1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9595 - Superzoom

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by douglasgrant, Sep 9, 2003.

1. douglasgrant

douglasgrant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've only had this set a couple of days and am pretty pleased with it. I've followed a few Philips threads on this forum and managed to get a picture I'm happy with, but have a question about the picture format, and in particular, superzoom.

My input is sky digital, so I'd like the picture to be widescreen for the majority of the time and autoswitch to 4:3 when appropriate, as dictated by the signal being received. The set has different ideas though and is always mad keen to set the picture to SuperZoom, even when the autopicture setting is set to off.

All I want is the telly to be in the right format for the programme, with the default being widescreen. Can anyone help? Please?

2. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Set your sky box to a channel you know is 4:3 (eg Sky News) and then set your TV to 4:3. You should now find that the set will switch automatically between 4:3 & 16:9 as required.

3. douglasgrant

douglasgrant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks HowieC

I'll try this tonight. Out of interest, does the autoformat setting in the setup menu need to be 'on' for this to work?
    Also, will these setting remain if I switch the set off?

4. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suggest leaving autoformat off, and yes it should remember.

5. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I have a Philips 28PW9308 which also has auto format and I too have been frustrated with this mode and it wanting to super zoom 4:3 pictures and even zooming some widescreen sources from my Sky Digibox.

Seeing it mentioned that you can "switch off" auto format in the setup menu, how do you do this? I have been right through the menu's including setup and cannot find an option to do this?

Please post how here - thanks!

6. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    on my 8807 it is the stop and play button pressed at the same time and then to setup at teh bottom it saysautformat.

I have similar problems with mine. I hate superzoom. but noticed that when you manually set the zoom to 16:9 or wide or whatever that the TV will remember it when you switch it on the next time. and also apply it to other channels, even when autoformat is on.

And How come that when I have a TV braodcast in 2.35:1 it zooms in to 16:9 but then vertically stretches the picture??
    doesn't really bother me though as I only watch the news and DVDs