1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 37" 9986 colour banding?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MokerJoker, Jan 22, 2005.

1. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

Today i finally got to see the 37" Philips 9986. The Ambilight demo DVD was running and I noticed strong colour banding (solarization?) in several scenes. Especially the sunrise-scene at the beginning looked awful! I haven't checked it, but the salesman said it was connected through component and Pixelplus was active. On the DVD were a few movie scenes as well. One of them, from Platoon, showed similar banding when a flare was fired in the night sky. And it showed up in other scenes as well, not only the 'solarization killer scenes' .

I asked the salesman to show the DVD on a Pioneer 435 (connected through component). I noticed it was a DVD-copy, so that could explain some of the bad quality (especially when it is recoded). On the Pio however, there was some colourbanding, but far less than on the Philips.

Next time I'll take some of my own DVD's with me and have a closer look, and maybe fiddle with the settings if they let me. But for now, does anyone else notice (strong) colour banding on the 9986? Has it something to do with the settings? I know that LCD has a limited number colours, so colour banding is an issue. But I didn't expect it to be that bad.

Apart from this problem, I was really impressed with the Philips. It's blacklevel seemed to be similar to the Pio, though a bit blue-ish. It was definitively sharper and seemed to cope with movement a bit better. I am still in doubt though: Pio Plasma or Philips LCD. The Pio is bigger and i like the external tuner box, but it costs quite a lot more.

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not seen any colour banding on my 37PF9986 - and I have not heard it discussed as an issue with this TV before.