1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9525

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DavidT, Jan 14, 2002.

1. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    What do you guys think of the above TV. I have read the threads here which seem to be about the 36" model.

It looks a bargain at £980.

Thanks

2. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah! I'd like to know too from all you 'REAL' users. This is on my shortlist...I think. I keep crossing it off and then putting it back on....

£978 all in from Hispek.co.uk

It's bloody hard choosing a telly these days isn't it DavidT?

a review: http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/TV_Large/product_48165.shtml

3. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    You are so right about how hard it is to choose a TV. I am probably going to get a Philips either a 32PW6516 or 32PW9525 but can't make up my mind whether to spend the extra £230 on the 9525.

You can download the 9525 user manual from Philips website, if it helps.

Hispek website states that the stand is optional at £129.88 but when I went to their St.Albans shop I was told that the stand was included.

4. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

After months of reading, searching and deciding on one, just as I thought it was time to sit down and enjoy, the set (Sony kv32FQ75) is giving problem - incurable (so far) due to design flaw. (see various threads on this issue).

My set is going back and have to start searching a replacement all over again.

WHo say spending money is easy ? Or buying an expensive set is problem free ???:( :(

5. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been through the same since last summer.
    Now I've just ordered a JVC 28WFT1, wishing delivery would hurry up though :)
    If this TV has any probs i'll have some explaining to do to my g/f
    I used her credit card to order it and we are just about to exchange on our first house :eek: Also have to find decent kitchen appliances, thats almost just as bad choosing the right makes etc because of all the horror stories on Watchdog.

Sorry to go off topic.

If you can see the TVs in action and they seem good, then get that one and hope your TV is the same, if the ones in the showroom seem good without any visible faults then if your new TV does play up it can be fixed/replaced and not have design flaws like so many do.

6. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Hispek have confirmed that the stand is a extra £130 so thats another TV down as I was stretching to buy it already.

Back to the Philips 6515 I think.

Does anyone know if there are audio outputs at the back of the 6515?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David, the 6515 is a flawed masterpiece. In its favour it has very striking aesthetics, a good features list, an etremely sharp picture and excellent colour. The sound -30w witha sub - is better than anything else in its price range. It's not well endowed with socketry however. All you get round the back is an RGB and s-video scart. No audio, no s-video phono.

I don't know whether you should buy one however. All and I mean ALL Philip's teles at the moment have APPALLING geometry. They can't do the flat thing, I don't know why, but the Real Flat screen curves quite sharply at the extreme corners - more than Tosh tubes or Panasonic's. It also exhibits a kind of reversed S-shaped distortion on the right half. It's very gradual - a bit like an f-hole on a violin. I spotted this recently on a digital broadcast on a 9526. I've seen it now on every set in the range. It's not easy to spot in the showroom however, as it's only visible with widescreen material. Play a DVD and you'll see doorways and window frames bend like one of Uri Gellar's spoons. Try a Stanley Kubrick Disc - they're very good for symetry and angles.

I don't know why Philips can't sort this out as they'd rule the roost otherwise. I've never seen a Tosh that didn't have a red bleed in one or more of the corners, but Philips' convergance is perfect. Also, they're refined the details - when you raise or lower the volume, you don't get a chunky graphic bar that blocks your view for five seconds, the standby light just pulses. It's amazing how much little things like this can enhance your enjoyment. So the set to buy is the 32" Plasma. No geometry nightmares and Philips' class.

(I can't afford it either)

8. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I tend to agree with largedoner as I have got the 28 inch version of this set. It does have a distortion problem on mine down the right hand side. Just do a search on this forum for 6515 and you'll see the problems it has. Other than that the picture is razor sharp, or it was until the focus gun went on it after six months:rolleyes:

What I would say is that the 32inch version (which my mate has) is a totally different tube and hence doesn't exhibit the symptoms above. It is a slightly softer picture though which some people don't like but at least the picture is geometrically correct

As to the socketry - it DOES have L/R audio outs on the back (in the UK at least) and they give a DPL signal. The TV has a built in DPL decoder but translates it into Virtual DPL as it only has 3 built in speakers. I don't use the built in speakers though and just use the 2 phono sockets on the back and put it through my AMP to get proper DPL decoding.

The two Scart sockets on the back are:

EXT1 - RGB, Composite and Audio L/R in
    EXT2 - S-VIDEO, Composite and Audio L/R in

The EXT3 sockets hidden down the right hand side of the TV are S-VIDEO, Composite and Audio L/R in

I am sure EXT1/2 has scart passthough to EXT2/1 but since I don't use this I'm not entirely sure.

