1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9617

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mikeyboy, Feb 12, 2003.

1. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a complete newcomer to the world of widescreen and 100HZ, can anyone give me some advice on setting up/configuring this set ?

I haven't got any fancy equipment, just a Sony NV305 DVD, a Panasonic Video and a standard SKY box.

The TV has 4 SCART sockets (2 RGB) which I'm currently using for the SKY & DVD - I'm using the 3rd socket (CVBS) for the video. Is there a better way ?

The main problem I've got is there's a great deal of 'shimmering' around the edges of moving objects. This is particularly prevelant when watching football, but also happens generally with both digital and analogue broadcasts - I'm also finding it on DVD, although not all the time. In most occasions the fancy 'Pixel Plus' option makes it worse.

Any ideas, experts ? :rolleyes: :suicide: :confused:

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The shimmering you describe when watching football is normal on this set. Try switching off or to minimum all processing options, including pixel plus.

4. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with leeoh.Set DNR to off,Active Control to off,Sharpness to off and use 100hz digital scan.I find that's the best picture possible on my 9527.Also remember to keep the picture set to personal,things like rich or natural have their own settings for things like DNR that you can't overide.I think you'll be happy once you get things set to what your eyes find agreeable,just don't expect too much of pixel+,it ain't what the mag reviews make it out to be!

5. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're certainly right there it ain't what the mags make it out to be :rolleyes: sadly though like pixel plus or not you're paying for it, may as well buy a regular Phillips 100Hz and save some cash. This is what I thought when I sent mine back, £1200 sod that.

6. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    leeoh,

Could you please detail who you bought the set from and the exact circumstances of your refund as I currently have a problem with a retailer that will not refund as Phillips and Endevaour both say it is not faulty. Pleae help.

7. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I bought my pixel plus set from C.F. Lake's which are an independent retailer in the Thames Valley. I had a demo in the shop and wasn't terribly impressed, but gave the set the benefit of the doubt on the basis of aerial feeds in stores are always less than perfect + the mags rave about pixel plus = will have a fanstatic picture at home on my aerial.

They are a very good retailer and I would highly recommend them as they will match other deals if asked e.g. John Lewis on the gurantee front. Plus crucially they have their own service guys and workshop and deliver and install FOC locally.

They delivered the TV, installed it, tuned it in, the picture appeared and yuk I was horrified. Tried turning off all the digital processing options including pixel plus but still overly processed picture. Faces didn't have natural skin tones, just solid colour. Tried the Mummy on DVD not impressed, motion judder, switched on pixel plus and got the black halo effect around peoples head as they moved across the screen. Total crap for £1200.

My girlfriend agreed it was an awful picture, she's Danish and we're used to B&O sets. I would have got a B&O 3000 but the price ahhh.

I asked the guys to take the set back, phoned the store with them explained I thought the picture was awful and not happy and they agreed to take it back there and then and give a full refund or go for another set. No fuss, no arguments. I got the refund as I wanted the Toshiba Strata 32ZD26P (paid <£1000 from John Lewis) as Lakes don't stock Toshiba. Incidentally the Toshiba is far superior picture wise.

My guess is since you've had your set some months now, you are deemed to have accepted it under law, especially has its been away for "repair" so no automatic refund.

If I was you I would contact your local council based trading standards officer and explain the history to them and see what advice they give.

Also I would also contact a solicitor immediately for a brief chat for advice what your rights are in this case. Most solictors will be happy to give this initial advice free to see if you have a case. Indeed the solictior will probably offer to write and send on your behalf a well worded letter setting out the case and your rights under law and whats expected to be done to avoid court action.

good luck.

8. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for these ideas - I'll give them a go. I've not decided if I'll return it if I can't get a result. I bought it online from Robertsons a month ago and their returns policy is only 7 days !!

I noticed something else last night which I thought I'd been imagining. I've been very happy with the sound quality but when I switch to a DVD the sound is considerably lower than what I was previously watching - obviously I up the volume but when I'm finished with the DVD and switch back to something else then that's well loud. The only DVD to TV connection is via SCART. Anyone else had this problem ?

9. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    You should be able to fix that problem with the delta volume setting. If my memory serves me correctly this can be found by pressing the install and the other button together. Can check later the exact button presses if need be.

10. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - I checked the delta volume and it was set in the middle for all channels, I bumped it to max on EXT 1 for the DVD and it's made a difference. Seems a bit strange to me that it was a problem though.

As far as the picture goes I've turned off DNR, Dyn Contrast, Auto Image etc. and set the digital option to 100HZ. I think it's improved the shimmering problem but to be honest I spend most of the time trying to spot the problem rather than paying attention to what I'm watching !! The real test will be all the live footy this weekend !

I have noticed that some SKY channels give a better picture quality than others - E4 and UK Gold 2 are particularly bad. I'd have thought they should all be the same?

11. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Mikey,

What you have just done by turning off Pixel Plus is wasted about £500 pounds of your money. You are now in possesion of a really soft picture that any Tv on the market could equal- better for a lot less money. Pixel Plus is only really any good for still images! Also you will find that with P+ you will exprience a stuttering picture as well. Although fair play my set does have faults recorded in the error buffer but phillips - my retailer will not refund my money because I went in the service menu and viewed the faults. This is despite the fact that 2 Phillips people viewed my set and said there was nothing wrong and did not even enter the service menu. I still think if you are lucky this set is capable of being satisfactory but it appears there as just too many bad examples.

12. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I could get a refund/replacement - any recommendations on a 100HZ that also provides excellent sound (pref with wireless rear speakers) ?

Ta.

13. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I could get a refund/replacement - any recommendations on a 100HZ that also provides excellent sound (pref with wireless rear speakers) ?

14. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting well confused with this now - switched P+ back on and am currently watcing The Mummy Returns on SKY. The picture is F*****g amazing, extremely 3D like - I can almost reach into the screen. I have noticed the 'shimmering' a couple of times - one of the guys I work with says this could be down to MPEG compression as it looks grainy with blocks around moving objects - could this be right and just something I have to live with ? Once I forget about the problem and sit a decent way from the screen (10 to 12 ft) I haven't noticed it. I doubt I'll have much luck getting it replaced/refunded so it looks like I'll have to switch to 100HZ when it becomes too much of a pain (and for all sports !!).

I've got the stanard GRUNDIG digibox give away free when I moved to SKY digital - should I be thinking of a higher quality one now - any recommendations ?

Also. do SKY mess about with the bandwith for particular channels at all. Some of the others are pants now !!

15. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :clap: :D You can see what I can see!!!

Your friend is 100% right, this is a problme with MPEG compression and the Philips Digital Natural Motion System finds this hard to cope with.

The standard digibox is fine and quality will not change with another one unless yours is faulty. Signal Quality does affect aretefacts etc. so it's worth checking your dish is "Spot On"

Sky (service provider) don't but each channel is free to pay for as much or a little bandwidth as it sees fit (even varies from programme to programme), leading to very poor quality, low bitrate output sometimes! :(

Hope that you can enjoy the TV now :hiya: