1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 36PW9618 - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by craigus, Jun 13, 2004.

1. craigus

craigus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I've read excellent reviews about the 32PW9618, but not heard anything about the 36" version. Does anyone know of any side effects due to the increased screen size or any other problems with the set?

Would really welcome any feedback please.

Cheers

Craig :lease:

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Craig,

I bought the 36PW9618 two months ago and cannot praise this television enough. Sound and picture are superb. Hem and Maxi also bought the same set around the same time and we are all very happy with it. There are seven aspect ratios, including auto format which adjusts the current programme picture to fill the screen. For old 4:3 programmes I find 14:9 a very good compromise.

The teletext pages (on analogue) are a joy to use. No waiting for the next page, press the button and you're there without inputting the page number. The menu is so easy to access to adjust picture and sound. The sound can be set to Personal, Speech, Music, Movies or Multimedia. I tend to keep it on Speech or Music (you can really hear the integrated subwoofer on this setting). The remote control is very classy, heavy and so easy to use. I keep my digital option choice on Pixel Plus and there is Movie Plus (which is meant to be for fast moving scenes). There are also Double Lines and 100 Hz Digital Scan (better for football matches). There are so many adjustments
    you can make to the picture you will be forever tweaking it in the first few weeks.

I watch all my viewing on Sky + as our analogue picture is not good on some channels. The picture source has to be good, as for all televisions. I think the picture improves after a couple of weeks, maybe due to achieving optimum settings. After viewing older sets it was such a joy to see this wonderful picture and the sound is so clear. The wireless speakers work very well although I used a cinch cable for my set. If you buy one, when you connect the wireless module to the back of the tv, do not clip it into the tv just let it hang down, this stops interference through the wireless speakers. The 36" size too gives more of a feeling of "being there" when watching any programme and I haven't encountered any faults, which would have been magnified by this size screen. I now watch from about eleven feet away from the screen I love the look of this television and everything about it. I often regret a choice I've made when a new purchase has been made. Not in this case, however. Incidentally the only place I could see one on view was a Curry's Superstore.

Those who bought the 36" set (Hem and Maxi) say the DVD picture is amazing. I have yet to buy one.

If you join the happy Philips PW9618 fraternity, I hope you get a perfect set and it is to your liking. All the best to you.

Cynthia

3. craigus

craigus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cynthia

You've made my mind up for me - thanks for your detailed & speedy reply.

I'll post when I'm up & running - hoping to get it delivered for next week.

Once again, many thanks.

Craig :thumbsup:

4. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cynthia,
    I was hoping could help me!
    Ok i'm going to get straight to the problem!! I'm after buying a Philips 32PW9618, and first off i have to say i love it! the picture quality is amazing!

ok, i also have a Sony NS-405. I just put in "Ferris Buellers Day off" (a 2.35 film) and a couple of mins into the film a "list" comes on to the screen saying what to you should do to convince you parents that you are sick!

but i noticed that the words are off the edge of the screen when in "widescreen" mode!! when in superzoom mode you can see the whole picture (with the black bars top and bottom because it is a 2.35 film, but it looks a bit stretched vertically!. i've also tried it in my xbox with the same problem!! and it's not just that film, it's just more noticable in this film with the list that appears on the screen!)

The DVD player is set up for 16.9 tv's!! to test this. put in a 2.35 film and move between the different screen aspects and let me know if a bit of the picture is missing off the edge of the screen when in Widescreen Mode!!! Now it's not much, but i thought it shouldn't happen! it's may be a couple of centimetres off each edge of the screen.

PLEASE, PLEASE reply and let me know your findings!!!

Thanks a Million,

talk soon,
    B-man

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Belmulletman,

The problem you describe is caused by overscan. All CRT televisions suffer from this to some degree, although some chop off more of the picture than others.

There is a test for this on the Avia test disc where you can measure how much your set overscans. 4% is about the best you can hope for, although many sets overscan by 8% or so, which isn't really acceptable.

6. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks Fatbob, but where i can get this disk you are talking of?? I will probably need to buy it online as i live in Dublin and to be honest, there are not real shops here with any type of knowledge in AV!! I mean i went into the official Philips shop asking some question's about the 9618 before i bought it, now i knew the answers, but just wanted to make double sure the set had the features i had read about!! and the sales Rep's, i mean all of them, didn't have a clue what i was talking about!!!!

Thanks again, it's good to know that's it's not just my TV, and that's it's a technical problem with all CRTs!

B-man

7. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    oh, fatbob, i ment to ask, is there any way that this can be adjusted in the Geometry settings?? you know to minimise the amount of the pic dis appearing off the edge??

thanks again,

B-man

8. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

There are two calibration dvd's that include tests for measuring overscan. One is Avia guide to home theater and the other is Digital Video Essentials. If you follow this link you'll find both dvd's are sold on this forum.

Avia is a lot more expensive than Digital Video Essentials, but Avia has the better test of the two for checking overscan. Overall though, both disks are very good.

Overscan can be reduced by entering the service menu and reducing V (vertical) SIZE and H (horizontal) SIZE, although it can be a tricky job as the picture proportions need to be kept accurate. My set has some pretty bad convergance errors concealed in the parts of the picture hidden by overscan, although I was able to reduce it from 8% to 4%. There's a link [thread=126885]here[/thread] with a bit more info on reducing overscan.

If you find the overscan on your set is no higher than 5%, then I wouldn't bother trying to adjust it as that's virtually as good as it gets on a CRT, and it is a risky business making changes in the service menu.

One way of getting an idea of how much your set overscans the image is to watch a scene of a film on your PC monitor (PC monitors don't overscan the image) where there are characters on the extreme edge of the screen, and then rewatch the scene on your tv. You'll probably be quite shocked at just how much the television crops the image.

Cheers,

Bob.

9. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi B-man,

I'm really glad you got your 32PW9618 and love it. I remember you having a 28" set but didn't have a lot of room for anything too large.

Thank goodness Bob stepped in with such great information. I don't possess a DVD player as yet although I want to get one just to use the Avia or Digital Video Essentials kit! Therefore I couldn't give you any advice at all.

I did find your query interesting and through Google I had a better understanding of the problem. One web site (below) explained what happens; it would seem any aspect ratio is a compromise when using that ratio film. "Ferris Bueller's Day off" sounds hilarious; hope you don't miss too much of the picture with all the cropping. Happy viewing for both of us, the only problem is getting any work done!

http://www.technosound.co.uk/nav.php?pageid=hcg_widescreen

10. craigus

craigus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cynthia

In case you check back - you did convince me to order the TV. Just gotta wait 3-4 weeks for delivery, but only paid an excellent £1279 inc delivery so can't really complain.

Will post when I receive it & let you know what I think.

Once again, thanks for your reply.

Craig

11. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Craig,

Thank you for letting me know you had ordered your PW9618, I had wondered if you might have had a change of heart. I used to get carried away by reading some of the reviews then change my mind yet again!

It's so frustrating waiting for it to arrive but so worth the wait. That's an excellent price you paid including delivery, you obviously researched it well. Incidentally, there is a setting (and button) for Active Control which is meant to give optimum picture settings. I think Maxi turns his off and Hem and I keep ours on Minimum. It does constantly adjust your personal settings and is not so good for brilliant sun scenes. You will have to try out which suits you best. Part of the fun of having this television is trying out all the adjustments. I feel excited for you, remembering how I felt before it was delivered and then those first few weeks of viewing. I hope you get good television reception to do it justice. I can't ever imagine wanting to change my television for another, maybe a 60" one in years to come!

I appreciate you letting me know I helped you make up your mind. Please let it be a perfect television or my name will be mud!

Cynthia

12. tazmo

tazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig,
    Where did you manage to get it from for that price ?
    That really is a good price !

13. craigus

craigus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tazmo & Cynthia

Have been let down by TV & Video Direct and/or Philips. After 2 weeks on order, the retailer has said they can't get any more stocks, but rang Philips who have said it is still available!?! At least TV & Video Direct have removed it from their website.

Have conceeded defeat & gone for the 36pw9308 which should be delivered this Thursday. The difference in price will allow for a 6.1 receiver (already have the speakers set up) & for a RGB scart switchbox, but the TV is fairly ugly in comparison to the 9618. Also no PIP.

They have the 32pw9618 in stock, but really want a 36" TV.

Will post when I get the TV.

Craig :rolleyes:

14. craigus

craigus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cynthia/everyone

Although I ended up with the 36PW9308 (please see my post above), I'm gobsmacked with the picture. I didn't believe all hype about Pixel Plus, but certainly do now. Sky+ & DVD pictures are (in my lamen's opinion) sublime - in fact it is taking some getting used to, as it's like watching a live broadcast. Just watching Attack Of The Clones on Sky & watched LOTR - The Two Towers on DVD last night. Blown away with them both.

Gonna have a play around with the modes to see what is the best, but would appreciate any further advice you could give.

Thanks

Craig

15. dave1892

dave1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I got this TV two months ago, and have some questions for the experts out there. My main question is about Movie Plus - I'd been led to believe that it largely 'solved' the halo effect from Pixel Plus. I can't really see that at all, and I still see a very noticeable halo effect on many (but not all) moving things. Is that normal or have I misunderstood.

The other problems are - thin wedge of bright light at the top right hand corner of the tube - tilt can't seem to get rid of it without seriously tilting the picture. Sometimes when switching on you get no picture until you change channel. Then two days ago it packed in completely - totally dead. It's going in for repair, but I may just ask for a complete replacement.

Thanks for any help
    Dave

16. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it except pal progressive?

17. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not to sure to be honest with you! But i do know that when i play my xbox with a game that supports Porgressive Scan i am given an option to switch on Progressive Scan.

but i have to say, that Movie Plus (when setup right) blows the progressive scan out of the water!! games and DVD look amazing!! it does take some time to get used to the difference in the picture quatily, even on analogue signals!!!!

let me know how you get on,

B-Man

18. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,
    The 9618 does look good and has a very superb picture. However I do not need the surround speakers etc. Does anyone know if the 9308 is the same TV without the speakers, doesn't look as nice either.

19. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well the 9308 is sort of similar to the 9618. the most important difference is the 9618 has 4 scart sockets on the back!! (2 are RGB enabled!) and the 9308 has only 2! with one being RGB enabled. there are far more connections on the 9618!! i would definatly recomment the 9618 over the 9308!! if only for the extra connections and the fact it looks better!!!

B-Man

20. Sunny101

Sunny101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post to ANY forum!
    I was looking at the 32PW9618 after some frantic research. I have knowledge about sound, but not vision. So this forum really helped me out - thanks to all you guys and gals out there for educating me about vision. :thumbsup:

Iv just bought a 32PW9618. I got what I thought was a fantastic deal - £790 plus £35 delivery charge. I opted for the speedy delivery:)

Iv just set everything up, I have a Yamaha 5540, Mission 5.1 setup, and a Pioneer DV-535.

I have a major/slight worry - not sure which. Everything displayed with pixel plus or movie plus - seems to be "fake" or heavily processed. Its as though your watching an episode of Star Trek on Sky. It has those speeded up effects, like your watching a play on tv.

Has anyone else encoutered this? or is it that im just not used to this type of modern viewing? When I switch to 100Hz Digital Scan, the play is back to normal, ie. like a movie should "feel" & "look". But, the problem with 100Hz is that you can see horizontal lines tracing across - hence it defeats the purpose of the set! But when in Pixel Plus etc - the picture is damn clear!

Also, I read a thread about the automatic switching between 16:9 and 4:3. My set doesnt do it either, I have to manually select different options for Sky and DVD playback.

Iv also noticed that Widescreen mode chops off more than 4:3 mode when playing a 16:9 format DVD and SKY playback. I thought that buying a Widescreen tv would eliminate all black bars, and also the cropping effects??

I want to learn about the service menus and how they can help, but cannot access them. I punched in a code from a thread here, but couldnt get it to work.

I would very much appreciate if anyone can help, because I just received the set today, and want to know if I have a faulty tv!

Thanks again

Sunny

21. Phil55

Phil55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sunny,

I havw a 36 inch PW9618 and have the same problems as you though my black bars tend to slope a bit making them more obvious, and like your set they dissapear completly when in Pixel or Movie Plus. I find the an NTSC source will also produce perfect pictures without lines but of course you are sacrificing resolution a little and as yet I have no idea how to turn a broadcast of PAL signals into this format.
    It's a bitch I know and if I'd payed the full price for this bad boy I'd be complaining like mad but as it is I think I'll keep it.

P.s I also want the service menu code for mine but Philips won't give me it.

Cheers.

22. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Sunny101,
    My brother has the 36pw9618 and the only way he could get rid of the "cut and pasted" effect was to use another picture mode. It certainly is not a fault as such, but is a design problem which is why after seeing my brothers I decided not to get one, even though on the other picture mode, problems aside, it is probably the sharpest clearest picture ive ever seen! Alas too much money for design faults in my opinion. :(

23. Sunny101

Sunny101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for your reply guys. Phill5 - I know what you mean about the price - its great for what we're getting:)

C.Wolf you right about the cut and paste. I spoke to a few other about this and they have the same problem.

At the moment Im watching DVDs with 100hz mode. Im also thinking about upgrading my DVD player. I currently have a Pioneer DV-360, and a Pioneer DV-535 (out of my living room). They pretty much produce a similar result.

Im thinking of buying the Harman Kardon DVD22, or the Pioneer DV-470S.

Im not sure if it will make a difference.

I called Philips customer services, they said my tv may be faulty due to the ratio swicthing problem I described to them. However the store where I bought it will send an engineer round soon..

Will let you guys know how I get on :suicide:

Cheers,

Sunny