Hope this helps.

9. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Thanks for the responses on the 6515.

I haven't noticed any geometry problems on the 32" sets that I have seen. This TV is still high on my list along with the Panasonic TX32PL1.

For what its worth I had a long discussion with a salesman in Hispek and on picture quality he rated Panasonic best, Philips second and JVC (AV32WFT1) third. On sound quality Philips, JVC, Panasonic. On features Philips, JVC, Panasonic. And (his opinion and mine) design Philips first, Panasonic second and JVC third.

Ok my mind is made up, I will try the 6515, I'll get John Lewis to price match it and throw in the free 5year warranty.

I'll let you know how I get on.

One last question, how should I connect my kit to it, I will have a VCR, DVD and NTL Digibox. I'll connect my hifi to the audio outs at the back.

Thanks

10. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,
    I'm getting my 32" 6515 tomorrow and will let you know how I get on. I must admit I am a bit wary having read previous threads but it seems you can't guarantee anything in this game.

11. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Thanks, I would be interested to here from you.

12. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,
    Guess what? It didn't arrive on Friday and after a bit of chit chat with the supplier I have been assured that it will arrive on Tuesday (Tomorrow). I will let you know what its like as soon as I can.

13. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I posted this same question under "Anyone up to the challenge" but eventually found out myself that the best option is to link them via full 21pin leads as follows

VCR AV1 (in/out) Scart to VCR scart on NTLDigi box
    NTL Digibox TV scart socket to 2nd scart socket on DVD player
    DVD scart socket 1 to TV - EXT 1

That way you just watch everything on EXT1 i.e. no need to change channels. You will get an RGB picture from the DVD and NTL signals and a composite signal through from the VCR. The TV automatically sizes and changes to accept the two signal types.

When I press play on the VCR (just turning it on isn't enough) this sends a signal via the scart lead to the NTL Digibox which surprisingly it actually acknowledges and hence outputs the vcr signal through its TV scart socket instead. Switching the VCR off reverts it to the NTL digi channel signal.

Basically turning any of the components on overrides whatever is currently displaying an image, so usually I have the vcr and dvd player turned off and the ntl digibox on. Then when I want to watch a vcr or dvd I just turn them on and press play.

BTW - I wouldn't worry to much about the geometry as I have been into the service menus and most of the settings are self explanatory. Suffice to say with a DVD test disc (and some final checking of 16:9/4:3 NTL channels) my picture is a lot better geometry wise now.

Hope this helps.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got a 32" 6515 and the is a concave edge when watching 4/3 and verticle lines are deformed (the bbc news is easiest for seeing this) but its very minor and not really noticeable. Just remember if you wanted a TV and were looking for one with no faults,then by doing a search on this forum you'dd see there are'nt any!:D

15. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,
    Got the set all setup last night and I am pretty impressed. I can't physically see any problems with the picture on normal TV broadcast and DVD playback is stunning. I had to adjust contrast, brightness and colour (as suggested in What Hi-Fi) but I believe this is the case with all TV's as they are setup for shop showrooms. I am pleased with it so far but its early days. I will update you if I notice anything. Having read a lot of the other threads it appears that the problems were mainly with the 28" model although some 32" models were mentioned.
    It's a bit of minefield this TV thing.
    Goodluck.

16. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Thanks for the feedback Mitch.

I have another TV to think about, Hitachi C32WF535N. This TV looks to be a bargain, 32" w/s, Dolby Digital, 3x scarts (2 are RGB), Dolby Digital line outs, £830. I can't find a review online but understand that What HiFi gave it a very good review.

Anyone got one of these.

BTW Mitch, The Philips stand that I have seen in pictures looks like it has dark blue smoked glass shelves, but the model I looked at in Currys had opaque sky blue glass shelves. What colour would you say yours are.

Thanks

17. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are joking!! £830? Where from?

18. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,
    Sorry, but I got one without the stand (£649 at Hispek.com) although the one I saw in my local Curry's was the same as the one you saw

19. dustyboy

dustyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. dustyboy

dustyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    C32WF535N £799 from Empire Direct.

The £699 metioned above is NOT brand new but graded stock which I believe means there could be slight damage.

22. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Mitch

Hows the Philips 6515 going, I have just ordered one from John Lewis.

23. Kevin Clark

Kevin Clark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the John Lewis delivery time like?
    days/weeks/months?

Kev

24. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I've been told to expect a call mid february.