Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips 36PW9618C

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by tij303, Dec 25, 2003.

1. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know it is xmas, but having read as many reviews/opinions as I can (and having seen it in the flesh) I am on the verge of ordering the new philips 36" 9618 model but am going mad with confusion.
    (Having looked at the pan pd30 and tosh models, I felt their appearances would date a bit more quickly - though obviously the pic is the important bit )
    my questions are ;

1) there dont seem to be many people commenting on the philips - is this a good thing ?
    2) currys are advertising a tosh 36" 36zd26p for £999 in the sale - is it worth spending another £400 for pixel plus ?
    3) I always perceived philips as a bit of a 'cheap' make - has their image really changed
    4) I plan to order it from digital direct - are they ok, are they likely to drop it in the sales, and does anyone recommend taking out an extended warranty.

Thanks in anticipation - apologies if I have breached any sort of etiquette here I am a new member - merry xmas !

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Firstly,welcome.

Philips are not a cheap make,they make some of the best tvs out there.

You seem to be jumping in at the deep end with such a huge screen and 100Hz at that.

Pixel Plus is not rated by all people on here that highly and possibly not above the Tosh,so beware.

I would stick with a 32in 50Hz tv first,but for which one to get,you need to do more research on here and for reviews of them.

Good luck.

:)

3. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wayne thanks for the advice - Just for info I have a 4:3 30" Sony that is about 6 years old and a decent pro-logic technics amp system etc. My living room will easily accommodate a 36" screen, which I wanted to enjoy DVD movies in the main, but my concerns are that the limitations of the CRT technology at that size will be a disappointment compared to my older TV - Ill keep looking at the forum anyway,

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    The problem with 36in TV's is that they seem to think that they need all this extra fancy processing technology in them,which can mess a picture up,especially when going from a Sony 30in.This is why I recommended a widescreen 32in 50Hz TV.This will still give you a bigger 16:9 pic area than your Sony.

What about a 32in and a Dolby Digital/DTS set up?

5. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I briefly considered 32 " but basically want as big a quality picture as I can get - My other half wont wear a rear proj tv (calls them ugly big things) and I'm not prepared to take the financial vs reliability risk with plasma just yet (in my organisation over 100k has been spent on plasma screens that are now breaking down after about 18 months). In any case Im definitely going to get a 36 " crt for the time being - suppose Ill have to live with some of the idiosyncracies (?) and faults that the latest TV's seem to have - though it does seem a bit ironic that the latest gear may not come up to cratch with my old set !!!

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I think you're going down the right road by going CRT,it's still the best at the mo.

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79