1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9617 - What Scart Leads?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by swilks, Aug 14, 2002.

1. swilks

swilks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I start, I'm totally new to all this sort of stuff so feel free to explain in as much detail as you want!

A week ago I received my Philips 32PW9617 from Comet Direct but with no stand :mad: but a saving of £320 over their store price :) The stand arrives on Saturday so I was after some advice on what cables to buy to connect all the equipment together.

I have a Panasonic NV-HD625 video recorder and a Panasonic TU-DSB30 Sky digibox. Both have two scart sockets and both the manuals talk about the sockets being RGB.

I've read the manual for the 32PW9617 and this seems to recommend using EXT1 for a DVD player as this has the additional output for Dolby Digital. Does it matter which other EXT sockets I use for the video or digibox?

Is it worth getting quality scart cables to connect the Video <-> TV, Video <-> Digibox and Digibox <-> TV or doesn't it matter for some of the connections? I got the standard scart cable when the digibox was installed so I don't know whether it's worth replacing that or using that in one of the connections.

I've read on the forum that the IXOS 126AV or 141AV are the scart cables to go for. I take it that these cables are fully wired and are suitable for RGB? Is there any difference between them apart from one is flat? The cheapest price I've found for them so far is £34.99.

Finally, I also read on here that "rct" replaced the cable connecting the two rear speakers with some Gale XL189. Is the cable supplied that bad and would I honestly be able to hear the difference with this Gale cable?

Sorry for all the questions but it's the first time I've had a bit of kit that is "the best" at the time I've got it and I want to get the most out of it.

Thanks,

Simon.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    1. Use RGB capable AV for digibox, and change digibox to RGB.
    2. Personally, I have Ixos and QED Sqarts, either slightly improved the EPG display, but if choosing again I wouldn't say I would bother replacing a standard fully screened scart, which I am guessing is what you have. Try an Ixos or QED on a sale or return basis yourself, see what you think.
    3. Try this yourself too, I would say no audible benefit likely, but for £1 or £2 why not......

3. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Think with cables you can end up convincing yourself that more is better ;-)

having said that *most* supplied cables can be improved upon with better ones, and the 'bell-wire' that comes with most extension speakers is a good and cheap place to start ... but don't spend more than 1.50 per meter ...

with regard to scart cables - the ixos and qed are both recommended by lots of people ... I chose to save approx £100 and got some recommended cables from cpc (www.cpc.co.uk) ... they are ofc, fully screened, and cost less than a tenner ... when I've put them back to back with more esoteric cables on a 'mate test' they've been hard pushed to tell the difference ...

for what its worth ...

4. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful with the IXOS scart (126 I think) which has the cable coming off at about 45 degrees to the plug, with a large knurled nut securing the cable to the plug. When you try to plug two of these into EC1 and 2 of the 9617 there is an interference fit caused by the nut. I had to use 1 and 3 to avoid this. 3 does not support RGB, fortunately I have only one RGB-output device.
    Bad design on the part of Philips, putting these scart inputs so close together. You could get round this by using the flat type of cable sold by IXOS which has a straight entry of the cable into the plug. Or indeed another make which does not have such a heavyweight plug.
    Other than that the IXOS scarts are very well made and perform excellently. I noticed an immediate improvement in the picture when changing from a cheapo cable.

5. swilks

swilks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice so far. I've just about convinced myself that the Ixos 141AV flat scarts are the ones to buy. Richer Sounds offer a 14 day money back guarantee on all their interconnect cables and speaker cable if you're not satisfied so I can always buy and try from there.

Thanks LP for the info about the scarts on the 9617 and the 126AV. I'd seen the picture of the 126AV and wondered if that huge connector on it would cause a problem.

One other thing I've just remembered, as I haven't been in the box yet, do the two rear speakers for the 9617 come with stands or do I need to buy some? If I do need to buy some, can anyone recommend some?

Thanks,

Simon.

6. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding speaker stands, Ikea have some cool stands, only cost £15, look the part and fit the speakers for my 9607 (I believe they are the same speakers as the 9617).

One good thing is you can feed the wire down the centre of the stand so you can't see any wiring, nice and neat!

This is a link to a picture with them....
    http://www.ikea.com/rooms_ideas/livingroom/livingroom_entertainment.asp?page=4

Regards

Beavis.

7. swilks

swilks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw those stands in Ikea the other week and thought that idea with the wire was good. I didn't know whether they would be any good or whether you had to buy some specific stand to fit the speakers.

Thanks Beavis!

8. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used the IKEA stands (90cm high, cost 19 Pounds) for my 9617 rear speakers. Stands could have been made specially for these speakers as they fit so well. Mount the speakers using double sided sticky pads......BUT remember to set the radio transmission channel (1 thru 5) correctly before mounting the active speaker as the switch is covered by the stand once mounted.
    Passing the speaker cable up thru the stand is only practical using the thread-like cable supplied by Philips, anything thicker (mains wire in my case) cannot go thru these stands. In any event the active speaker has a mains lead that cannot go thru the stand. For both stands I simply fixed the cable and mains lead with plastic cable ties from B&Q.
    If you can live with the minor problem of the cable showing these are excellent stands for the speakers supplied with the 9617.