Philips 37/42/47 PFL9632/9732 Thread *Part 2*

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is a continuation of the now closed thread, linked to, here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/613872-philips-37-42-47-pfl9632-9732-thread.html

From the Original Thread, credits to CHRISGEO :

So this is a thread for 9632 series and 9732 which have released!!!!The 47PFL9732 has taken the EISA AWARD for the best 1080p lcd tv for 2007-2008.

9632 SERIES

9732 SERIES

SPECS

1080P wide screen lcd tv
1920x1080 resolution
1.200:1 on screen contrast
8.000:1 dynamic contrast
14bit panel
100Hz CLEAR LCD
Perfect Pixel HD
24p compatibility
Light sensor
Ambilight(surround ambilight on 9732 only)
USB PORT
MEMORY STICK/MMC
MP3 PLAYBACK
3XHDMI 1.3 INPUTS

Full specs on the link
http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...?proxybuster=VWB0CBOLKOFK3J0RMRESHQVHKFSEKI5P

Available on 37",42",47"

The difference between 9632 and 9732 is the ambilight(the 9632 has 2 stage ambilight,while 9732 has ambilight surround)

You can UPDATE THE FIRMWARE from here
Philips Support - 42PFL9732D/10

WHAT TO DO TO REDUCE THE LAG ISSUE BY SIGNLANGUAGE

AVForums.com - View Single Post - Philips 37/42/47 PFL9632/9732 Thread

HOW TO ACCESS THE SERVICE MENU BY RAZOOLA
I discovered from that dutch thread how to get into the service menues. Power on the LCD and on the controller do the following key sequence;

0, 6, 2, 5, 9, 6, i+

If done correctly you will be presented with a warning message. Press the Red button to continue.

First thing to point out here is an option to change region (options,misc,region). Someone may want to see if this setting changes HDCP problems with 5.1 audio out. Remember you need to store changes (option in first service menu, move right and press ok).

I also noticed the ability to see the board identifer (options,misc,board identifer), picture processing chip (options, video repto, picture processing) and screen type (options, display, screen).

I have the following (this info does not match the SSB board bulsing mentioned unless its some sort of hybrid);

TV520/82
PNX5050
LCD LPL WU5 SLB1 DF 42"

I have not had a chance to play around yet but hopefully there is something in here that will reduce the lag. I did notice an mpeg4 option thats off by default, you never know turning that one on could allow playing media from the USB stick it we are lucky.
WARNING !!!

Do NOT set the MPEG4 option to ENABLE in the Serivemenu.
When you enable this you won't get your set on again.

This option is used for the 9742 model. This model has a seperate MPEG4 board on-board for DVB-C and is for France. They have some kind of MPEG4 DVB-C.

Please be warned

Code:

Known problems/faults with the 9632/9732/9900 range with .015 firmware upgrade
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Picture Lag is present of about 120-150ms (game input and lipsync).

- There is no way to shorten this dealy even by removing all
picture enhancing features.
- Less than expected gaming experiance.
- If you follow Philips guide lines for removing lipsink
(feeding audio in and out of the LCD) you'll loose DTS/5.1
due to HDCP protection rules (downgraded) unless you
use HDMI 3 (see point 5a).

2a) DNM (digitial natural motion) and Perfect Pixel HD do not work if you
have the LCD's source input set to 'PC'.

- Even though the options are available in the menues (not greyed out)
the enhancement is missing in the displayed picture.
- Removing 'PC' input results in poor 1080p quality for PC connections
(picture flicker on mouse pointer movements) but DNM will work.

2b) Playstation 3 GUI glitching, noticeable in PS3 store when in 1080p.

- A solution is to set the input as 'PC', however doing this disables
DNM which is not acceptable when waching Bluray (see point 2a).

2c) Interlacing can be seen in moving objects at 1080p.

- It seems the LCD converts 1080p signals back to 1080i and then
incorrectly back to 1080p.
- It is suggest that this is the reason for point 2b.

3) Even though the LCD is suppost to be 14bit color processing it seems
to suffer from bad color banding.

