1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9509

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Goggleyes, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Goggleyes

Goggleyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Recently bought a Philips 32PW9509 and have the following "problems"
    - 2 dark/black bars, one on far left, the other 3/4 of way from left to right.
    - One bright bar in middle.
    - Dirty window syndrome during horizontal panning as a consequence of the above.
    - Horizontal droop on bottom right of screen
    - Green tinge at either side of screen (with white background)
    - Ghosting, most noticable to the RHS of faces against a dark background. Even when running in 100Hz digital scan mode.
    - Very average sound quality and only after lots of tweaking.

Having said the above, it is capable of generating very nice pictures given a broadcast of decent quality/bitrate. I'm using a Twins Freeview PVR (via RGB).

The things that most bother me are the 'dirty window effect' and the ghosting. Has someone out there got
    a 32PW9509 free of these problems or is it just par for the course ?

I was looking at the TVs in John Lewis over the weekend and the only other TV suffering from the panning problem was a Panasonic - looked as if it had the same tube as the Philips, a coincidence perhaps!

Cheers

2. sian

sian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I have:
    - similar problem with dark/black vertical bars. It seems they are on same positions as on your set.
    - dirty screen during horizontal panning, but only with quick move
    - i dont have problem with ghosting (you have it on DVD too?)

What makes me angry->this vertical bars, but it looks that this problem have many of these sets :rolleyes: I want send it back for repair but now i dont know.
    With DVD source i am using mostly PP2, on SAT MoviePlus. With 100Hz i hate that movements are little jerky.

3. Goggleyes

Goggleyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Encouraging (sort of) to see you have similar problems.

I don't have a DVD player, so can't tell the effect that might have on the ghosting. It's as if the halo visible with PP2 is not quite switched-out completely when in 100Hz mode. It's quite a "wide" ghost, about an inch from the RHS edge that's initiated it. Especially visible on faces for some reason.

Like you I can't decide whether to take it back. Not quite the position I'd expect to be in having bought a TV that's received blinding reviews by virtually all the mags :-(

4. Superdan

Superdan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in the same boat. Bought one, sent it back last week because of 2 vertical lines just off centre of the screen. Replacement is slightly better..only one line!! Cant really notice them when viewing normal telly, but when watching footy, they are really apparent. Waiting for electricalworld to tell me if they are going to send another one. (am using this website as referenvce in my arguments!)

The set has cracking picture otherwise...agree sound is very average and takes ages to setup to avoid the booming it seems to generate

5. DOCTOR FURBY

DOCTOR FURBY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've had the same problem with two Philips 32PW9588 TVs. It is particularly noticeable when watching football when the camera pans left or right on wide shots. We had hoped that Philips would resolve this issue with Pixel Plus 2. However, saw some football on a 32PW9509 in a shop and the problem is still there. Apart from this fault, the 32PW9588 has an awesome picture.

6. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I am not mistaken your Philips has a Panasonic tube.

7. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problems as you have described with the dirty screen effect causing the most grief (no ghosting tho' unless you mean the background flickering as the camera follows a person walking, this also bothered me). Mine went back too after 3 weeks of fiddling, hats off to JL for superb service.

As far as I've heard the panny tubes have a single pixel half way down each side outside the standard boarder, which mine had, so your observations are correct.

Good luck :smashin:

8. Goggleyes

Goggleyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, though I still don't know what to do. Perhaps if I had only one problem that really bothered me I'd be happier to live with it, but the dark bands and the ghosting makes me feel slightly cheated.

Another thing I've noticed is the fact that in order to get shadow detail, I feel I have to crank up the brightness too far, making the whole picture hazy. The contrast doesn't seem to have much bearing on this, though the set seems to favour a high setting which causes bright areas to look burnt-out.

The preset 'Smart Picture' settings are biased toward a very dark, contrasty and strongly coloured image. To the extent that I've tried watching with the lights out in an effort to see sufficient low lit detail in the picture - Rich seemed "best"/least odd. This does give a cinematic effect but it's not something I ever felt the need to do with my previous 12 year old Philips Matchline (100Hz) with
    Mullard tube.

Am I missing something here? Obviously I've got my own settings for watching in normal lighting conditions, but the fact that these are so far removed from the presets is "interesting" to say the least.

One more observation, the side effects of PP2 are less pronounced with the darker/stronger settings of the various presets, though this could be simply because you can't see what's going on anyway!

Cheers

PS.
    I'm watching Freeview via RGB.