Philips 37/42/47 PFL9632/9732 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algoz

Novice Member
Yes to both.
But also defeats the purpose of both.
As I understand it the average person would struggle to determine the picture quality difference between 1080i and 1080p - is this not true?

Algoz

Novice Member
One other thing I meant to ask:
Once I have the PS3 I would have to connect it to my TV using an HDMI switcher (as I never got the 3xHDMI problem sorted out). What input on the TV should the PS3 be set to (for games and for Blu-Ray).

ocyrus

on moving images yes you will on 1080i the processor interlace two images of the same frame and only half the fame at that, with 1080p it's one image the hole frame no side effects..h

Fozzyhair

Standard Member
Does the PS3 have the option to output in 1080i instead of 1080p? If so, does this not solve the problem? :confused:
Yes but you paid for a 1080p TV

One other thing I meant to ask:
Once I have the PS3 I would have to connect it to my TV using an HDMI switcher (as I never got the 3xHDMI problem sorted out). What input on the TV should the PS3 be set to (for games and for Blu-Ray).
Again you Paid to use this option but it doesnt work correctly, hopefully people will start to see what most of us are trying to say about phillips methods of shortchanging people and worst of all, they know.

Fozzyhair

Standard Member
has anyone been in contact with watcdog and is worth sending them an email..
Yes it is worth it. I've been contacted several times by watchdog for other things like this. Sorry I didnt see this before. I'm going to email them. aswell.

Algoz

Novice Member
Yes but you paid for a 1080p TV

Again you Paid to use this option but it doesnt work correctly, hopefully people will start to see what most of us are trying to say about phillips methods of shortchanging people and worst of all, they know.
Yes, but I've gotten over beating myself to death for this TV's shortcomings. I'm extremely pleased with its performance on HD television, regular DVd, HD-DVD, and Xbox 360. I have not been able to detect any difference between 1080i and 1080p (in visual terms). I'm therefore not averse to using 1080i, even though I know I SHOULD be able to use 1080p. Principle is not that important to me, 12 months after I bought this TV. I chose not to send it back for the 3 x HDMI issue. In all respects I'm happy with the TV. Thanks for your input though - you make some valid points, but they're not enough to get me hot under the collar... :smashin:

ocyrus

yes thats all well and good what your saying..i really for the life of me can't understand what your saying can't see dif from 1080i to 1080p when your asking what will the pic be like at these settings..for blu ray and ps3 if you say your thinking of getting them the lag is really bad..i am not being rude to you but if there was not dif between the two they would have not made 1080p..as for me with this set of 8weeks old to replace a tv thats only 9months old cos it was not 1080p i am not happy with this set even on sky hd and philips b.s about it all again not being rude to you..

ocyrus

can anyone tell me what the jumping flickering of lines when i change channels on sky hd and on sky in general just looked at the firmware as some guys have said update but it has the lastest firmware..

markjewiss

Well just as an update for others in my position dealing with Phillips...

My case with them was first raised in May/June, and it's been escalated with head office pending a decision for about 6 weeks now. I've asked for either a replacement/upgrade, or for a letter confirming that there is a fault that cannot be fixed so I can get my money back from the retailer (oh, the set was purchased in about Feb this year).

Customer services were helpful as usual this week on the phone, but can't actually give me any information - if they are to be believed, all they can see is that the case is with head office. They can't even contact them, other than through 'the system'. I believe this, as I'm pretty sure the call centre is an outsourced organisation...

Anyways, got on the phone to head office, and the receptionists put me through to the MDs PA... she did her job, and I'm waiting on a call back. At least I have someone in a decent position to chase now!

More updates as I get them...

MJ.

JohnnyMcD

Novice Member
The Sony 200Hz KDL46Z4500 may now surpass the aging Philips 47PFL9632; but the Sony doesn't have ambilight.[/QUOTE]

Surely my pfl9732 model is not ageing already...I only got it last year...:)

wismax

Standard Member
Hello to everybody,

This is my first post here and I just want to thank everyone here who gave some feedback on their way to find a solution with Philips about these faulty sets because I got mine replaced too, so thanks to your inputs.

I purchased a model 42PFL9632D on October 2007. My first use was watching SD with the integrated DVB-T tuner. I was very happy with it. Next I hooked up a HTPC and started to see this bad interlacing at 1080p. I tried changing the graphic card, upgrading the firmware, changing the drivers, well as you know, nothing worked. Finally I decided to use it with a 720p resolution but I wasn't happy. One night I checked with my friend Google if someone else faced the same problem and I started to read this very interesting thread...

In the end, 2 days before the one year warranty deadline, I decided to start what should be a long fight with Philips. I'm living in Switzerland so I wrote a really big letter to the local representation. I told them everything, the fact that I was very happy with its SD capabilities, the problem with the 1080p, the internal image processor PNX5050 specs with its 1080i limitation, some printouts of posts of this thread, a link to ralphfx's videos, manual technical specs copy, product sheet. I ended up with a summary saying that the set has no defect, but it is simply not doing what it should do.

After two weeks I got a confirmation email from Philips. They were just saying that they forwarded my letter to their Swiss service warranty provider (I don't know for the other countries but here, in Switzerland, Philips delegates all the after sales stuff to another service company). Two weeks after I got a phone call from someone of the "warranty service company", he just told me that Philips said him to replace my set with a 9603d, I just had to wait a week or two because they needed to order.

Two days ago I got my new set, no more interlacing working perfectly.

In summary it took me only a big letter to Philips Switzerland to get my set exchanged with a 9603d. I think that they did a big mistake advertising the 9632d as a 1080p, that's it. But they handled my case quickly and the right way and I thank them for that. And finally I have a new set with a new one year warranty, that's nice.

I hope that those of you who tried to get a replacement will have a lot of success like me. Once again thanks to everybody for your inputs !

Wis

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom