1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9509

Discussion in 'TVs' started by cknighton, Jan 3, 2005.

1. cknighton

cknighton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    undefined

Hi
    I've just taken delivery of my new Philips PixelPlus 2 TV. I have always had cheap standard sets in the past so I am a little sketchy on the technical side of things. If anyone can help me with a few queries, it would be much appreciated:

I am very disappointed by the sound - no matter what I do I can't seem to make the settings come alive. Talk is very muted and background noise dominates. I have scrolled through the factory settings and none improve matters. I have changed the equalisers in search of clarity but with no success. I have also changed from Dolby Virtual surround to "Off" and found the latter marginally more acceptable. My old set was a cheap Proline 4:3 set with Nicam sound - I've hooked it back up and in comparison sounds very pleasant. I am sure that a £1100 set should at least be clear...do I have a faulty set because I picked it up very cheap (£750) from Anything-direct.com???

Does the Pix+2 work with the Digital Motion facility or is it "either or". When in this mode I am finding the background is blurred in favour of the foreground to the point that it appears that the program was filmed badly on blue screen and the outline of the faces are projected out (hardly likely on some of the films I have watched).

That's it for now - I agree with an earlier comment that the settings take a lot of fiddling. I could probably adapt my eyes to the Pix+2 but not if the sound stays so poor. I am reluctant to contact the website until I have convinced myself it is not just me being stupid!

2. martin999

martin999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my TV for about 9 months now. The sound is very clear, i use a standard setting. For picture, i prefer the MoviePlus setting. Also turn dyn contrast and the other sim setting (can't remember its name, but there on same line) to min.
    Colour and brightness to around 50.

Martin999

3. simple

simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cknighton
    I could have written your post myself. Same TV set same problem. My 15 years old Sony had a far better sound.
    With 332PW9509 the stereo is almost nonexistent and the sound is undefined. I bought it after reading several reviews. What Video & Widescreen TV rated the sound four stars and described it as (Sound is) just outstanding.
    To say that I am disappointed would be an understatement but I still hope there is some solution for our problem.
    I contacted the Philips website and I’m still waiting for the answer.

4. cknighton

cknighton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simple
    From what I gather, the Philips support team are a bit of a waste of space but I hope you get some answers. Be sure to post them if you do!
    Nice one...

5. Superdan

Superdan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that when I took my 9509 out the box. Speech muted and boomy...after playing with the various equalizer levels I managed to crack it.

6. simple

simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PHILIPS

Dear Sir / Madam,

We have received your e-mail and will answer your question within two business days.

With kindest regards,
    Philips Customer Care Centres

It's been a month now, and of course no answer. I'm going to stay away from Philips from now on. And don't trust any tests. Go to the shop and test everything yourself.
    BTW - the menus are just clumsy, stupid and confusing.
    Same goes for the DVDR75. So much for the "Setting the standard" (WV&WS, March 2004). Better luck next time.

7. tuftus

tuftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just picked one of these up too, can't comment on the sound as I have a dedicated hom e cinema amp to take care of that...

What do you think of the Picture Quality / Geometry though?

Post your setting please if you feel you may also have cracked that too...

Cheers

Tuftus