1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32pw9768

Discussion in 'TVs' started by braincapers, Apr 13, 2004.

1. braincapers

braincapers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought one and I have mixed feelings. I've just read a few of the threads on pixelplus (yes I should have read them first) and my problem is similar to some previous posters in that blocking at times is quite bad. However, it's only really bad on cable (telewest), OK on analogue and not noticeable on DVD. In fact the telly is almost worth the money for the DVD picture.

Does anyone have any views on settings/cabling which might solve the problem or is the TV exposing the limitations of digital cable?

2. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pixel Plus can be very demanding concerning the quality of the source. Here if Finland we have a problem with some channnels using low bitrates and the effects are visible on every TV -> blocking. The thing with Pixel Plus here it that since it is actually more demanding concerning the quality of the source also the blocking will be more apparent. On the other hand it will give you more details when watching DVDs or playing console games where it really shines (especially the motion compensation).

As far as solutions go I would recommend that you change the digital mode from Pixel Plus to 100 Hz digital scan if blocking becomes too disturbing. I don't think that upgrading cabling will bring much improment if you already have atleast somewhat good cables. Actually the problems which you'll get from poor cabling are totally different (and more annoying).

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Braincapers,

The 9768 is the one with the built in hard disk isn't it?

How are you getting on with this feature?

4. braincapers

braincapers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PVR feature is excellent (although the manual says that the sound is mono).

The TV, and pixel plus in general, get good reviews but I've seen a lot of negative feedback on the net.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Braincapers,

Must admit not too concerned if the sound is only mono as I would consider myself only a casual recorder of TV progs.

Does the twin tuner on this TV allow recording of one digital channel whilst watching another digital channel?

6. braincapers

braincapers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not with cable. The TV records the channel or source so it is recording av1 in my case. If I change the cable channel it carries on recording whatever channel I'm on. Still it does mean if I come home 10 mins late fora program I can start watching straight away.

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Thanks for your help braincapers!

Any regrets? HOw are you getting on with the Halo effect?

8. fingery

fingery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Braincapers....can i pick your brain so to speak...

I bought a 32PW9768 last week....great TV...i'm well impressed with both picture and sound quality!!!

One problem though (and it is a big one)....I can't use the DVR (HDD recording) facilityy :mad:

When i press the DVR button on the remote nothing happens!!! Also, from the menus choose setup then general and there should be a recording quality option....except there isn't on mine. I've checked the numbers on the sticker on the rear and it definately says 32PW9768!!!

Any ideas what i could check or look for to see what's going on???

9. braincapers

braincapers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a few problems at the outset but nothing like you describe. If I click DVR then the DVR menu appears. Have you tried clicking the record button?

10. fingery

fingery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Record button does bugger all aswell.

I didnt want to just return the set in case i was missing something really obvious and made a :blush: of myself

Have returned TV but now waiting for either a new one or a repair :eek: :mad:

11. Thunderbird6

Thunderbird6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.......thinking of buying one of these sets(very reduced price at the moment) any advice?