- Displying a Color gradient chart shows the problem perfectly.

4a) Sources using EXT1 / EXT2 (RGB) suffer poor picture quality (blured).

- Greens edges appears on screen (esp between grey graidents).

4b) Sources using EXT1 / EXT2 (RGB) suffer Sudden drops in contrast.

- Contrast drops happen frequently when using a Wii console.

5a) HDMI 1 and 2 cannot pass DTS/5.1 audio to the LCD's digital output,
instead it is downsampled to stereo.

- HDMI 3 seems to allow this (apart from on HDCP protected content)
but it can be tricky to get working and its possible it does not
work on all SSB types.

5b) If you have three HDMI sockets plugged in at the same time some can
stop working. You have to unplug one for the others to work again.

- This is solved by an upgraded SSB board inside the LCD, it can be
determined if you have the new SSB by your serial number, if it has
an 'A' its the old board, a 'E' is the new board.

6) Problems with the EPG if a card is present in the common port with no
active subscriptions in progress.

- The EGP can lock up (but you can still exit).
- Exiting the EPG can cause an unsupported format message for a few seconds.
- Problem can be solved by removing the CI adapter.

7) A high pitched whine can be heard when the screen is in standby.

- Some screens suffer this problem more than others.
- It is said the PSU causes this problem.
- This is not fixable via a firmware upgrade.
- Only solution is to unplug the LCD totally.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

According the the specs the new SSB does not support 14 bit picture
processing although philips clearly advertise this screen does.

- Old board model number is PNX8537.
- New board model number is PNX8541.
- NXP Semiconductors[aip=200435]|pp=[v=d,t=aip,i=200435,fi=,ps=0]|[0][0]

The Eco-SSB lacks two “not commercial exploited” functions, being the YC-input
on the SCART connector and the SPDIFinput connector. They are further fully
compatible with the actual used ones.

Some delta’s with respect to the “Eco” SSB compared with the “normal” SSB are:

- No LED’s for “board is started” and “image on LVDS output”.
- Changeover from PNX8537 to PNX8541 for better picture quality.

Sky HD Remote Code: 0584

instructions from here:

Redirect

REVIEW
Philips 37PFL9632D Review: 37" Cineos 100Hz 1080p LCD TV

Congratulations Wismax. I wish Philips UK were as responsive and understanding of their blatant false advertising.

Cheers for notifying us of the firmware update b0le. I've just installed it. I'm sure it does nothing particularly interesting.

Regarding the "3 Simultaneous HDMI" connection problem: I made sure that I'd receive the new, revised SSB board in my television before buying it. However, I bought a PS3 a few days ago (my third HDMI enabled device) and now notice that I have to unplug a HDMI lead to get HDMI 3 to work. So, the problem isn't fixed? I'm confused. Did they ever fix this? I didn't need another reason to feel cheated by this set.

On another note, you've gotta love the colour banding and flickering on the PS3's dashboard, eh? Lovely. :thumbsdow

Has anybody bought Rock Band 2 and imported the new RB2 guitar? It has an auto calibration facility built into it. Care to share the results for the video lag? I hate calibrating these games so much.

Thanks.

I got hold of a PS3 last week but have struggled to get it to work with my
47" 9632 since. Ive had the PS3 dash on twice (managed to update the PS3 to latest version) but get 'Unsupported Video Format' almost every time I switch on the PS3. The PS3 has been setup for 1080p, 720p and the default resolution (2 beeps on start up) but still nothing.

Ive tried different HDMI ports, unplugged my one other HDMI device, changed the connection type.....basically tried pretty much everything with no Joy!

Im quite sure the PS3 is operating correctly as I can switch it off using the controller and the power and HDD lights seem to be doing what they should.

I am am running firmware .18 and have noticed that .20 is now available but with no release notes!

Has anyone else had this problem or do you know of it and if so, anyone got a fix?

:lease:

47" 9632 since. Ive had the PS3 dash on twice (managed to update the PS3 to latest version) but get 'Unsupported Video Format' almost every time I switch on the PS3. The PS3 has been setup for 1080p, 720p and the default resolution (2 beeps on start up) but still nothing.

Ive tried different HDMI ports, unplugged my one other HDMI device, changed the connection type.....basically tried pretty much everything with no Joy!

Im quite sure the PS3 is operating correctly as I can switch it off using the controller and the power and HDD lights seem to be doing what they should.

I am am running firmware .18 and have noticed that .20 is now available but with no release notes!

Has anyone else had this problem or do you know of it and if so, anyone got a fix?

Sorry buddy. I bought an 80GB PS3 for my 37"9732 last week and have had no such issues. Only once have I seen the "Unsupported Video Format" message and that was when quitting from a 50Hz PAL video to presumably a 60Hz dashboard. I just pressed X again to relaunch the video, closed it almost instantly and the dashboard returned. Fickle.

My HDMI settings were automatically detected by the PS3 and all the supported resolutions checked. If you actually need me to note down any of the settings just give me a bell.

Have you tested to see whether the results are the same when you have another HDMI device turned on? The ports definitely affect each other. The TV will never display my PC unless I change the output resolution (via hotkeys). If I have another HDMI device turned on and switch to the PC's input channel it will often display just fine.

I suppose for now you can use the crappy composite cable that came with the unit. It won't help you troubleshoot the HDMI port but at least you can play some games and see if the console is borked in any way.

Latest PS3 firmware. Tested on .18 TV software.

as the top article has write,I meet the same problem

My TV set is 52PFL9432 & 47PFL9632.

My HTPC(AMD 780G) is connected to TV set with HDMI cable.

When I select "PC" mode, Interlacing can be seen in moving objects at 1080p.

Removing 'PC' input results in poor 1080p quality for PC connections (HDMI picture flicker on mouse pointer movements) .

So ,Is there anyother solution to solve that problem ?

Or I have to bear the “flicker” with non-pc mode or “interlacing” with pc mode ?

as the top article has write,I meet the same problem

My TV set is 52PFL9432 & 47PFL9632.

My HTPC(AMD 780G) is connected to TV set with HDMI cable.

When I select "PC" mode, Interlacing can be seen in moving objects at 1080p.

Removing 'PC' input results in poor 1080p quality for PC connections (HDMI picture flicker on mouse pointer movements) .

So ,Is there anyother solution to solve that problem ?

Or I have to bear the “flicker” with non-pc mode or “interlacing” with pc mode ?

In regards to the 9632: No solution. Hardware limitations - cannot be fixed. Try complaining to Philips although many of us here in the UK have had less than satisfactory results thus far.

Hi nico1,

Try unticking 1080p in the ps3 settings.I have the same tv and cant use 1080p.

Regards
Colin.

Has anyone applied the latest firmware update, and if so, what does it address?

installed .20 and now I cannot connect my pc to the tv. May be coincidence but would be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else. pc connects to tv through hdmi lead.

Ta

installed .20 and now I cannot connect my pc to the tv. May be coincidence but would be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else. pc connects to tv through hdmi lead.

Ta

Mine still works although as I noted in a post above I've always had to rely on hotkey resolution changes to get the picture back after leaving leaving and returning to the input. This is with DVI-HDMI.

What message are you getting? No signal or unsupported video?

If you want to setup hotkeys but can't see your image, try restarting the PC while leaving the TV on the correct input. That would return the image to mine since it's that whole changing resolution business again. On windows XP, if you can't see your image, just press the windows key, up, enter, right x2 and enter. That'll restart.

Mine still works although as I noted in a post above I've always had to rely on hotkey resolution changes to get the picture back after leaving leaving and returning to the input. This is with DVI-HDMI.

What message are you getting? No signal or unsupported video?

If you want to setup hotkeys but can't see your image, try restarting the PC while leaving the TV on the correct input. That would return the image to mine since it's that whole changing resolution business again. On windows XP, if you can't see your image, just press the windows key, up, enter, right x2 and enter. That'll restart.

Thanks Klopek.

