Philips 32PW9617 / Sky Digital

GJD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just set up my new Philips 32PW9617. Very happy with it. Awesome DVD playback.One question for any other owners (or of recent model Philips TV's generally I guess). The onscreen information display seems to register the audio from all other inputs except Sky (when watching regular TV it recognises Nicam when analog BBC, ITV etc is selected, when watching DVD recognises Dolby Digital, when PS2 is switched on it recognizes stereo). Does this mean my Sky box (connected via RGB SCART to AV2, although possibly distorted with by the fact that my regular TV aerial is daisy chained through my VCR and Sky box to the TV so that I can pick up regular channels as well as Sky upstairs via the magic eye??) is not being picked up in Stereo (it sounds OK, but the TV is set to Autosurround which seems to spread the sound signal anyway), or does the steroe/prolgic audio on Sky via Scart work OK but just not get recognised by the Philips TV's onscreen info as stereo when selected?

Greg

Don't worry, it is in stereo as long as it's selected in the digibox "Services>Sound" menu. The reason nothing is displayed is because the sound is transmitted as normal L & R channels and isn't encoded. I leave the sound on Pro Logic mode as a lot of TV is broadcast in Dolby Prologic even if it doesn't say so!.

Just noticed that you say it says stereo for your PS2... as I'm not near my TV right now (same as yours) I can't check this for sure... make sure that your SCARTS are firmly connected, also try watching something like MTV (it's easy to tell if music isn't in stereo).

Thanks rct!

Played around with my set some more (and checked my connections) last night. I've noticed that the TV doesn't recognise stereo sound in the onscreen display from the VCR either. Sounds OK though..cranked Star Wars up and it sounded fine. Again do you think this is because VCR stereo is not encoded in the same way as Nicam or Dolby Digital which the TV seems to recognise OK in the onscreen menus? Does your 32pw9617 not recognise stereo audio onscreen from the VCR either (but sound OK)?

I've also noticed that when I originally rigged it altogether I just daisy chained the analog tv aerial through the VCR. when watching tv through the vcr input the set recognised the sound as Nicam. I then rerigged the analog aerial through the Sky box too (so I could watch terrestrial on the tv upstairs through the magiceye). Works OK but the tv downstairs no longer recognises the analog TV input as Nicam through when watched through the video channel. Pedantic I know but it looks like the digibox takes some info away in the daisy-chaining process..

Greg

Can anyone else clarify this point for me? there must be some more Pixel Plus owners on here!

Any help much appreciated!!

Greg

I cannot help but note that on my daisy chained system - tv aerial-skybox-vcr1-vcr2-32PW9617 and with scarts from skybox to input 1 rgb, scart from skybox to vcr1, scart from vcr1 to vcr2 and scart from vcr2 to 32PW9617 input 3; input 1 sometimes says rgb and sometimes cvbs. There is no noticeable difference but what if anything am I doing wrong.
Regards

cheers wiggy. My system sounds similar but my tv aerial passes through the vcr then through the sky box before it reaches the tv (and not the other way around). Your rgb issue may be because SCART is not set to on in your Digibox menu, or from a thread I've read on here using the sky remote to change tv volume / channel may cause the set to drop out of rgb mode.

Do you get any info on audio onscreen as well as the type of picture the tv is receiving? I do for Nicam on analog BBC1 / 2 etc but not when watching videos, sky channels or analog or Sky channels through the VCR channel. Not sue if this is normal...

Originally posted by wiggy
input 1 sometimes says rgb and sometimes cvbs.

By any chance are you using your Sky remote to control the TV? If so when you press "TV" on the remote (with the digibox in view), the digibox output changes to CVBS. When Sky is pressed (again with the digibox in view) the digibox will switch back to sky.

Alternatively have you checked your SCART connections are nice and tight?

Cheers rct

I've got a feeling this might be what's causing wiggy's problem with rgb disappearing. Do you have the same lack of onscreen display of audio format via sky and vcr as I do?

I can't check this for you at the mo GJD as I won't be back home until the weekend at the earliest... as soon as I check, I'll let you know.

Sorry I took so long GJD, but only got back home last Saturday night :rolleyes: Trip took much longer than expected. To confirm, I don't get sound format display with Sky or VCR either... must just be a TV "quirk".... the sound is definitely in stereo though (I can tell when it isn't ;) )

Have a great Christmas!

:)

Many thanks for that rct. You have a great Christmas too!

Greg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom