1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9618 sound problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by wobbly tv, May 25, 2004.

1. wobbly tv

wobbly tv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read all the reviews I purchased a philips 32pw9618 in November last year. Have to agree with all the previous threads...the picture quality is fantastic! With a good quality DVD, the image is so sharp it almost feels as if one could walk into the movie!

My gripe has to be the sound. I keep getting 50Hz pickup on the surround sound speakers. I've tried all 4 of the wireless channels, and also tried using direct connection via cinch cable all to no avail. This is my second TV, both sets suffered from similar 50Hz pickup...is this a known problem?

I also notice that the main speakers can't handle low frequency notes. Its most noticable when only a single instrument is being played (ie piano, trumpet or tubular bell). If you can imagine the sound that a cracked wine glass makes, then you're pretty close.

I've been told that the 32PW9618 has been discontinued, so my retailer is not able to obtain a replacement........is this true?

2. Hem

Hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've recently purchased the 36PW9618 and think one of the strongest point is the sound reproduction. Can you explain the 50Hz pickup a bit more, not entirely sure what that means. The only problem I get with sound is a slight crackle when walking between the transmitter and reciever for the rears.

It looks as though this set is being discontinued, Philips took it off their website a week or two ago. The 36" looks hard to get but there still seems to be plenty of places selling the 32".

3. wobbly tv

wobbly tv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there's a little history here. My first 32PW9618 was replaced due to an intermittant 50Hz buzz comming from the Front LH speaker. Buzzing would occur once a day and be load enough to blow your socks off! Banging the set on the side would sometimes cure the problem!

Set number 2 arrived about 2 months ago, and has a continuous background 50Hz buzz on the surround sound speakers when in wireless mode. I did not notice this on the first set, so I'm assuming that this not a generic problem. Using a cinch cable between the TV and the now wired surround sound reciever, the audio was clear of the 50Hz buzz. However, I now get a 50Hz buzz on the surround sound when switching the main TV into standby!

Overall, I have to say that the surround sound is dramatically improved in virtually all departments when using the cinch cable connection compared to the RF connection. Which leads me to suspect that the RF transmission is FM analogue rather than some form of digital modulation. If you can't stand the interference caused by walking through the RF field, I would definitely recommend using a cable connection (cables cost around £8 from Maplins). I just hope you don't run into the 50Hz buzz on standby!

4. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i just bought a New 32PW9618 here in ireland, brand new, so yeah there difinatly still available!! actually the guy in the Philips Shop told me that it's stilll their Flagship 32" tv and one of the most popular here in dublin!! so what ever you were told about them being discontiuned was un-true if the guy in the official Philips Store here in Dublin is to be believed!! hope this helps,

B-man

5. Hem

Hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You can still find the 9618 in stock, particularly the 32", but Philips have discontinued this model - from the UK market at least. As I said earlier, it was removed from the Philips website a few weeks ago. Seems a shame as they haven't anything of equal spec to replace it with.

6. tazmo

tazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0