Philips 32PW9617 or Toshiba 32ZT29..help me decide

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by GJD, Sep 23, 2002.

1. GJD

GJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Title of this thread says it all. I've just registered on these here very useful) pages and searched all the old threads on the above. Some of the ins and outs of the above sets spec went right over my head, though.

I'll be using the set to watch mostly region 2 DVD's on a multi-region Philips DVD 723 or Q40, or Tosh SD220, depending on which set I go for (plus PAL games on a UK PS2 & TV via Sky Digibox), so the NTSC prog scan on the Tosh seems neither here nor there to me. I've a small lounge with a roaming toddler so plan on using the set's own Dolby Digital speakers without adding any more boxes. This being the case which set will best meet my needs do you think?

Which has the best UK TV / PAL DVD playback picture quality?

Think I'm wavering towards the Philips as I've swallowed the Pixelplus hype but the closed stand of the Tosh is pretty nice (and kiddie friendly!).

Any help / opinions would be much appreciated.. Whatever I go for I'll try and go via the John Lewis price match route I reckon.

Greg

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know this is going to get on Tosh-Lovers nerves a bit but for sheer jaw-dropping pics with DVDs Pixel+ is the way to go.... well it works for me anyhow! Also the 9617 has no wire between the speakers and tele... two less cables to hide from the little one!

If you're concerned about the stand you could always but the TV without it and buy a closed cabinet separately althought the supplied open stand does look very nice!

Whichever way you, go good luck with it. :)

3. GJD

GJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for that. I'm probably set on the Philips..will do some digging to try and find a cabinet with locking doors. AV furniture seems hideously expensive though!

Greg