1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32PW9509 doesn't recognise RGB only

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tofu, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Tofu

Tofu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Profigold PGV7500 scart to scart RGB only(video) cable today and found that it displays only composite on my CRT. I've tested other RGB Scart(Audio & video) cables with no problem. Has anyone come across problems like this before?

My setup: Denon 500SD (RGB Scart Out) - to - Philips 32PW9509 (RGB Scart In).

Does having an RGB only scart meant only for sockets that support just RGB input and not RGB and Audio(AV)?

If it's the TV, how do I make a Philips 32PW9509 recognise RGB (video) input not RGB (audio/video)?

I bought this lead to improve PQ not display composite :(

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It certainly shouldnt make any difference - generally the audio pins are either not connected or not present in a video only cable but is otherwise identical.

I assume that you have connected the scart to an RGB compatable socket on your TV (the same one as you are connecting the cable which you are receiving an RGB signal from?)

3. Tofu

Tofu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    I double checked it was connected to the right RGB socket, the other A/V cables display RGB no problem.

Do you think the Denon switches it to composite or I have a dodgy cable?

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I do not know how the TV knows that it is receiving a RGB signal from the source. It may be worth posting your question on the Cables forum as those guys have far too much knowledge of technology/physics and will know the best solution.

5. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tofu,

If you search this forum your find a couple of us have had the same problem with RGB on this set. I've had two that have had problems with RBG but only on SCART3. You may have to get it changed until you find one that works OK with your system setup.

Bazza

6. Tofu

Tofu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bazza, yeah I know about the RGB scart 3 problems, my set displays RGB on scart 1 & 2 and composite on 3. It's probably easier to just use an AV RGB cable, QED, IXOS would do for now.

7. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tofu

It might be that as the cable is RGB only it doesn't have the switching pin connected (pin 8 I think) and the 9509 requires this signal to automatically select RGB. Some TV's can be switched manually but I dont think this one can.

Wackojacko32

8. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB on Scart 2??? I thought RGB is only available on Scart 1 & 3 with S-Video on 2.

Bazza

9. Tofu

Tofu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB in - Top Vertical scart, RGB in Top Horizontal scart. I'm guessing they're 1 & 2 ... not the best positioning as my scarts are touching each other and don't fit perfectly - but do produce a good RGB signal.

Is there a special service mode you can access in the TV's menu setup? I'm curious to see what other options there are, if any.

10. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I remember correctly from when I had my 9509 (sent back due to various faults) the scarts are

Top Horizontal - Scart 1
    Bottom Horizontal - Scart 2
    Vertical - Scart 3

So you are using 1 and 3 which are the RGB scarts as Bazza said. You could just :rtfm: :D

Wackojacko32

11. Tofu

Tofu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i guess i am using 1 & 3 ... the sockets work, but not with the Profigold scart ... it might be the switching pin - i'll get in touch with Profigold and ask. thanks for your help :)