1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32pw9617 - help !

Discussion in 'TVs' started by N-P, Apr 30, 2002.

1. N-P

N-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help guys !

Having read various articles about the "blur" effect that you get when watching fast action movies and sports on 100Hz TVs, I checked out the 9617 in Comet before deciding to buy, and was happy with what I saw.
    However, having purchased this TV (not from Comet), this blur or trail effect is now very noticeable when watching football, snooker, etc
    Before I contact Philips on this, has anybody got any ideas on why this might be? Has anyone else bought this TV and experienced the same problem?
    Also, has anyone purchased this TV or seen it with a Philips rather than a Panasonic tube in, and if so, how can you tell the difference? I looked at the back of the frame on mine, but all that I could see was a sticker with 32PW9617 on, which I'm assuming is the frame rather than the tube identifier ??

N-P

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The funny smearing tends to occur if the DNR is maxed out. Try setting the DNR to minimum or medium, especially if Active Control is off. One of the features of Active Control is an analysis of the noise present in the signal itself, letting the TV adapt the DNR from none up to the strength you chose for it. If Active Control is off, the DNR gets very heavy.

As far as the tube is concerned, from what I heard recently from a reliable source within Philips, all tubes in the 32" 9617 are from Panasonic. According to him, they are not mixed randomly.

There 'big' difference between the Cybertube and the Panasonic tube is that the Panasonic tube has quite a bit of curvature. The Cybertube is flatter. The other flaws of the Panasonic tubes such as dark corners, purity and uniformity errors are random although they do seem to occur with an alarming frequency.

The big deal when it comes to the 32PW9617 is that Philips claimed they would put a high-resolution tube in, but the Panasonic seems to be a regular tube, also used in the 32PW9616/**M. I have yet to find out if it is indeed so, which would take finding out the code on the tube. The Panasonic tube seems to be a slight bit sharper than the old Cybertube, but the Cybertube HD should be sharper than the Panasonic tube and optically flat. Hence the outrage.

If you don't feel the tube is bad, just sit back and enjoy it. It seems we might not see Cybertube HD's in the 32PW9617 for quite a while.

3. arifn1

arifn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - Noticed a blur on the ball when I was watching last nights entertainment (seeing United get knocked out...) I went into menu and changed the pixel plus to 100hz digital scan and that got rid of it without any noticable deterioration in picture sharpness - with the long wide shots in football games pixel plus makes little difference anyway I imagine. Haven't watched the snooker...

My theory is regarding the tubes - as Zacabeb knows - is that Philips have only installed cybertubes in the 28 inch models (like mine) and the 32 and 36 inch flavours have Panny tubes.

4. arifn1

arifn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...oh yeah, I identified mine as a cybertube by using a torch to look down the vents on the right hand side of the BACK of the tele. That is right hand side as you are looking at the screen from the front (and therefore left hand side if you are round the back looking at the vents) Through the vents you should see a large sticker which will say "LG. Philips Display" on it. Zacabeb says that it will have a sticker over it to obscure this if it has a Panny tube. On my tele there is another sticker visable through the vents on the other side so make sure you have a good look all over with your torch until sou have see everything hand found the the right CRT identification sticker. Good luck.
    Also look for earlier posts on the white dots either side of the screen when it is on.

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't know if they obscure the sticker on the 9617 - they may or may not. The 32" 9616's with Panasonic tubes did not have their stickers obscured, but the various 36" models did.

It might be worth mentioning that the 36" Panasonic tube has had a special label design with a tiny Panasonic logo in the upper left corner. The 32" ones have a modernized label where the logo is printed along the top, but above it is a removable service tag with the MDDG or Panasonic logo, and the type number of the tube.

If Philips wanted to obscure the logos, they'd have to put the chassis sticker so it overlaps both the tube sticker and its service tag. This would upset service engineers as they want the tag in case of having to replace the tube. That is probably why they didn't pull that stunt on the 32" 9616, so I don't think they do on the 32" 9617 either.

If MDDG still use the special label design on their 36" tubes, I assume Philips will carry on overlapping the tube stickers with their chassis stickers.

6. mahood

mahood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 32pw9617...
    It definitevely has a pana tube, and the panasonic logo was hidden under the philips' chassis sticker.
    I must say that I didn't appreciate much having to remove a sticker to discover whether I bought a panasonic or a philips. Neither I appreciated not to have the "new high-resolution" tube the guy at the shop promised me.
    Apart from that, however, I'm quite satisfied with the set. The P+ technology does not require a different tube to give its benefits, and the pana one has not the flaws that sometimes have been reported in this forum.

7. mahood

mahood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 32pw9617...
    It definitevely has a pana tube, and the panasonic logo was hidden under the philips' chassis sticker.
    I must say that I didn't appreciate much having to remove a sticker to discover whether I bought a panasonic or a philips. Neither I appreciated not to have the "new high-resolution" tube the guy at the shop promised me.
    Apart from that, however, I'm quite satisfied with the set. The P+ technology does not require a different tube to give its benefits, and the pana one has not the flaws that sometimes have been reported in this forum.