Philips 36PW9525 - Horizontal bands

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by stefaan, Jan 15, 2002.

1. stefaan

stefaan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just bought a Philips 36PW9525 and I think it's great.

I do have a problem, however. I think that something must be wrong with my antenna. I get 1/2 horizontal bands, 1 or 2 inches wide, going up or down the screen where the color is a bit darker, especially when the background has a lighter colour.

I get the problem when I connect TV directly to antenna and when I connect it through the VCR.

I don't get the problem when I use the VCR's tuner and still use the antenna lead to send signal to the TV - looks like the decoding and encoding in the VCR hides the problem (probably due to the poor quality of my cheap VCR).

I have no problem with DVD (RGB) or VCR (video).

I'm not really sure yet but I do have the impression that this gets worse in the evening.

Anybody has an idea ?
    What could be wrong when you get horizontal bands like that ?
    Anything I could try ?

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    do a search on here, I seem to remember it's a common 'fault' with this set?...

3. stefaan

stefaan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I did the search - didn't find something like the problem I seem to have. Although I must admit that I'm not very familiar with the terminology used in some of the posts.

ignore: is this a joke ? I don't see any of the problems mentioned in all above posts on my TV (I guess I'm not as demanding as a lot of the members here) but these bl**dy bands are very difficult to ignore. Especially, once you've noticed them they seem to constantly grab your attention - something like NOT thinking of pink elephants :-(

I still think that it has nothing to do with the set. I still think that the real problem is the antenna or coax cable or ... My suspicion is that it has something to do with the fact that I live in an appartment and that probably everybody is using this antenna (could explain that the problem is more noticable in the evening when everybody is watching TV). But again, my knowledge is very poor on these subjects and thus I don't know if this is possible and what to do about it.

4. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Sorry I didnt mean ignore the bands, I meant ignore the post, did it in error and cant delete it...I believe you should take the set back. I loked at this set at one point myself and saw the bands while watching dvd toy story and twas then told that 'yes its how the set is'...

5. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Hi Stefaan

I've had the Philips 36pw9525 set for about a year now but have never seen any "bands" as you describe it on mine.

Although slightly different, I seem to remember some threads on this Philips a while back, referring to two vertical lines that ran down about an inch in from each side of the screen. I think this fault was encountered on DVD playback though.

All I can suggest is that there could be a fault with your tv's tuner or, as you suggest, the antenna is at fault. Maybe tweak the aerial a little or contact the place you made the purchase from?

I'm no expert, just sorry I couldn't be of any more help.