PHILIPS 36PW9607 + PHILIPS DVDR980 for less than £2000

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Serpico, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK it's Comet but it's a damned good deal isn't it? I know it means using Comet which a few people find problematic, but at this price.....

To get the details just click on Televisions then TV Packages.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Serpico,
    Go on, go on...buy it!

3. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You must work for Phillips dude!

Seriously, it is tempting. I'm going to see how the dvd-r rates before commiting myself, but I expect to be down at my local Comet tomorrow afternoon, for a demo at least. I can't believe there's nowhere cheaper.

I'll take the Matrix along to see what it performs like. I'd better be impressed.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Serpico,
    I just tried to look at the Empire Direct site to check their price but it said "server too busy".
    Anyway, from memory I'm sure if you do a search the 36PW9607 is about £1500 ish.
    If you buy @Comet, you'll have to fight off the warranty attack, a lot of happy folks get John Lewis to price match some of the bricks and clicks dealers, 5 year warranty included... ish.
    I have a Philips DVDR985 and it is good, though the Pioneer I like better.
    I think if it was my choice, depending on what you need, I would obtain the best deal separately on the tv and try an ordinary DVD player with maybe a Skyplus+ or Tivo.
    DVD recorders are still a bit pricey and cumbersome in comparison ....just my opinion.
    Good demo-ing.

5. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Empire Direct price was just under £1600 if memory serves.

I never have any problems turning down extended warranty pressure. I just make up a story that my brother fixes (insert product here) for a living. Or just start looking mean.

I have a multi region dvd already, but I'd love to be able to lose the reliance on video tape.

I believe Allders are part of the John Lewis group aren't they. They certainly offer 5 year guarantees and price matching. How tough is it to get them on board? Will they take phone orders?

6. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I poppped down to Comet this afternoon and had a looksie at the tv as planned. I took The Matrix on dvd to test it out and was most impressed with the sound. I expected better from the picture. I was anticipating all the curves of the picture to be perfectly formed, but there were still jags to be seen. I was impressed by pixel+ though. It really brings out the detail in backgrounds and skin tones.

I was very surprised that they wouldn't sell me the tv dvd-r combi at the price advertised on their website. They even claimed I was mistaken and it wasn't available for the price I quoted on the web. Ah well. I'll ring Allders tomorrow to see if they'll price match the tv and dvd-r for £2000, but I'm expecting a polite refusal. In which case I'll order from Comet.

7. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not print off the comet price page on their website and take it down to your comet store :)

Im sure they also have internet conetion in store so tell em to look for thereselves.

Spike