Philips 37/42/47 PFL9632/9732 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this is a thread for 9632 series and 9732 which have released!!!!The 47PFL9732 has taken the EISA AWARD for the best 1080p lcd tv for 2007-2008.

9632 SERIES

9732 SERIES

SPECS

1080P wide screen lcd tv
1920x1080 resolution
1.200:1 on screen contrast
8.000:1 dynamic contrast
14bit panel
100Hz CLEAR LCD
Perfect Pixel HD
24p compatibility
Light sensor
Ambilight(surround ambilight on 9732 only)
USB PORT
MEMORY STICK/MMC
MP3 PLAYBACK
3XHDMI 1.3 INPUTS

Full specs on the link
http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...?proxybuster=VWB0CBOLKOFK3J0RMRESHQVHKFSEKI5P

Available on 37",42",47"

The difference between 9632 and 9732 is the ambilight(the 9632 has 2 stage ambilight,while 9732 has ambilight surround)

You can UPDATE THE FIRMWARE from here
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...L9732D/10&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

WHAT TO DO TO REDUCE THE LAG ISSUE BY SIGNLANGUAGE

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6105639&postcount=1073

HOW TO ACCESS THE SERVICE MENU BY RAZOOLA
I discovered from that dutch thread how to get into the service menues. Power on the LCD and on the controller do the following key sequence;

0, 6, 2, 5, 9, 6, i+

If done correctly you will be presented with a warning message. Press the Red button to continue.

First thing to point out here is an option to change region (options,misc,region). Someone may want to see if this setting changes HDCP problems with 5.1 audio out. Remember you need to store changes (option in first service menu, move right and press ok).

I also noticed the ability to see the board identifer (options,misc,board identifer), picture processing chip (options, video repto, picture processing) and screen type (options, display, screen).

I have the following (this info does not match the SSB board bulsing mentioned unless its some sort of hybrid);

TV520/82
PNX5050
LCD LPL WU5 SLB1 DF 42"

I have not had a chance to play around yet but hopefully there is something in here that will reduce the lag. I did notice an mpeg4 option thats off by default, you never know turning that one on could allow playing media from the USB stick it we are lucky.
WARNING !!!

Do NOT set the MPEG4 option to ENABLE in the Serivemenu.
When you enable this you won't get your set on again.

This option is used for the 9742 model. This model has a seperate MPEG4 board on-board for DVB-C and is for France. They have some kind of MPEG4 DVB-C.

Please be warned

Code:

Known problems/faults with the 9632/9732/9900 range with .015 firmware upgrade
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Picture Lag is present of about 120-150ms (game input and lipsync).

- There is no way to shorten this dealy even by removing all
picture enhancing features.
- Less than expected gaming experiance.
- If you follow Philips guide lines for removing lipsink
(feeding audio in and out of the LCD) you'll loose DTS/5.1
due to HDCP protection rules (downgraded) unless you
use HDMI 3 (see point 5a).

2a) DNM (digitial natural motion) and Perfect Pixel HD do not work if you
have the LCD's source input set to 'PC'.

- Even though the options are available in the menues (not greyed out)
the enhancement is missing in the displayed picture.
- Removing 'PC' input results in poor 1080p quality for PC connections
(picture flicker on mouse pointer movements) but DNM will work.

2b) Playstation 3 GUI glitching, noticeable in PS3 store when in 1080p.

- A solution is to set the input as 'PC', however doing this disables
DNM which is not acceptable when waching Bluray (see point 2a).

2c) Interlacing can be seen in moving objects at 1080p.

- It seems the LCD converts 1080p signals back to 1080i and then
incorrectly back to 1080p.
- It is suggest that this is the reason for point 2b.

3) Even though the LCD is suppost to be 14bit color processing it seems
to suffer from bad color banding.

- Displying a Color gradient chart shows the problem perfectly.

4a) Sources using EXT1 / EXT2 (RGB) suffer poor picture quality (blured).

