1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9617 - Geometry, Setup or Me?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by swilks, Aug 19, 2002.

1. swilks

swilks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the stand delivered on Saturday and set-up the TV. At the moment I can't see what all the fuss is about with Pixel Plus. OK it does make the image slightly more sharp but not by much. After reading all the rave reviews about it I was a bit disappointed. Maybe it's the Plasma screens I saw in a shop the previous week that got me expecting too much???? I'm going to try the brightness/contract/sharpness etc... settings recommended in another thread and we'll see if that improves things.

One thing I've found which I haven't figured out yet is how to make the picture settings (Automatic, Widescreen, 16:9 etc.....) stay set once you've set them.

The football on Saturday night on Sky had the top and bottom 1" of the picture missing as it was using "Automatic" and "filling the screen". Well either Philips definition of "filling the screen" is slightly different to mine or there is something wrong here.

When the football on ITV was on later on Saturday, the team names and scores again were missing at the top and left until I switched the mode to "Widescreen" when everything looked great. Problem is, when you switch channels and switch back, it's back at "Automatic" again and the scores are missing. Even if you switch off "Automatic" in the menu and set it and switch channels it still doesn't revert back to what you had before.

Strangely, the football on Sky on Sunday afternoon had it on "Widescreen" and you could switch channels as much as you wanted and it still be "Widescreen" when you came back!

Is this a problem with the signal being sent by the TV channel, they way I have the TV set-up, the geometry of the TV set, or just a "feature" of the TV set?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Simon.

2. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have the same TV and the same issue.

"Automatic" cannot be turned off (despite the menu option) and the TV will always default back to "Automatic" after going into standby. Once you have "chosen" the widescreen option the TV will stay in widescreen mode until going into standby. But if the TV makes the change to widescreen (as instructed by the incoming signal) it will return to Automatic as soon as you change to a channel without the widescreen signal instruction.

Personally I watch everything in widescreen (whatever the signal) by forcing the TV into widescreen mode when I first take it out of standby.

As for Pixel Plus: turn the Sharpness right down, get the balance right on Contrast and Brightness and pop in your favourite DVD or watch a sports game played on grass - the difference really is quite impressive....but has almost certainly been over-hyped as well. Even so, you won't find a clearer picture on any other CRT for some time until someone invents a Pixel Plus killer.

3. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Have you tried it with a recent DVD disc connected via a reasonable quality Scart yet?

I must admit the hype can be a little excessive, but with the right source the Philips can produce a stunning image. On a slightly noisy terrestrial image or an older DVD I was hard pushed to notice any difference. On Sky Digital the results depended on the channel and also the material.

I haven't got my Philips any more, but that's another story. Hopefully rct will be along in a minute to solve your widescreen switching issues

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :D Here I am... have a look at this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43868

I do realise that this doesn't tell you how to leav it in 16:9 mode constantly... why anyone would want to do this is beyond me! The TV keeps switching back to Auto as it is receivng switching signals... to stop this happening one thing to try would be to turn off SCART control on a Sky digibox for terrestrial I really don't know...

Zacabeb??

Good luck anyway:)

5. swilks

swilks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've probably criticised the 9617 unfairly as it was on last night when I got home from work and the picture was very clear. I've also altered the sharpness etc... settings to those recommended by several people on here.

I don't have a DVD player so can't check that option out but I would certainly expect the image to be better from a DVD.

I don't particularly want to leave it in one mode all the time, just that once I'd selected a mode because the picture didn't fit, it would stay there for that channel until I changed it. Daft probably thinking about it but I would have thought that a channel as established as ITV would be sending the correct signals. I take it that seeing as though the picture was off the top and bottom of the screen, ITV were sending no switching signal at all.

Thanks all,

Simon.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To get true Widescreen broadcasts on any TV in this country, you have to have a digital source, ie free DTT through aerial or Sky/cable etc.

Providing that you have that, you then need to make sure you set your box to 16:9 widescreen mode, otherwise it will think you have a 4:3 TV, so wont send out any signals for your TV to change to widescreen mode.

You can't get full widescreen broadcasts on analogue TV.

If you have Sky Digital, to change the mode to 16:9, goto 'services' press 4 for picture settings, and change the top entry by pressing the right arrow to 16:9 if it isn't already, then scroll down to 'Save settings' at the bottom. You may also change from PAL to RGB mode in that same menu too, as it provides a better quality picture on most TV's, although some look worse with it on, try it. When you've saved the settings press the Sky button, and providing you have your digital box connected to your TV using a Scart lead and have your TV on AV1 etc (which if you haven't you wont be getting stereo sound) your TV should switch correctly.

It's slightly different to change modes on other digital boxes, but on all of them it's accessed somewhere by a settings option, either in the guide or a different menu.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In addition to above:
    If you are missing say the very top line of BBC News 24, press the two installation buttons on remote, set "auto-format" default to "off". This will ensure all of the widescreen picture is visible, when using a widescreen signal from a digital Sky or FTA box....aspect ratio 16:9, not using a zoom mode.