1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9509: Keep It/Ditch It?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Will_Marsh, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the 9509 for about 2 weeks now and have noticed a number of the issues highlighted in these forums. I have the light/white band down the centre of the screen, especially noticable on lighter/plain backgrounds and during panning shots. I have only once or twice noticed the darker banding down each side, approx where the 4:3 black boarders are. Both of the above are not really probs, I could live with them, but the other, most noticable and annoying issue is a "dirty screen" effect. On any panning shots with lighter backgrounds the upper right quadrant of the screen looks to have a dirty patch that makes the panning jerky and the image does not remain smooth(difficult to explain!).

It is very noticable once it has been pointed out and, for £800, I'd expect better. Do all WS TV's suffer this problem, can I expect to have a smooth image over panning shots? Got the TV from John Lewis so am tempted to send it back until I can find one I'm happy with. I find myself constantly picking up on problems rather than enjoying watching whats on it!

Is it too much to ask for a TV that has no errors, can I ever expect to happy with it? The picture, apart from the above issues, is the best I've seen and I spent a long time in various AV stores looking at this model and researching (with the help of this forum). I guess what I'm asking is would you accept it as "just life" or expect better and push for it?

Thanks Everyone, this forum is invaluable!

2. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 9308, which is the model before yours. Mine also does the same thing and so do all the ones I have seen. It is not only a Philips problem but one I have seen on most large widescreen TV's. If in doubt, call Philips and ask them but to be honest, they probably won't have an answer.
    More comments on this will be welcome!!

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Will,

The main question to ask yourself is whether you could ever be happy with this particular TV.

From what you say, the answer seems to be "no". :thumbsdow

It's a pity that you've only spotted faults after being 'prompted' by the Forum, but it's too late now.

I'm afraid that no TV is perfect, no matter how much it costs. :lesson:

Since you've bought from JL, all is not lost, but only you can decide whether to test out their "Customer Satisfaction" policy.

Good luck. :)

4. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to send the TV back. JL are going to come and pick it up and give a refund. Its a shame as the TV picture was great but the dirty screen was just too much of an issue.

Thanks for the replies. Niburu/Tight Git are you both saying that all widescreen TV's will display a dirty screen effect when panning or not show a clean picture?

I was considering the JVC D40 or P37 models, but if I've interpreted what you said correctly I'll save my money and spend it on something else, somehow i'll survive on a 20" 4:3 that cost £30! Geometry/overscan issues do not concern me as much as general viewing quality.

Hopefully it won't take me a further 6 months to decide on the next model!

Will

5. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will_Marsh.

I would recommend that you arm yourself with a DVD that would show up these imperfections and go shopping! Ask the retailer to play the DVD and see which TV suits your taste the most.
    I have seen quite a few widescreen TV's (old and new) and they all seem to display some sort of dirtiness. My Philips seems to be quite good compared to a lot of other TV's I've seen (Sony, Panny etc) but it can vary from one like TV to another like TV.
    Otherwise, go for Plasma in a year or so, they should have come down in price.

6. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Niburu,

I went to JL with a couple of DVD's but guess until the TV is properly set up and where you want it then you won't see the problems. Th lighting in store doesn't help either. JL are happy to take it back so will get a refund and see what else comes up. Am considering the JVC 32D40 (was between this and the philips anyway) but it doesn't look as good and the picture wasn't as stunning as with the philips. I bet that now the picture will look fuzzy on any other WS TV. Oh well! The defects are most noticable with the opening scene on LOTR TT EE with the flyby of the mountains. Maybe I'm just too critical but if thats the case then I will hold onto my money until something else come out.

All the advice much appreciated, thanks

7. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just completed returning my Philips 32PW9509 to JL. Was a little worried after reading a later post that they would dock 10% but they have refunded the full amount! :clap: I have nothing but great things to say about JL and so glad that I went with them in the end over an internet retailer. They delivered and picked it up free of charge from my door and price matched, knocking over £300 off list!

If I had decided what TV I was going to buy next I would, without question, get it from JL.

In reply to Tight Git earlier, I was prompted to look for these issues but a number of my mates also said "what is that effect on the screen..." and as far as I know they have no previous HC experience or particularly critical eyes, unlike me, but then again it is my money! Anyway I'm sure I'd have noticed the dirty screen whether I was looking for it or not, it was that bad!

8. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Will which JL shop did you use and which shop did JL price match against as seem very strict now on any deals for pricematching.

9. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I cannot recommend the Toshiba 32ZP48 highly enough. Regards, yt.