- Greens edges appears on screen (esp between grey graidents).

4b) Sources using EXT1 / EXT2 (RGB) suffer Sudden drops in contrast.

- Contrast drops happen frequently when using a Wii console.

5a) HDMI 1 and 2 cannot pass DTS/5.1 audio to the LCD's digital output,
instead it is downsampled to stereo.

- HDMI 3 seems to allow this (apart from on HDCP protected content)
but it can be tricky to get working and its possible it does not
work on all SSB types.

5b) If you have three HDMI sockets plugged in at the same time some can
stop working. You have to unplug one for the others to work again.

- This is solved by an upgraded SSB board inside the LCD, it can be
determined if you have the new SSB by your serial number, if it has
an 'A' its the old board, a 'E' is the new board.

6) Problems with the EPG if a card is present in the common port with no
active subscriptions in progress.

- The EGP can lock up (but you can still exit).
- Exiting the EPG can cause an unsupported format message for a few seconds.
- Problem can be solved by removing the CI adapter.

7) A high pitched whine can be heard when the screen is in standby.

- Some screens suffer this problem more than others.
- It is said the PSU causes this problem.
- This is not fixable via a firmware upgrade.
- Only solution is to unplug the LCD totally.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

According the the specs the new SSB does not support 14 bit picture
processing although philips clearly advertise this screen does.

- Old board model number is PNX8537.
- New board model number is PNX8541.
- http://www.nxp.com/#/aip/aip=[aip=200435]|pp=[v=d,t=aip,i=200435,fi=,ps=0]|[0][0]

The Eco-SSB lacks two “not commercial exploited” functions, being the YC-input
on the SCART connector and the SPDIFinput connector. They are further fully
compatible with the actual used ones.

Some delta's with respect to the “Eco” SSB compared with the “normal” SSB are:

- No LED's for “board is started” and “image on LVDS output”.
- Changeover from PNX8537 to PNX8541 for better picture quality.

Sky HD Remote Code: 0584

instructions from here:

http://www.sjstv.co.uk/skycodes.html

REVIEW
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Philips-37PFL9632D

Mine will be the 47PF9732.
Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Btw you forgot to add HDNM for them , processing HD & 24p.

Are we talking about real 14bit or it's made by dithering?

I don't know,but that must be a philips trick(as the response time).The latest is the 10bit

If anyone sees good prices on the 37" 9632, let me know! I think £1190 and then adding discounts from QED with 5% newsletter sign up discount and 4% Quidco is the best so far.

Yep its the best price you can find!!!

Oh and one report of HDMI and Sky+ having problems, with Sky+ turning itself off. Solution being to move to component.

But if you have a 360 maybe thats not such a good solution?

Oh and one report of HDMI and Sky+ having problems, with Sky+ turning itself off. Solution being to move to component.

Sky+ , that's odd , how would HDMI affect Sky+ features?
Or do you mean a handshake issue with this display and skyHD?

Although i appreciate the thread starting for the new philips sets CHRISGEO,
(my Philips 37PF9732D is supposed to arrive sometime next week), wouldnt seperate threads for different sets be more appropriate, the're two different models and no doubt both will come with their own faults,issues, settings etc.

Im not trying to nit pick but just one instance is the major backlight issue which plagued the 37pf9731D, that was only a problem with the 37" and didnt effect the 32" or 42".
Everyone was kept up to speed with the dedicated 37" thread and had no need to trawl through a 32,37,42 thread...just a thought.

Thats exactly what I said in the first place, only perhaps a little less tactfully. :rolleyes:

You want one start one. Simple.

I wont start a thread about a tv i dont yet have..still when i get the set i may just do that..simple eh King Louis:smashin:

This thread made by me about the 37" THE 42" AND THE 47" versions.The 32" version has different thread because its a different model(not same specs).So I dont think that its good to have 3 threads about 37PFL9632,42PFL9632,47PFL9732.Just a thought

The thing is that although they have similar specs, being different sizes they will use different panels and as boltonbrowny says may suffer from different problems. So in that respect what he is saying makes a great deal of sense.