I managed to get this working again, by spending about an hour chopping and changes cables and ports and then as per usual it just decided to work. Unsure if this problem was due to upgrade or some other factor but I did notice the problem after the upgrade.

just got another email from philips saying no tv for me get back to my retailer and ask them for one..and their still saying the 9632 is still full 1080p lol i like a good joke at xmas..:thumbsup:

According the the specs the new SSB does not support 14 bit picture processing although philips clearly advertise this screen does.

- Old board model number is PNX8537.
- New board model number is PNX8541
- NXP Semiconductors[aip=200435]|pp=[v=d,t=aip,i=200435,fi=,ps=0]|[0][0]

I emailed Philips to ask why they never include release/fix notices for their firmware upgrades. This is the reply I received this morning:

"Dear Mr. Dickinson,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

With regards to your query we can advise that for some models you can find the release notes which detail the fixes the firmware upgrade does, however the release notes are not available for the firmware upgrade of your 47PFL9632D/10 model.

Unfortunately if the details of the firmware upgrade fixes are not available within the release notes we will not be able to provide them.

We trust that the information provided will be of assistance.

Should you require any further information please contact our Customer Care Centre (details below) quoting customer reference number 50-275253196.

Kind regards,

Philips Customer Care."

This is worse than any answer a politician could provide. An insult to human intelligence. This company is unbelievable, and how they remain in business is beyond me. :thumbsdow :suicide:

I'm so gob-smacked at this response, I forgot to include my reply to Philips!

Here it is:

"Thank you for taking the time to respond. However, I consider your response an insult. To tell me that you can't provide the release notes because they are not available is clearly a ridiculous statement. WHY aren't they available. WHY don't you include them?

For a company your size, this kind of response is appalling.
Be assured this will be discussed at length on avforums.com"

Hi nico1,

Try unticking 1080p in the ps3 settings.I have the same tv and cant use 1080p.

Regards
Colin.

Cheers Colin.

I basically allowed the PS3 to detect the settings, I understand that maybe setting to a lower res may solve it but I want it to work how it should.

Im struggling to get anything on the TV even when starting the PS3 in its default VGA setting (2 beeps).

Sent email to Philips about this and got back...

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We hope that you will accept our apologies for the difficulties you appear to be experiencing with your model 42PFL9632D/10.

I'm sure you will understand that without a physical examination we are unable to comment on the possible cause of the problems you are experiencing.

In order to minimise inconvenience to you during the guarantee period, Philips have made special arrangements for free of charge service to be made available to you on a local basis via your retailer.

As it would appear that your equipment is within the one-year guarantee period, we would ask that you contact the retailer from whom you purchased, who can make all the necessary arrangements for your equipment to be inspected with minimal inconvenience to you.

We trust that upon contacting the above, this matter will be resolved to your complete satisfaction.

Kind regards,

Philips Customer Care

Will be popping into Comet tomorrow and arranging for an engineer.....I think a new TV may be on the cards!

it's sad really even microsoft will tell you what their updates are for..philips Customer Care they don't, sense and simplicity it's not..:thumbsdow

Thanks Klopek.

I managed to get this working again, by spending about an hour chopping and changes cables and ports and then as per usual it just decided to work. Unsure if this problem was due to upgrade or some other factor but I did notice the problem after the upgrade.

Sounds like the same problem I am having with the PS3!

I left the PS3 on the other night fo about 4 hours by accident with the 'Unsupported Video Format' message being displayed and no picture. Went to switch it all off before going to bed and the PS3 dash was displayed!!:suicide:

I have 42PFL9632. I have successfully installed a few firmware upgrades up to and including .018. I have not been able to install .019 or .020.

My USB flash drive (one I got from Philips) has update.htm (created by the TV) and autorun.upg on it. I also copied the 42pfl9632d_10_fus_eng.zip there too.
I turn on TV (at power switch) and then put USB flash drive in, TV turns off and restarts and then reports that no software is found on media.

Anyone been able to upgrade from .018? (I know a few have .020 now but the previous ver is not specified). What am I doing wrong?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom