Philips 36PW9607c Noisy Please Advise

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rugman, Jan 7, 2003.

1. rugman

rugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've got a 36" Philips , 4 weeks old. Pretty happy with it other than the thing is particularly noisy. It seems to hum/whistle fairly loudly when something white is on the screen. If scanning through the programme selection on Sky Dig for instance whilst watching a programme produces a very loud "humming". Its not
    coming from the speakers as the sound can be muted.
    Seems to eminate from the back of the set. Is this a "feature" of going to this screen size CRT?
    Its particularly annoying if I'm watching something with the volume set low.

Any ideas please folks much appreciated. Should I call an engineer?

cheers

Rugman:confused:

2. rugman

rugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice please guys??

3. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot comment on the 9607, 36" but I have the 9617, 32" and it is completely silent, no hum, buzz or anything else. Also, I have not seen this raised as an issue on the 9607 on this or any other forum. Go complain.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 32PW9617 and I must say it's almost silent. Other users of the 36PW9607 have commented on its quietness too. I seem to remember Jon Weaver, a member who has since bought a plasma TV mentioning how quiet his TV was compared to his old 36" Sony.

On this (anecdotal) basis, I'd say that you should get the set swapped (or at the very least, looked at.)

Good luck ;)

5. rugman

rugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that.

Yeah, think its wise to get it checked then.
    Especially now I'm listening out for it, guess its only
    likely to become more irritating.

cheers

6. They

They
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with my Philips 36", previous model to yours. The engineer came round and sealed up all the power coils on the PCBs and this solved the problem of whistles and squeeles etc. Just left with a typical sort of mains buzz now which is barely noticable even though I am quite sensitive to such things and sit quite close to the TV.

7. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the set have a Panasonic TAU tube (you can tell because they have an extra pixel (dot) on the far left and right of the picture, located in the middle vertically)? TV's with these tubes are often noisy and the only solution I know is to get a TV with a different tube.

8. rugman

rugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the origin of the tube.

the engineer is coming tomorrow so I'll let you know the outcome.

cheers

Rug

9. rugman

rugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Engineer called on Friday morning.
    He reckons the noise is expected with the amount of energy being moved around for a 36" screen particularly when displaying whites.

I'm not 100% convinced, he didnt seem massively knowledgable or instill much confidence.

Has anyone else got experience of this phillips 36" set?

cheers

Rug

10. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you have said enough. If the set is noisy it is noisy. The engineer doesn't have to listen to it. I would start to look for a refund. I have been in the same position myself with deaf engineers. It is up to you in the end but think about how long you will have the set.

Good luck

11. phil edwards

phil edwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 9607 (4months old) is also intermittently noisy, the sky banner is problematic with a high pitched noise until it times out.

Also static noise problems when the picture goes from light to dark

As such I am about to talk to the shop from where it was purchased.

It also came with a Philips DVD and Video, the DVD went back and was exchanged twice, as it threw up a screen menu when you increased the TV volume control

The DVD was replaced with an upgraded model for £10 and now works fine (Philips knew that the dvd had a fault but has elected to tell nobody.)

12. rugman

rugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deaf engineer visited and it wasnt helped by the fact we live on a new estate, during the week its pretty noisy outside. He recognised it was "slightly" noisy but suggested you can expect a higher level of operating noise on a unit as big as this.

He didnt dismiss the problem though and said if I'm not happy in a few weeks they will come back - hopefully when its quieter outside.

I'm going to get them back on a saturday this time.

Have you arranged an engineer visit?