1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32pw9617/9527/8717 - Please Help

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by drummerboy, Oct 2, 2002.

1. drummerboy

drummerboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ANY OF YOU GUYS/GALS OUT THERE WITH ONE OF THESE SETS, IF SO, DO YOU HAVE ANY NTSC DVD PLAYBACK PROBLEMS.
    I.E. THIN RAINBOW LIKE HORIZONTAL LINE AT VERY TOP OF SCREEN.
    I'M HAVING THIS PROBLEM ON A 32PW8717 HAD 2 SETS NOW) AND WONDERED IF EITHER OF THE OTHER TWO SETS SUFFER FROM THIS PROBLEM.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE, FOR ANYONE TAKING THE TIME TO REPLY.

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 32PW9617 and there is no "line" of any sort on my set when viewing NTSC material.

btw: CAPS LOCK STUCK?? :D

3. DyManiX

DyManiX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am having a similar problem with a Panasonic 32PB50 but its happening on Region 2 Pal Lord of the Rings.

What DVD player are you using? I have a Pioneer DV444.

4. drummerboy

drummerboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    buckbeak,
    I've tried a Pioneer 444 and 505

5. DyManiX

DyManiX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Perhaps its something to do with Pioneer Players then.

On my old TV (Thomson) I used to get similar bars but they moved up and down the screen. I got around it in the end by switching to S-video. Not quite as good as RGB but better than normal connection.

I have just purchased a new expensive (£30) Scart lead to see if this makes a difference to my Panasonic set. Will try it tonight.

If it does not fix it I am going to contact Comet and get an Engineer out to see if they can sort it.

6. drummerboy

drummerboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    buckbeak,
    having just read your other thread, you definitely have a different problem to me.

7. DyManiX

DyManiX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Having just re-read your original post, I see your point.

However I did have that problem too. When watching certain Region 1 NTSC discs i got a very thin rainbow line at the very top of the screen.

I managed to remove this by altering the position of the screen in the service menu. I only had to move it up by 2 notches and the screen is much more central now.

Dont know if there is a service menu on the Phillips...

8. drummerboy

drummerboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    buckbeak,
    yes there is but unfortunately (on this model anyway) there is no vertical shift or vertical amplitude adjustments anywhere. Even the engineer thought this was strange.
    But thanks anyway.

9. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The PW9527 and 8000 series are based on EMxE and similar chassis, which use a simplified geometry circuit to reduce manufacturing costs. The deflection processor and deflection drive stages have to be separated somehow, so that stray currents from the high voltage parts of the set will not leak across into the low voltage parts. The way those circuits are separated is simplified in the EMxE chassis compared to the MGxE chassis used in the PW9617 and the older 9000 sets.

This means not all geometry settings can be made directly in the output processor, but some must be adjusted on the 'other side' using potentiometers. Philips have basically taken a step back to the way TV's were built in the past. Unfortunately it also means that the TV cannot precisely adapt to the different scan rates. In the case of the PW9527, this can be even more of a problem as it must be able to work in both 50, 60, 75, 100 and 120Hz depending on the picture mode.

The only way to get rid of the lines with 60Hz input is to have an engineer open up the set and adjust the geometry internally. This will however compromise the geometry with regular 50Hz input instead (giving more overscan). I used to have a set with an EM2E chassis (32PW8707) that had the same problem, plus an inch of barrel distortion. The EMxE chassis are not built to function better than that.

10. drummerboy

drummerboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that Zacabeb.
    Interestingly, because of the above mentioned problem, yesterday I took a DVD player along to the store (Currys) where I bought the TV and asked to try an NTSC disk with some other sets, namely a Philips 32PW9527 (pixel +), a Panasonic 32 W/S (not sure which model, but one of the two cheapest flat screens) and a Sony 32" 100Hz set (again, can't remember the model).
    None of these 3 models had any problems with the NTSC signal.
    I also sneaked a quick look at the service menu options on the Philips, and there were certainly a lot more options under 'Alignment(s)', including one specifically for '100Hz' and the missing (on the 8717, anyway) vertical adjustment options.