1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32pw9617

Discussion in 'TVs' started by elviobarros, Jun 30, 2002.

1. elviobarros

elviobarros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered my 9617 p+ tv from john lewis for £1300.00 on a price match.

Firstly:-

1. Is this a good price to pay considering it comes with a five year warranty?

2. I would like to try and tweak it when it arrives, does anyone know how to get into the service menu and can you really f^$" it up if you fiddle with it too much. In other words , "do you recommend it" some feedback would be great.

Cheers in advance Elvio, London.:)

2. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I just picked up a 28" 9616 from a Dabs auction for 701 quid.

I think your Tv is basically the same but has a slightly different facia and uses the new smart pixel technology (with is supposed to be visuall excellent). Also the extra 4" of screen width.

If the above is right your getting an excellent TV, although as I paid 701 for a brand new 28, I wouldnt (or couldnt)pay 600 pound more for a 32" with a 15% better picture.

use some of the search engines to find the right price.

I love the 4 scarts by the way, cant get the digital going yet until I get my digital phono cable though.

3. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My 36 " 9607 is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Paid £2000 for a package with it and a Phillips dvd rewriter from Comet. Only one year warranty, but a good price I thought.

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    philps dvd writer................ oh baby that is da bomb

5. markc

markc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid £1399 from Jones of Oakwood (Leeds) This included 5 year warranty delivery and installation.

6. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well considering I paid £1195 from John Lewis a month ago for a 28PW9617 I'd say that was a very good deal.

The bad news is that JL's repairers came to take it away on Saturday to see if anything can be done to improve the geometry on the screen. The black borders in 4:3 and 14:9 mode were pulling outwards by about an inch at the top when displaying bright pictures. If they can't improve it then I guess I'll be looking to get it replaced with another.

I've been in to the service menu just to note down the settings so I can tell what if anything the repairers have done when it comes back.

Do a search through this forum for "phillips service menu" and you should come across the relevant posts

Matchline Service Mode

7. mc42

mc42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robert Whyte sells the 32PW9617 for £1079. I only found this out after paying over the odds for mine.
    www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    1. Yup, pretty good, I got mine £1270 from JL also pricematch

2. Check out this page , I have set up my TV with pretty good geometry now... I didn't touch the other settings! (A Good tip is to write down ALL the original values as you go along, that way you can't eff things up too much ;) )

9. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I had come across that page and used it to get into the service mode to note down the existing values.

I did almost consider playing with the values myself to correct the problem, but whilst that web page documents the settings its not particularly clear what the effect of changing each one has on the actual picture.

How did you improve the geometry? Trial and error? Or did you manage to make more sense of that web page than I did?

10. elviobarros

elviobarros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robert Whyte sell it for £1079 but that is without stand (add about £120 on top) and delivery (add 30 odd pounds more) and a one year warranty so i think they just pull the wool over your eyes with the basic price and then suprise you when you get a TV with no stand!

11. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Certainly they do their best to appear to have the lowest price, but to be fair even I noticed they didn't come with a stand and the extra delivery price.