And as I'm sure you'll agree if he wants to start a thread dedicated to the telly he is buying/owns, he is more than entitled. Isn't he?

Yep OK no problem if he wants he can do that!!I have not the authority to tp tell him what to do!!

Glad we agree [-]for once[/-]. ;)

Although i appreciate the thread starting for the new philips sets CHRISGEO,
(my Philips 37PF9732D is supposed to arrive sometime next week), wouldnt seperate threads for different sets be more appropriate, the're two different models and no doubt both will come with their own faults,issues, settings etc.

Im not trying to nit pick but just one instance is the major backlight issue which plagued the 37pf9731D, that was only a problem with the 37" and didnt effect the 32" or 42".
Everyone was kept up to speed with the dedicated 37" thread and had no need to trawl through a 32,37,42 thread...just a thought.

Your TV shown up yet at all?

Your TV shown up yet at all?

No sign yet widge, was on the phone yesterday to him getting the price of the aurea, he said he was expecting the set this week and would bell me as soon as he'd heard anything...heard a couple of stories about the new philips sets and a problem connecting to skyhd via hdmi..wonder if there trying to solve the problem before shipping.

anybody know if this set can display 24fps without motion problems ?

ive been reading the Toshiba X series thread, and it seems the specs states it plays back 24p material, but with judder

looking at the philips website, this TV can playback 24fps material with 2:2 pulldown. But ive no idea if this method is supposed to be any good or not, any thoughts ?

Hi Folks,

I had a 37PFL9632 delivered yesterday - still in the process of setting it up properly, and it is my first LCD TV, so I can't say anything particularly useful yet but I'm very impressed with it so far: no dead pixels, no buzzing, extremely easy to set up (although the picture settings wizard results in an image which I think has too high a contrast, and is too vivid for my liking.)

No sign of any motion blur, even with 100 Hz switched on, during the first match of the RWC.

I can't comment on the audio output as I shunt everything through an AV receiver.

For anyone who has one of these, a software update is available and the instruction manual doesn't mention that you have to unzip the downloaded file before updating.. (obvious, I know..)

If anyone has any tips on the best calibration settings for this set (or family of sets) then they'd be much appreciated - are utilities such as the THX optimizer supplied on DVDs not especially suitable for sets which muck around with the contrast etc. dynamically?

Hi Folks,

I had a 37PFL9632 delivered yesterday - still in the process of setting it up properly, and it is my first LCD TV

Congratulations to first owner!

I noticed philips has put out also open source version of software(for mod geeks :) ) : http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...les/3/37pfl9732d_10/37pfl9732d_10_osr_eng.txt

What test equipment do you have? (ps3,xbox,bluray,hd-dvd, dvd-player...)

Take factory setting (vivid ,dynamic or something) away and put into normal or cinema or something close to normal settings(skin tone is good reference)
I would try to adjust contrast and brightness first. Dynamic contrast might give you better contrast ratio. DVE is good help but i prefer to use normal freeview for adjusting colors.(look for grass ,sky etc. things you know)

Are we talking about real 14bit or it's made by dithering?

I don't know,but that must be a philips trick(as the response time).The latest is the 10bit

The spec sheet is talking about the colour processing, not the panel. By going to 14bit for the colour processing they reduce the significance of the rounding errors during calculations

Im now torn between the 52PFL9632 or the 47PFL9732.
Both have exact same specs apart from size , mem card/usb(missing on the 9632), Higher contrast ratios/Dynamic contrast(9632) & Ambilight.
Size was one of the reasons for switching for me.
I want this one to keep me happy for more than a year and a half :D
Anyone got any suggestions?

The Philips 52PFL9632D 52" ambilight 2ch is 1366*768p £2350 at cheapelectricals.

I was surprised at the res. since I thought it would be 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom