1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 36PW9618 Noob question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DamInc, Jan 5, 2004.

1. DamInc

DamInc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

First post. :)

Bought a Philips 36PW9618 yesterday and set it all up with Sky, Amp, DVD player and fiddled with the picture settings till I was happy (DVD pictures are awesome, Sky less so especially sport - but I can play with that.) Was watching it all of yesterday and switched the machine off. Wake up this morning and wanted to watch a bit of the Indian's slapping the Aussies silly at the cricket.

Swich the TV on and the blue power light comes on. The auto switching for the SCART from Sky didn't kick in (as I assumed it would. Hmm. Press a button (one of the channel buttons) and nothing happens except that the power light starts flashing. Still blue but carries on flashing. Tried a few times and same thing over and over (tried going to EXT1 (where the Sky is plugged into) from the remote when the Power light was blue but no go.)

Switched off, switched on left for a min or so then the light goes red. Press a button on the remote and it flashes blue. Been so early in the morning it may have been something as stupid as the Sky Scart falling out or something but I didn't check (it was early!)

Anyone else have this. Know what it means? Worried about nothing?

If you can help or have experience of this I'd love to hear it! Thanks in advance. :)

Mark Whelan

2. DamInc

DamInc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, emoved all Scarts and powered off and switched on, same thing (was hoping to see a blue screen). Have tried with differing sources in EXT 1 and EXT 2 and powered off and on and no go.

Don't you just *HATE* it when things like this happen? Got to have an engineer round to look at it. Sigh.

3. DamInc

DamInc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again! Thought I'd give you an update (to anyone that is interested - and those that might be thinking of buying a 36PW9618 might well be.)

The firm who I bought this off said that the engineer would phone me tomorrow (today) before 11am to arrange a time to come and look at it as me and my wife both work and will not be at the house before 6pm. Didn't get a call. Phoned the helpline (hah!) again and explained the entire situation to the operator. She said she'd call him/her and see what she could do. She ca back and said he's be round after 2pm! Through gritted teeth I reminded her that no-one was going to be there before 6pm. Her exact words were "but they don't work that late!" Oh. So, a national company has *no* engineering facilities for customers who have a substandard piece of equipment bought of your company? Lot's of flapping and umming and not answering the question. She eventually put's me through to the team who deal with TV's for this company. Woo-hoo.

I ask him immediately if he had been passed the details from the woman I just spoke to (very naive of me, I know, but you can hope). Nope. Grr. Have to explain all over again. He decides to call the engineer as well. Comes back and the engineers last job is 5:30pm and no way is he working past that. Now, I might be really selfish here, but am I wrong for not wanting to take a day off from my holiday entitlement to wait for them to sort a problem with their item they sold me? No, I don't think I am being unreasonable. I, by this point, am becoming a bit angry but remain calm to the poor bloke (I've done call centre work, it's a horrible job, be nice to them.) He then asks if they can send somone round on Saturday morning to look at it. Last straw for me. I tell him I want it exchanging immediately. Not repairing but changing. He then has to ask his manager whether he can do this. Now, I might be wrong, but the TV broke after 1 day therefore it would not appear to me to be of saleable quality so I would assume I would be in my rights to have it exchanged with no quibbles. But he has to ask for permission? Eventually he gets it.

The depot holding the stuff will apparently call me within "the next few days" to arrange a time to come and change it (which will have to be after 6pm, naturally). I'll give them till 12 noon on Thursday.

If I don't get a call then I've had enough. I want rid and my money back. Do you think I'm within my rights to demand this? I would have thought so. Which would be the best option? Their helpline or straight to the store manager from where we got the TV?

Damn shame is, it's a lovely TV!

And what's the shop? Always cutting prices....

Mark Whelan (sorry for boring you but I need to vent.)

4. latent

latent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are perfectly within your rights! If a item has been purchased and is faulty either from new or within a reasonable time, you can state that the item is of 'unmerchanteable quality' requesting a replacement or refund. It depends on two things the company's policy on whether they give refunds or replacements and what is deemed a 'reasonable time' I would imagine that companies make their own mind up on the latter. but I would guess 4 - 6 weeks is average.

Apart from this, if large, so called respected retailers wish to keep up a good customer focussed reputation, then compliance or at least compromise should be in their interest.

I wish you all the best. I will be experiencing this company at the end of the week, when I take delivery of the 36PW9038 ordered via their website. I hope I will not encounter any problems - fingers crossed!

5. pward

pward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear you have had problems with your TV and that were unhappy with the store's after-sales service.

As far as I understand UK consumer law (happy to be corrected by any legal chaps out there), you are entitled to a refund or replacement (your choice, not the retailers). The goods are not of merchantable quality and you have the right to formally reject them.

Getting the store to play ball may be harder...

Start by talking to the store manager. Explain the situation - the goods are not of merchantable quality and you wish to reject them. Ask him to arrange for collection and the subsequent refund.

Good luck,

Paul