1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32pw9617 - omission

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Reefman, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Reefman

Reefman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I really impressed with my set picture sound features etc but for such a high spec tv I find it annoying that philips have put a graphic or range indicator on the volume control

or have I missed something and can you switch this feature on from a menu somewhere

*edit that should read '...have not.....'

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know it's a little irritating, but you can see the volume level if you go into the sound menu. Not ideal I know, but at least that's there!

3. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you mean they have NOT provided a volume graphic when adjusting volume using the remote. I find that infuriating also, more so since they have provided one when you adjust the volume using the set-top controls.
    I have not found any way to alter this setting. Along with the 4 SCARTS placed too close together this spoils an otherwise great set.

4. Reefman

Reefman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the correction - I hadn't realised there was one if you use the set top control - not that thats a great help.

Cheers

5. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a 9527 and i can turn the display on or off on the osd setting in the setup menu(i think its setup could be general).
    It also provides channel informattion screen format and sound format when changing channels. Can you not do this on a 9617? They are nearly the same spec minus 5.1 and an extra scart.

6. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    On my 9527, I get the volume graphic with the OSD set to normal - but then have a continuous display of the channel number/input in the top left hand corner. Is there a way to have the volume graphic without having a permanent reminder of what channel I'm on?

7. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that you can only have the volume bar with the constant display of channel no. A tad annoying that you cant have one without the other. There should be an in between option ie. min,normal,max. But hey you cant have everything.

Incidentally does anyone get bad blocking/blurring on terrestial tv with pixel plus on, also a slight bend at the top of the screen when zoom is on. Dig. scan seems to get rid of the blurring at the expense of some definition.
    Havent tried sat feed yet as dish isnt installed, could it just be the poor quality of terrestial broadcasts proving too much for the poor proccessors to handle?

8. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the 9617 there does not seem to be an option for turning the volume graphic on. On the setup menu you can only turn the station name display on/off via the "Information Line" option, but this has no effect on the volume graphic. I am going to email Philips on this.

9. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's an intentional design feature though....

It's to avoid having the home-cinema experience spoiled with a naff volume bar everytime you want to make an aural adjustment. I for one applaud it! (I realise I'm probably alone on that one).

Look, if for instance you were using the in-built DD decoder and demoing the set-up to friends, the familiar trick of cranking-up the sound at an impressive moment would be cheapened if a screen graphic was there to cause distraction (don't you think?). I know that some forum members (though possibly on other forums!) have made remarks like "Classy touches like that make all the difference"...

In fairness, I was similarly sceptical when I got my first Philips set (a 6005). BUT, I got used to it in the end and I found the forced inclusion of volume data on the screen a real pain on subsequent TV's. Obviously I chose to return to a Philips (the 28PW9617 in my case) for much more important reasons than the volume display, but I have to say I'm relieved to have my screen un-obscured again.

10. Reefman

Reefman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've never demoed the set and probably won't, I bought it to watch not to act as a Philips sales rep, fine if you want to use it as a gimmick by playing with the volume to shock/impress friends (personally I think the set does that itself without cheap tricks with the volume control) but each to their own. So why not provid the option of a volume bar or number which can be there for the benefit of most of us who use the set normally and switched off for those who find it frustrating.

11. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll tell you what's most annoying, I have a 36" 9607 and bought a Philips VCR to match. There is no display when playing/forwarding/rewinding on the VCR LCD unless you have it displayed on your tv, very annoying!

12. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was only an example though. I have many different types of hardware plugged into my set, all of which have different volume defaults. As such, I have to alter the volume levels several times every day and it would really annoy me having to wait for the display to disappear every time... The levels are wildly different for each of the channels on my cable box too (VH1 is deafening!), so if you had your way, I'd basically be looking at a volume bar all day long.

I bought it to watch not to act as a Philips sales rep, fine if you want to use it as a gimmick by playing with the volume to shock/impress friends (personally I think the set does that itself without cheap tricks with the volume control).

But if you honestly bought it to 'watch' it, surely you'd prefer to see ALL of the screen?!. I don't see why you need a visual representation of the audio anyway- why can't you judge the appropriate level with your ears?. If it seems loud, turn it down. If it seems quiet, turn it up. The green light next to the on-switch flickers to indicate that the remote is working (as you press + or -) so why do you want part of the screen to be masked unnecessarily?.

As you say, they could have included an ON/OFF option to please everyone, but with a top-of-the-range effort like this I think Philips are justified in tailoring the O/S to Home Cinema tastes.

13. Reefman

Reefman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats my point if there was an indicator then you set the volume to the desired level before sitting down to enyoy the dvd/prog etc after the bars dissapeared - no problem

14. defiant11

defiant11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... The levels are wildly different for each of the channels on my cable box too (VH1 is deafening!), so if you had your way, I'd basically be looking at a volume bar all day long.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see where you are all coming from with the volume bar thing. I had one on my previous tv and it is annoying in the fact that it stays on for a few seconds after changing it which seems like an eternaty but at the same time I only swith my 5.1 system on when I have people round or watch a DVD and I then have to turn the tv volume off. As you cant see when it is right down you just keep pushing or holding the button till all sound has dissapeared but it would be easier in this scenario to just see the bar breifly.
    I guess the ideal solution would be if the volume bar dissapeared as soon as you stopped pushing the button or else use the mute button-but I have noticed that this leaves a mute text at the top left of your screen.....
    Oh well, guess we will just have to make the best of it.....

Carl

15. markc

markc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This appears to me that people set the volume level with there eyes and not there ears!

16. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Some people also like to use their ears :p

17. markc

markc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And how do you spell channel? People in glass houses.......

18. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :clown: come on... I was only teasing (the grammar rather than the spelling)

Friends? :)

19. markc

markc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry crap day at work!