1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9616 ultra rant

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Zacabeb, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Since I'm waiting for the 32PW9617 to appear somewhere for me to take a look at, and probably will cost so much more that I cannot trade the 32PW9616 in for it, I felt I should lay my final verdict on the 32PW9616.

We know about the picture tube switch by now. The new tube doesn't work too well in this TV and it has the same problems some have reported in Panasonic TV's. Dirty patches, bad uniformity, moiré, not the least bit flat.

The comb filter is inefficient, which might be because it is a cheap, analog glass delay. Colors are smudgy, with off-air, cable, CVBS and S-video signals. My old Philips (an RPTV made in 1991) had better color processing.

An additional primitive circuit, called TOPIC, is put into the processing chain. Its job is to add extra distortion to the picture. This involves red push, skin tone alteration and luminance dilation (to compensate for the horrible distortion caused by SVM). Looking at a Philips PM5544 pattern (aka Test Card G) all the sine waves are turned square, all the way down to 800kHz. That might help explain why the image feels overly processed and completely lacks depth. The TOPIC also does color transient processing, but since this is already done by the digital processor it just adds overenhancement to colors.

The digital processing doesn't work well. The Natural Motion system randomly chooses to the wrong processing modes and there are tons of artifacts. It also uses color compression to fit the picture into small 12-bit memories. This makes strong colors suffer from the same blurring as on cheap 100Hz sets.

The sound is as bad as can be expected from a TV, but with the addition of a boom-boom subwoofer. The LFE feed is raised grotesquely in level, making the sub rumble like a tornado with the very slightest amount of bass. This is only overvoiced by the hum from the picture tube leaking into the sound circuit, and the occasional whining noise that apparently plagues all new Philips TV's.

You cannot configure the TV properly. The digital input can only be assigned to the first SCART (EXT1), even though there are four SCART's. Amazingly, two of them support RGB, but the two others only support composite making them useless.

That was pretty much how deeply I love the 32PW9616. I hope the 32PW9617 is not as horrible as the 32PW9616.

2. ums69

ums69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After all bull**** from Philips official spokesmen about the reason of the switch to Panasonic tube in one of the best HighEnd models from Philips and one of the best so far WSTV, I cannot wait to see if the Cybertube in 9617 will meet the expectations.

For the destroying of a great 9616 with Cybertube...:mad: Philips should not not brag so much.

I have reserved one 9617 for £1300. Maybe I will be disappointed and someone wonder why I still go for Philips...

Well, after trying Samsung, Panasonic and Sony WS 32" I think that Philips are on the right track.:D

3. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5