1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 36PW9525 and Philips 36PW9607

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Kain, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What are the differences between these two Philips TVs? Secondly, would you take one of these Philips TVs or a Panasonic TX-36PB50?

2. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By the way, do the Philips support progressive scan?

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The 9607 is Pixel Plus. I have one - a great TV, although not everybody agrees. In my view it produces the best picture quality of any set in this category. I would rate it well above the Panasonic. The 9607 has a Quintrix tube, but the wizardry of the set lies in the electronics, not the tube. There are plenty of posts on this forum about these sets if you want to do some research.

They do not do Prog scan.

4. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No progressive scan? Why would Philips make such 16:9 TVs and then not support progressive scan (480p)?

5. jools60

jools60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my 9607 yesterday after having my year old sony 32fq75 given back to Sony after the scrolling bars fiasco (see other threads).
    Firstly this set is a stunning looking set compared to the Sony FQ75.
    Secondly I viewed Spy Game DVD last night on it and it also looked stunning....no scrolling bars !!
    I haven't had too much time to "play" around it but I, like PhilipB, am very happy with it.

6. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why don't these Philips TVs support progressive scan (480p)? It's a big plus when watching DVDs or playing console games that support progressive scan.

7. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phillips is predominatley a European manufacturer - Progressive scan is more something that is used with NTSC due to NTSC's weakness compared to PAL.

As far as im aware there arnt that many TVs in the UK that do support prgressive scan - also not many DvD players support it either.

I did compare this TV side by side with a progressive scan TV and in my opinion the Pixel plus set looked better than progressive anyways.

Spike

8. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    Without wishing to stoke up the debate of who can see/hear minute differences in quality I have the 9607 and have also viewed Plasmas using Prog Scan and quite frankly I am not sure that 'personally' I could see any difference whatsoever. I am also a firm believer in the more functionality something has the more things that can go worng so in my view Phillips have gone with P+ as their new 'function' and left Prog Scan till another day.

I love my picture, others hate it and the same would almost certainly be true with Prog Scan.

9. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, I didn't know that. Can you please explain what weakness NTSC has compared to PAL? Thanks! :)

10. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    There's also the issue of PAL material not being licensed for Prog scan output. Something to do with copy protection/piracy etc Should be sorted out soon I hear.

Agree with Nictry. Prog Scan can make a significant difference but not always, and its minimal on CRT displays. Plasmas do benefit. The Pixel plus on the Philips TVs does just as good a job IMO.

NTSC is generally regarded as inferior to PAL for various technical reasons I'm not too well on top of. It is unkindly known as Never The Same Colour.

11. SAINT

SAINT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to divert

Jools60 can you tell me where you bought your tv from and for how much ??? wish to buy asap doo you think i can get it before friday ??? for the england and brazil match? thanx anyway!

the saint

12. Pyara

Pyara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the above set which does not have the pixel plus features, but nevertheless has a great display.

Is their a huge inrease in picture quality when using pixel plus? and do the Philips line of Plasma's (42PW9952 mainly) support pixel plus?

13. jools60

jools60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saint
    I am based in Ireland and bought mine through DID Electrical as a special order. I had a Sony FQ75 but it had all the associated problems with it.
    As we don't get the same "discount" houses beit internet or competetive shops like the UK does I paid over the odds at €2860
    plus €160 for the stand. Same price as Brown Thomas, Philips shop and Arnotts.
    If you are in Ireland Arnotts will be your best bet.
    Hope this helps.

14. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Pyara

Pixel plus does improve the picture, but "huge" is a personal judgement. Philips plasmas do not yet use PP, but I have read that it may be incorporated sometime soon.

15. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kain

If you are after a Prog Scan CRT tv have a look at the Toshiba xxZD26P

Paul

16. SAINT

SAINT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i shouldve noticed your location !!!!! im based in the uk but thanx anyway ............

the saint