Philips 36PW9607: What does the 'digital sources' install option actually do?

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
I have just recived my 36PW9607 and am so far VERY happy.

Under the install menu, there is a 'Digital Sources' option, which allow you to select which AV inputs have a 'digital device' connected (i.e DVD, Set-Top-Box etc)..

What does this actually do and what does it change on the TV?

I have been playing around and I can't actually work out what it does, and the instructions don't really explain.

Can anyone help??

Jon

This is one of the great mysteries, as Philips themselves seem to have absolutely no idea what it's for. I think it might affect the way Active Control and DNR behave, but I have never seen any difference whatsoever when switching it. There certainly are no digital inputs for video, that's for sure...

I have a theory on this that may or may not be what it's really for!... I have a feeling that the system tries to prioritise switching to inputs which have a digital source connected... eg. giving the STB priority over say, a switched on VCR.

I THINCK THE DIGITAL SOURCE SHOULD BE THE AV THAT OR SCART SOCKET THAT YOU WANT SURROUND SOUND TO WORK WITH SO PROBABLY SCART 1 RGB FOR THE DVD AND HAVE A SEPERATE CABLE CONETED TO THE DVD TV DIGITAL INPUT ON THE TV TO GIVE YOU DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 SURROUND SOUND AS I DONT THINCK IT WORKS THROUGH THE SCART YOU NEED THE SOUND CABLE CONNECTED FROM THE DVD TO THE TV .IF YOU DONT THEN YOU ONLY GET PROLOGIC .

yup i thinck you chose the scart which you want to be 5.1 and that is the device that you connect the audio lead to the tv from so it can send 5.1 signals to the tv for decoding .you can only have one device suplying 5.1 for the tv to decode.it only has ond 5.1 audio in

Still have this tv but have a 42 inch philips in the bedroom now still has a great picture

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom