1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 37" 9956

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Helterskelter, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently in the process of making my final decision in buying a plasma. I have decided it is going to have to be 37" as this is a good compromise with the room and wife.
    I have a short list of a Philips 37" 9965 (pixel plus), Panasonic 37" pa20b or an outsider is the Hitachi 42" 3000 (it is an outsider because it is 42" but the speakers detach making the overall footprint not so big, it's also the cheapest).
    I have viewed all these side by side in depth and it is so hard to choose. They all have their good and bad points. This is how I rated them.
    1. Panasonic: You immediately notice the blacks are blacker than the other two and it has a nice cinematic quality, but the definition is not as good and sometimes detail is lost in the black.

2. Philips: There is a 3D quality to this screen, everything looks so deep and the resolution is sinterlating, but on certain scenes the flesh tones can look a tad yellow.

3.Hitachi: I really wanted to like this the best for the reasons I have already mentioned and I do think the images are very sharp and crisp, more so than the Panasonic but, I found the overall feel of the picture was a bit flat, it didn't jump out at you like the Philips and also it had the greyest blacks of the three.

So at the moment i'm siding towards the Philips but would appricate any feedback, especially if you own the Philips. I am aware that this site does favor the Panasonic screens, but the Philips 9965 is quite new out and this incarnation of pixel plus has meant to have pushed to plasma boundaries, as did the Panasonic with it's 4000:1 contrast ratios.

2. continuity

continuity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might take a look at the new Hitach models 32PD5000 and 42PD5000. I saw them and they have very good picture (compared to the new Fuji 42HHS panel) with very good black level performance.

Once I also wanted to buy the 42" Philips Pixel Plus because I also found the picture to be very crisp and 3D like. The problem with the Philips is, its not future proof because it doesn't accept Progressive Input (E-Box) and provides no DVI input. Both features are offered by the new Hitachis.