Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips 32PW9631 - any opinions?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cbemoore, Jul 25, 2002.

1. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've just been offered a 2nd hand Philips 32PW9631. Its about 4 years old.

Basic spec as follows:

32" Widescreen
    100Hz, with 'Crystal Clear' enhancement
    Dolby Surround, with rear surround speakers

Does anyone have any opinions on this TV? Any major problems to look for? And what would be a fair price?

I've done a web search and looked through old posts on this forum, but can't find any info. Maybe its a rare model?

Cheers

Chris

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I looked in an old Philips catalog (Swedish 1995/1996) and it seems it is an early PALplus set (you might want to check that first).

It is probably based on a BESIC/PROZONIC feature box that has a limited color resolution. This might be of importance, especially for DVD and video games. This is also true of many newer 100Hz sets though.

I think you should look for the general ageing faults, and see how you like the character of the picture. The older 100Hz Philips sets tend to have a bit rough, softish picture.

I haven't got much of a clue on the price... but given that it is fairly old by now you should not pay that much.

3. MLS

MLS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chris - I bought one of these in 1996 (it was delivered and set up at half-time in the England vs Scotland match in Euro96!)

I have to say it has given me 10 years of superb trouble-free service. A great picture, good features and the main reason why I haven't gone over to LCD yet!

One 'feature' I did find more of a hindrence than a benefit was the Digital Noise Reduction, which resulted in shadow images when things moved, so I turned it off or set it to minimum.

Otherwise, not a single complaint - ten years on and it still seems to offer a great picture. No idea what it's worth though. MLS

4. MLS

MLS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually, Zacabeb, the UK version wasn't PALplus. IIRC Philips used its own proprietry interpolation process to add in the extra lines in a letter box broadcast.

The disadvantage was that interpolation is less accurate than PALplus, which I believe encodes the missing lines in the black bars, but very faintly.

The advantage was that it also works on VCR inputs and non-PALplus broadcasts.

It did, however, recognise PALplus signals, so whenever I switched over to C4 it automatically went into 14:9 mode. Not sure if C4 still broadcasts in PALplus as I only have a SKY+ feed now. MLS