1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 36PW9527 service menu no Test Pattern option?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ceejay, Aug 29, 2002.

1. ceejay

ceejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all,

I recently sold my 36PW9525 and bought a 36PW9527.
    Very pleased with it, almost perfect geometry, but as almost isn't enough, I tried going in to the service menu yesterday with "062596 i+" just to check things out a bit.
    Oddly enough, there is a Test Pattern On/Off option at the top of the geometry menus, but it's greyed out and can't be selected.
    Anyone have any idea what is going on here and maybe how I can access the built-in test patterns on my TV?

Thanks,
    Ceejay

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Although Zacabeb is the person to ask, AFAIK, the test patterns on this range can only be accessed for the super-zoom settings. For others, you'll need to feed an external alignment grid from something like Ultimate DVD Platinum.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The test pattern does not appear until you alter one of the parameters. It is simple and not really useful for anything but linearity adjustments. It's best to find an off-air 16:9 test pattern as they may have visual references for proper geometry and overscan.

4. ceejay

ceejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, I know what you mean... It was like that on my 9525...
    But on this telly it's different... You know when you're in a windows app and you go into a menu, and the menu items you can't choose are greyed out and you can't choose them?
    It's the same on this telly : the Test Pattern option is greyed out, and you can't select it...
    Strange init?
    I think that when you enter the "062...." code on this telly you are in some kind of "customer service menu". FI : the "Clear NVR" option is also greyed out. I know from first hand experience that this is a VERY dangerous item to select, and you simply can't when you go into the service menu with "062...".
    Maybe there is some other code for this sets to go into the "engineer service menu" where you can select "Test Pattern On/Off"...
    If anybody should know it, I'd like to know...
    It's not killing me tho'... Geometry is almost spot on, but I'd like be able to tweak it just a little bit with the set's own test pattern....

Cheers,
    CJ

5. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lots of sets have 'test pattern' or something similar in their software, its usually only available when driving a rear proj unit, when its of much more use.
    Its a typical case of common software for a range of chassis with bits and pieces activated as required for the set in question.

6. ceejay

ceejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    But it was available in the previous model... Also, that chassis isn't used for RPTV's, nor are any other CRT-chassis I think...

7. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Now that I think about it, it might be that when you adjust the geometry the set switches to Pixel Plus mode - something that should be easily confirmed by the tell-tale tiny on-screen menu. If so, it might simply be that it is not possible for the character generator to create a decent test pattern in that resolution.

The option to clear the NVM might be - and I'm just guessing now - that it can only be done when physically enabling the service mode with the jumpers inside the set. That would make sense as you would only clear the NVM (if necessary) after a repair or upgrade.