1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9618 Rear Speakers

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ostc_uk, Aug 24, 2004.

1. ostc_uk

ostc_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've recently bought a Philips 32PW9618 and am very pleased with it. However, we are yet to hear even a whisper from the rear speakers. When we run the test function there is a hiss from them in turn, the same as the other speakers but we have not heard anything from them in normal viewing. The green transmission light is on. Please could anyone suggest what we could watch or play to confirm whether they are working, or what we may not have done?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question!

2. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to check the obvious: Can you confirm that you are listening to a 5.1 source? I.e. not just listening to normal stereo TV broadcasts?

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ostc,

I bought the Philips 36PW9618 four months ago and had just the same problem. I was so thrilled with this television but the wireless speaker problem took the joy out of it. It turned out I had made a bad connection. If you get problems with the speakers, on page 22 of the manual it tells you how to connect them with a stereo cinch to stereo 3.5 mm jack cable. I bought one and it was so simple to connect and is neatly hidden behind the television so there is no need to have the wireless box 15 cm above ground level. Also that the distance between the TV and the wireless receiver should be more than 2 metres doesn't apply, everything is just put behind the tv, wireless box and all. This is the simplest way and well worth it in my opinion. However, after I had bought the cinch cable I was still determined to find out why I hadn't had sound from the speakers. Pipcat is right, you have to check that you are watching a dolby digital stereo programme or you will hear zilch. I had read on this forum, and it is often repeated, that you should plug the wireless transmitter module into the back of the forum then let it hang free, don't put the other part into the adjacent plug in the tv. This stops interference with the speakers. I tried all the channels but it turned out channel 1 was fine. I had all the settings on the television correlating with the receiver box. I eventually found that I had not pushed the cable of the 13V DC adaptor fully home in the 13V DC input of the box (see instructions on page 3 of the manual). Just a simple thing to happen. However I do prefer to have the cinch cable as everything is out of sight.

I really am overjoyed with this television, picture and sound are excellent. One minor thing I discovered, which you may not have found out. We watch everything in Sky except my husband likes to watch Ceefax or Teletext on terrestial for weather and cricket. You may not have Sky so this doesn't apply but I will mention it in case you have it. If you leave the picture on terrestial and you return to Sky by pressing O you get picture but no sound. You have to press the - oblong P button on the right of the remote control several times to get to the RGB connection.

Hope all this helps and everything will be working perfectly.

Happy viewing, regards.