1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9509 vs JVC 32D40

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Will_Marsh, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else had the opportunity to compare these two TV's side by side. I am trying to decide between the two, IDTV is not really a consideration, my prime concern is picture quality. Unfortunately the only way I got to compare the sets was with the JVC outputing IDTV and the other analogue, hardly a fair test! The philips was briefly hooked up to a DVD but a fairly crap one and I couldn't tell if the RGB scart was used, there seemed to be dull colours with some colour bleed, is this just the picture as it comes or, as i suspect, poor setup?

From what i saw today the JVC looked the better set (also includes component and prog scan) but, from what i've read on here the philips can be especially sensitive to setup parameters and excellent when correctly adjusted.

I hope to find another store tomorrow to get a better demo with some of my own DVD's but I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has had experience or considered either TV in their lineup.

Thanks for the excellent knowledgebase (no ref to MS intended!) that this forum is.

2. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Philips 9509 (£779 from John Lewis) and I'm *extremely* impressed by the picture. On an RGB feed from my DVD player there is absolutely no bleed - the picture is incredibly sharp and well defined. Even my wife, who is not normally interested in these things, is amazed by the picture quality - its like looking through a window onto the film set and seems almost TOO realistic, if that's possible.

There is a vast range of parameters to adjust (I used the 'Digital Video Essentials' DVD), but once set up correctly you will not be disappointed.

3. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate your reply, got a chance to view both in John Lewis Solihull (my nearest) and had a better opportunity to compare them. The staff were excellent, very helpful, getting the manual and remotes out for me to "play" with the sets for a while. They then hooked up a DVD to each and let me view some DVD's I'd brought with me. Thumbs up the JL and their service and I havn't bought a TV yet! Think the philips came out top based on today's experience, will be going back tomorrow to get a second opinion.

Thanks and I hope I can finally make up my mind!

4. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9509 is the best picture I have seen on any TV. The detail on DVD is awesome.

5. Reppy

Reppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Microstar.

Who did you get JL to price match with to get the 9509 for £779? I'm after one of these myself...

Thanks.

6. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL Nottingham pricematched the 9509 at £779 with 'TV and Video Direct' of Bolton. I was outside of the store's 'free delivery' radius so I had to pay £30 delivery on top (although I could have gone and collected it, but its a *heavy* set). Well worth it for the 5-year warranty though.

I set the TV up using 'Digital Video Essentials' DVD. Went through all the tests etc. and convergence and geometry are spot on. I couldn't be happier with it.

7. Reppy

Reppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great - Thanks Microstar.

8. gavsim

gavsim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am waiting back from JohnLewis Newcastle to see if they can price match TV Video Direct of Bolton, I really hope they can!!! Should hear back in the next few days.

9. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got JL Solihull to pricematch HiSpek for £789 on the 32PW9509, delivered wednesday, cant wait!! Thanks to all the help and insight this forum provides.

10. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rolls eyes ... Been trying with Cheadle (won't pricematch), Sheffield (won't pricematch) and Liverpool (no reply yet) for this telly , :(

btw Will, £789 was the hispek price without the £71.88 stand - did they include that in the price? Maybe I should just phone Solihull and ask them for the same deal... Did you go into the store or contact the av dept, or go direct to the 'undersales' dept?

11. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tonytol

You're obviously struggling on this one. As you know I got mine from JL Nottingham for £779 (inc. stand). Why don't you get one from there too? Obviously you live in the North West, but JL Nottingham are not too far off the M1 and if you have a hatchback car (Mondeo size) the boxes should fit in, although you would need some help to lift in and out. Delivery of one of these sets is going to be a minimum £30, so you can save that and use it for the petrol.

If you ring them and speak to 'John in the call centre' then I'm sure they'd fix you up. They were very helpful indeed when I dealt with them.

12. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Microstar. I phoned JL Nottingham this afternoon and they are getting back to me. They were a lot more helpful than the other JLs I've tried. Don't mind paying £30 or so for delivery if I can get the telly for < £800.

13. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spotted the 32PW9509 at Total digital for £649, no stand but...

also got the 32PW9618 for £729! Just paid £790 for mine, hope TD have made a mistake otherwise that'll bite!

14. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL Nottingham HAVE pricematched against TV & Video Direct in Bolton, and will supply the telly, however, the delivery charge is £70!!! They suggested I call Cheadle to see if I'm in thier delivery zone, (bit strange as I would expect it comes from a central depot). Also said however that Cheadle may want to check the details again and as I've been turned down twice there.... - ah - also, TV&VD delivery is around +£40, so for only £30 extra I get the telly of my choice and the JL after-sales service :) For more effort I may be able to shave off a few quid, but I think it's time to commit - who said us guys were commitment-phobes? :laugh:

15. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest £70 is what I would expect if you live a fair distance away. These TV's are really heavy and the box is big too (would only just go through my front door). Its a 'two man job' every step of the way.
    The TV's don't come from a central depot - mine actually came from a JL depot at Arnold, near Nottingham.
    Even if you pay the £70 its still not a bad deal. TV & Video Direct seem to have a minimum £34.99 delivery - so by paying an extra £35 over and above that you are getting the JL five-year parts and labour warranty - well worth it I think!

16. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the confirmation today from JL Nottingham - getting the 32PW9509 delivered next Tuesday :) Caroline at the call centre is on my Christmas Card list ;)
    Measured the door and it will just fit through. Thanks for all the help Microstar :)

Celebrated my saving by buying more DVD's (UFO & Alias boxsets)

17. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

Get a copy of 'Digital Video Essentials' DVD (mine cost £12) - very useful to set the tv up and check everything out.

18. Reppy

Reppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darn it - HiSpek are now charging £879.99 for the 32PW9509. I'm looking for a local store that JL Solihull is happy to price match...

19. Reppy

Reppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke with TV & Video Direct and they say the online price for the 32PW9509C is £763.99 and the in-store price is £899.99.

I assume JL will only price match the £899.99 :(

20. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have been looking at either the Philips 32PW9509 or Toshiba 36ZP48. Viewed both of them 2 weeks ago and Philips picture seemed slightly better than the Toshiba unit.

Have heard that certain 100 Hz tellies can struggle with displaying football pictures, so I recorded the Man Utd game on DVD and played the football on both of these models today. The Toshiba one was not bad, but the Philips picture was awful even on all 4 display modes.

What are anyones comments please, on the Philips 32PW9509 for watching footy?

Should I maybe look at one of the older 50 Hz models?

PS: can someone please comment as so far I have posted two questions on this topic and no replies both times :thumbsdow

21. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wierd! A few weeks ago TV & Video Direct quoted me an in-store price of £779 (inc. stand) and this is what JL Nottingham pricematched to.

Maybe TV & Video Direct are getting wise to that fact that they are being used for 'pricematiching' and are being a little less open over the 'phone?

22. Reppy

Reppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you're right Microstar 'cause TV & Video Direct also said they'd sell it to me at the internet price if I didn't have internet access. The trouble is, this is effectively negotiating a price, and JL wont go for that apparently.

I'm running out of options. The JL staff I spoke with were really friendly and helpful, and said they'd definitely match "like for like". I just need to find one at the right price... Any suggestions?

23. Reppy

Reppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I popped over to JL Solihull today, to have a look at the 32PW9509 in action. I wasn't impressed. After reading all of the rave comments here, I can only assume it was an issue with the setup as the picture quality left a lot to be desired. I went fully to JL fully intending to buy one (I was hoping they'd price match HiSpek without chasing it up again), but walked away needing to do a little more investigation before shelling out my hard earned ca$h.

24. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect you either saw a faulty or badly setup set. I work with TVs and monitors as part of my job and I've seen all kinds of displays (inc. plasma, projection etc.) and I can definitely say that the 9509 is up there in the top few percent of the best displays. The picture quality should be vivid and pin-sharp.

The only real criticism I have of the set it that the EHT (tube high voltage supply) could be better regulated - the picture tends to 'breathe' (grow or shrink slightly) when the brightness suddenly changes. Curiously enough this has been a 'charactieristic' of Philips TV's for at least the last 20 years!

25. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    32PW9509 was delivered yesterday. JL Nottingham delivered to Cheadle, who then delivered to me. The very polite and helpful delivery drivers (really!) asked why I'd ordered it from Nottingham ;)

It only just fit through the door and into the room - once everything is unpacked there isn't much space to work in, and I'm self-sufficient in cardboard for the next few years.

On terrestrial the picture is fantastic - much better than any I've seen in-store. The only setting I changed was to 'natural', the sparse manual has a loose page saying it's setup for in-store viewing and needs adjusting to this.

I gave it a quick go from DVD input and the picture seems quite poor - grainy(?) with blurred text on menus. I suspect that this is a combination of wrong/incompatible settings on both the TV and DVD player, and didn't have time last night to tweak it (It's in EXT1 I think, and input mode set to DVD, the DVD player should be outputting RGB).

Tonight I'll try to get the DVD input improved, and plug in & try the Freeview & VCR.

Update: settings adjusted on the DVD and telly and the pic is now quite superb with DVDs. I'm sure there is more to change to improve even further - the auto mode on widescreen seems to dislike R1 DVD's - everyone looks a bit thin. I think the brightness/contrast needs some work too.