Philips 32PW9618 Problem

N

njsinky

My philips 32PW9618 keeps turning itself off and the blue power light flashes. To reset it you need to power down and leave it for 5-10 minutes.

This can occur 20 times a day or never!!!

Any help or ideas please.:mad:

An MG chassis if I remember correctly...... :confused: :)

You're describing a very common fault with this chassis, easily repairable for a half decent technician but it's highly unlikely they'd want to do the repair on site. Shouldn't cost a fortune, part(s) £20ish plus labour.

There's nothing you can do to repair the set yourself.

GG.

Hi njsinky, and welcome to the AV Forums.

In the April issue of "What Video & Widescreen TV" a reader has written to the Video Forum for help with his JVC TV. He says at random times (varying from once a week to every few minutes) it shuts down and the only way to get it going again is to switch it off and then on again at the front panel. The answer is that the fault can be very difficult to track down. It arises from triggering (usually false) of the safety protection circuit. There is other information relating to this tv, which transistors and diodes to replace.

Then it says "Other readers, if you get mystery switch-offs check any sleep timer setting before suspecting that a fault is present"

I have the Philips 36PW9618. In case you don't have your manual handy, on the remote control press Menu, then with the right arrow (the dot on the right of OK) go from TV to Features. Then use the downward arrow to Sleeptimer. I have always kept mine on minimum 0.

I do hope for your sake it's something as simple as this. These televisions are wonderful when they work well but are not easy to cart to a repair shop! Good luck!

mo said:
hi,
how long did you have this tv when this started to happen ?

thanks

It went in for a repair after 14 months, which Philips did under waranty. The first fault was the TV coming in and out of focus. The repair agent eventually traced it to a transformer (quoting part no 310430821031).

The fault now occurred 7 weeks after I got the unit back - obviously I am now in discussions with Philips about who should pay - seems a coincidence to me that a repair is carried out and 7 weeks later another fault occurs!

Cynthia 7 said:
Hi njsinky, and welcome to the AV Forums.

In the April issue of "What Video & Widescreen TV" a reader has written to the Video Forum for help with his JVC TV. He says at random times (varying from once a week to every few minutes) it shuts down and the only way to get it going again is to switch it off and then on again at the front panel. The answer is that the fault can be very difficult to track down. It arises from triggering (usually false) of the safety protection circuit. There is other information relating to this tv, which transistors and diodes to replace.

Then it says "Other readers, if you get mystery switch-offs check any sleep timer setting before suspecting that a fault is present"

I have the Philips 36PW9618. In case you don't have your manual handy, on the remote control press Menu, then with the right arrow (the dot on the right of OK) go from TV to Features. Then use the downward arrow to Sleeptimer. I have always kept mine on minimum 0.

I do hope for your sake it's something as simple as this. These televisions are wonderful when they work well but are not easy to cart to a repair shop! Good luck!

Checked the timer and it is set at 0. Repair shop coming on saturday when I can give them a hand to lift it.
Thanks for the advice, it will be interesting to see what they track it down to, have a feeling that they will blame the tubes!!!

Gareth Gregory said:
An MG chassis if I remember correctly...... :confused: :)

You're describing a very common fault with this chassis, easily repairable for a half decent technician but it's highly unlikely they'd want to do the repair on site. Shouldn't cost a fortune, part(s) £20ish plus labour.

There's nothing you can do to repair the set yourself.

GG.

It went in for a repair after 14 months, which Philips did under waranty. The first fault was the TV coming in and out of focus. The repair agent eventually traced it to a transformer (quoting part no 310430821031).

The fault now occurred 7 weeks after I got the unit back - obviously I am now in discussions with Philips about who should pay - seems a coincidence to me that a repair is carried out and 7 weeks later another fault occurs!

Any thoughts on whether these faults seem related???

i dont think its the tube althou i may be wrong, soinds like the flyback transformer is just ' on its way '
i had a 32" widescreen CRT and i had the same sort of problem, not bad focus but the flyback went bust, paid £90 to get it fixed after 3 weeks then 3 months later it went again, so i slinged the damn thing in the bin and got my 1992 sony out and thorght i shudda just used that in the 1st place.. :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom