1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9617 Image and Hum issue

Discussion in 'TVs' started by saxon747, Aug 19, 2002.

1. saxon747

saxon747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I just bought the Philip's 32PW9617 ... I'm posting this question to check whether anyone has seen any problems with the TV's tube.

I've a green patch on the top right and bottom right hand side of the TV's Tube ... it's very noticable when u go to a blank screen that is blue, u see the patch clearly then ... is this normal ?

Also, at low volumes where u are watching the news or low noise program I can hear the TV hum ... it's not from the speakers ... the hum is present no matter if I use the TV tuner, DVD or VHS ... it only changes frequency very briefly when u change channels .... but the hum is always there ... again is this normal ?

I'm a wee bit annoyed after spending a lot of money on this TV ... the store tells me this hum is normal, but as for the tube patch they are not sure.

Any info appreciated

rgrds

2. swilks

swilks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Set my 32PW9617 up on Saturday. I've no hum from mine (not that I've noticed anyway) and I can't say I've any green patches either! If you say these patches are really noticable on a blue background then I'm sure I would have noticed them as most of the menus on Sky are blue.

I have other issues I haven't worked out yet but that's another thread!

Sorry!

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    What you describe is NOT normal. Insist they fix it or swap the set.

4. saxon747

saxon747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've just been in touch with Philips and they say that the off colour shading I'm seeing is not normal and the TV should be replaced.

I'm curious to know is it normal for large screen TV's to hum during normal operation ... surely with the high spec TV's (good compenttents used )the high and low voltage power supplies should not be making any noise ... the hum is not very noisey but during quite area's in a movie or TV program u can clearly hear the hum ... if u put ur ear up to TV u can hear it coming from the back of the TV ... it takes from the whole experience of the TV.

I had the Sony KV-32LS60 and it made a humming noise also (not as loud as the Philips) ... it's real annoying ... I can't tell in the stores becuase u have a store full of TV's ... I upgraded from the Sony to the Philips and not sure if this humming is inherent on large screen TV's .... can someone clarify this for me before I go off my head with humming noises ... I feel like throwing the TV back and getting my money back ... replacing same with a 28 inch or something.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I havn't got my 9607 yet.. But, I am prepared for a hum of some kind.

I have so far had a 36" Panasonic and MANY 36" Sony FS70s and they all hummed.

My friend has a 36" Toshiba, which he said was silent.. But in a quiet room, could hear it buzzing..

I think that its a side effect of the large componants/voltages used in large screen CRT TVs.

I would be really happy if the Philips doesn't hum, but I am expecting that it will!

6. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some low electrical hum is normal but green areas of the screen is not....

7. jubbleys

jubbleys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i knew i was not hte only one. My 32ls60 hums as well i've been to every store in my town that sells this and i heard it on all of them. Thanks for the info at least i know im not mad.

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    All I can say is I have had my 9607 for a couple of months now and it hasn't hummed once.

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Philip.. I really hope you are right.. I am expecting a degree of hum from my new 9607... If really thought the 9607 was totally silent, I would have bought one months ago, as its the thing that annoys me most about my Sony.

What you say "doesn't hum" what about if you were in a totally silent room, late at night with the volume down.

Don't you get some noise (Hum probably is the wrong word)..

I was under the impression that this was caused by the scan coils and is normal for all TVs of this size.

10. saxon747

saxon747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Thanks for the responses ... from what I have gathered online and from other review forums ... it appears some humming is normal no matter what make of TV ... this is my first wide screen TV so I'm going on my first impression

I think where the confusion comes from, for me anyway ... I believe what I read in reviews when people say they haven't a hum ... but I'm sure they most have if the room was quite and they were listening to low level audio programs where it becomes very apperent ... I'm guessing my electric mains is ok, as I have a few other electrical audio devices that don't hum.

It's not that I am being picky ( I don't have super human hearing) but I can hear the hum and it's bloody well annoying after paying such money ... after all how can there be such a wide and varried response in forums to humming and buzzing on TV's from different vendors ... in my case the noise coming from the TV and not the speakers.

Rgrds

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Do you find that the 'hum' changes tone depending whats on screen.

You should find that if you have a very bright area (i.e white) it will make a different noise.

Certainly, my Sony is not audible in 'normal' conditions.. But, when it gets late and the volume comes down, its more than noticable.

All I can say is live with it... If its especially bad, it could be down to a loose coil/transformer, and this can be fixed (I think that they just cover the offending componant with 'hot glue').. But if its within "normal" levels, then there is no fix or solution.

You do get used to it.. But I agree.. After spending that kind of money, its shouldn't be too much to expect a totally silent TV.

12. saxon747

saxon747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon,

I'll check that tonite on my return ... I just notice a change in tone with the hum for a brief instant when changing channels .... then it reverts back to the normal hum.

Again, the hum is noticeable at low volumes when there is not much sound or audio from whatever program I am watching ... and I can't but not hear it ... I tried to ignore it but it's not working, maybe a mental thing with me ;-)

From what people are saying I'll just have to put up with it ... I don't know how TV engineers describe and determine what is normal noise operational level on a TV .... but I don't wanna have to increase the volume just to defeat the hum during low level audio TV programs ... I'd rather go with a smaller TV screen size and not have the hum ... just my 2 cents.

Ta again to the forum

13. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Its 11.05 pm and all is quiet. I've just turned the volume right down and the 9607 is as silent as the grave.

Honestly, no hum at all.

If the noise you can hear changes according to the picture it may be due to poor tuning. On analogue broadcasts try fine tuning the signal. Watching digital my set only makes the noises its supposed to.

14. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a 32PW9617 last month and I've noticed a hum from the speakers but not from the TV itself. Most of these posts refer to the 9607 so maybe that doesnt hum and the 9617 does? To be honest, I have the volume up so high most of the time that its only between channels or ads that its silent and I dont hear any hum from the speakers. Not sure about the green areas you're experiencing but I have a dark bottom right hand corner which is noticeable on any broadcast but I've decided I couldnt be arsed bringing the TV back at the this stage. I've almost gotten used to it now anyway. Bye the way saxon747, I'm from the same city as you. Where did you buy your TV?

15. saxon747

saxon747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Follow up from last week .... I got the TV replaced over the weekend ... same low level hum from the TV during quite programs that have low audio levels.

When I switch the TV to one of the external inputs (where you get the blue screen ) .... the colour is not the same through out the TV tube .... slight green/red shading on the lower and top right hand edges of the tube.

Has anyone seen the above before ?

I got the TV in DID, Dublin Ireland.

rgrds

16. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my 9607 for about 3 - 4 months now - mine doesnt hum at all either :)

Spike

17. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    I have my 9607 now.. I have to agree, compaired to the Sony, its silent.

However, if you go around the back, in a TOTALLY silent enviroment, you can still hear the scan coils whining/buzzing, very slightly.