soon... or ...Don't Go Away... during programmes. I have not noticed the diagonal banding when watching DVDs.

I swapped the scart leads over and the problem was still evident. A friend believes that the diagonal banding is caused by noise being introduced by the Sky box.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or advice.

Regards,

Peter.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds to me that you are feeding the TV with poor quality signals. You need to clean things up.

Be methodical:

Disconnect everything. Connect your DVD player only. RGB enabled scart to Ext2 on the TV. Try it. I'd recommend good scarts, but mot silly expensive ones. (www.tvcables.co.uk do brilliant flat scarts for £5.99!) If the picture is clean and crisp then proceed to the VHS.

Connect the VHS to Ext3 (Composite) and try it. A good scart is less important here. If it's OK then proceed to the Sky box.

Connect Sky to Ext1. Ensure that the Sky box is outputting RGB (Service Menu). Good scart here. If the banding appears now then your pal is right and the Sky box is faulty. Borrow somebody elses box, bung in your card and see if that fixes it.

If the banding appears with all the inputs and with good scarts, then you may have a faulty TV.

Upgrade your equipment. You can get a really good Progressive Scan DVD player for peanuts now - Toshiba 240 in Tesco for £49! Or why not ditch the VHS and the DVD and get yourself a Panasonic DMR e55 DVD recorder, which is also Prog Scan. If your friends Sky box sorts it get yours replaced....Sky+?

Good Luck,

Jimmy